Menu

When you think of comfort food

Chicken and stuffing comes to mind. Maybe some mashed potatoes on the side.

Chicken Pot Pie is another, but my mom makes it completely different than anything I've ever seen. She makes it with homemade noodles that are made from flour, salt, and egg. The noodles are large and square and sometimes a bit doughy inside.

I'm from the northeast and grew up with the flavor of PA Dutch/Amish cooking.

I have many:

potato soup

veggie soup

chicken noodle soup

grilled cheese with one of the above soups if it is a needy day

lasagna

homemade mac and cheese

homemade bread

hot tea

chicken and dumplings

meatloaf

steak and baked potato

Chili

ETA: I"m a navy brat. I don't have a home.

Edited by Parrothead

A bowl of soup (chicken noodle perhaps).

A grilled cheese sandwich.

Bread and butter.

Peanut butter and jelly.

Maybe some pancakes (if it were morning instead of more like lunch/dinner).

An ice cream sundae :D

Born and raised in NY, living for almost 10 years in PA.

I have many:

potato soup

veggie soup

chicken noodle soup

grilled cheese with one of the above soups if it is a needy day

lasagna

homemade mac and cheese

homemade bread

hot tea

chicken and dumplings

meatloaf

steak and baked potato

Chili

ETA: I"m a navy brat. I don't have a home.

In this case, wouldn't it probably matter where your parents were from? Especially the cook in the family? My kids were born in California and Germany and have lived all over. But, their "comfort foods" will probably be those associated with me and my dh (we grew up in TX and OK). Does that make sense?

OK, I'm from So.CA, but lived overseas for a good part of growing up.

My favorite comfort foods:

Chicken and Dumplings

Mexican food....burritos, enchiladas....you name it, I love it

Mashed Potatoes and gravy with: Fried chicken, pot roast, steak, pork chops....etc.

Chocolate chip cookies and/or dough

hot cocoa

diet coke from the fountain

french toast

chocolate of any kind. anything from Trader Joes preferred

Originally from New Hampshire, so what comes to mind is

meatloaf and mashed potatoes (anything with mashed potatoes, actually! :))

pot roast with potatoes and carrots

shepherd's pie

lasagna and warm bread

my grandmother's chicken soup and saltines w/butter on them

chicken pot pie

grilled cheese and tomato soup

Now that I've been in the south for a while, I've added homemade mac & cheese to my list... so good!

Comfort food for when I'm sick: soup and crackers

Comfort food for loss of loved one (what the church folks bring): meatloaf, chicken tetrazini, mashed potatoes, pasta salad, green beans ISH.

Comfort food for when I'm anxious/sad/blue: Little Debbie Nutty Bar and Coke (I know....HORRORS!).

I'm from deep south.

Milk. Chocolate. Milk and chocolate.

I don't have very fond memories of food from growing up, save perhaps for turkey and fixin dinners for Thanksgiving.

My MIL was a terrific cook, but for many reasons, I don't really have very fond memories of dining with them, either.

I guess my first grown-up comfort food memories came when I moved to college and began dining out with friends and learned that meals could be an enjoyable social occasion. We used to eat a type of deli sandwich that was steamed on a steam table. I actually don't know if there's any place that makes such things any more as I've not seen such a thing in decades. Boy, were they terrific! And we used to go to a nice restaurant on Friday nights to have a filet mignon, with a salad and baked potato - good stuff. I think that time in my life made me come to value eating out and I think it's at least part of why I still eat out on a regular basis with my family. I really enjoy it and it's one of the few things in life I spend money on for myself. So eating out is "comfort food" for me, no matter what the dish....

Dh's is green chile stew and he's from New Mexico.

Mine is scrambled eggs and toast, since that's what my mom made me when I was sick and it always did seem comforting. Also, chicken pot pie since my mom made it from scratch and it was so warm and comforting in the winter. And tea and cinnamon toast in the morning. I'm from MI.

This thread is making me hungry!:drool5: I'm from TX and my comfort foods would be my mom's chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes (with gravy, of course), red beans and cornbread. She visits twice a year and always makes it for me. When I was pregnant everything made me sick. My mom came to visit and this is all I ate for a week and finally gained weight. Now I'm ready for her next visit.

In this case, wouldn't it probably matter where your parents were from? Especially the cook in the family? My kids were born in California and Germany and have lived all over. But, their "comfort foods" will probably be those associated with me and my dh (we grew up in TX and OK). Does that make sense?

That is a very good hypothesis. But in my case half of those things on my list, my mom, the main cook while I was growing up, does not make.

Some of the things on my list are regional. I met homemade chicken and dumplings when I was 20 living in SC. The mac and cheese too. The other soups are mine. I started making them some while in GA and some our first winter in MT. The bread comes from my grandmother who lived in Ohio.

I think only the chili, the grilled cheese, the tea and the meatloaf are my mother's. The rest I've picked up along our travels. I know the steak and potato is simply because of my dh.

1. Ice Cream. Did you know AK outranks all the other states in ice cream sales even though our population is far less? And it's cold most of the year, so you'd think it wouldn't sell well. I don't mind it, though. :)

2. Mashed Potatoes + butter or country gravy

3. Thick Stew w/ meat, veggies, and homemade noodles, or Fish and corn chowder (halibut or salmon)

4. Chicken'n'Dumplings

5. Chili stew w/ cheddar & onions on top w/ cornbread

6. Italian food heavy on the carbs & cheese or cream sauces.

1. Ice Cream. Did you know AK outranks all the other states in ice cream sales even though our population is far less? And it's cold most of the year, so you'd think it wouldn't sell well. I don't mind it, though. :)

It makes perfect sense to me. I love ice cream in the winter more than any other time of year.