Menu

Another round of layoffs at dh's work.

This is the 3rd or 4th round in the past couple of months. It started at the top and the corporate level, so we weren't too worried, but today's (surprise) layoffs were everyday workers like dh. It wasn't his dept., but I am beginning to worry a little. Only 2 people have been hired in his dept. since he was hired - one is over the irrigation (which dh can't do) and another has welding skills (which dh does not.) His job is low-level labor.

ARRGGHHH! FL unemployment MAXES at $245 a week, so we couldn't get by. The van needs $1500 worth of work (and I can't drive it at high speeds until it is fixed, so no camping this weekend and no trip to NC at Thanksgiving if we don't get it fixed.) The trailer we are living in is currently in foreclosure and even if that gets pulled out, it will be part of a bankruptcy any day.

*sigh* Sometimes I feel like we will never get out of this hole!!!! We need to leave here, but we don't have any money to go anywhere else. Even if we were to sell everything, we wouldn't have enough to go.

January needs to hurry up and get here.

It's probably not that comforting, but I bet there are a lot of people in similar circumstances. Our country seems to be falling apart.

There are plenty! What about all the poor people who were laid off today? Dh wasn't at work (we heard about it on the news.) Yes, around here it is news because dh works for one of the most prominent employers in the area. This is a dept. that he worked with regularly, so it is likely these were people he knew.:mad:

I am just now feeling like there is a light at the end of the tunnel and something is trying to block it, KWIM?:glare:

NOOOOOOO!!!!!

I think this is in response to the van issue?:lol: Don't worry - that problem is now solved. Someone in my family donated the money to fix the most important part so we can come.:D A little more light at the end, now.;)

Still, though, my prayers today go out to everyone unemployed or in danger of being laid off!

:grouphug:

Renee, I'm so sorry. Both people I know who had DHs in exec positions at your dh's company have had tough times. One had a 50K pay cut when his position was dissolved and he was forced into sales. The other has taken a cut as well, just not as severe.

We talk about it so often because we truly are stuck here. No money to be made here to even save up the money to get out of here. The only money to be made is in Orlando but that's about an hour away. Most of my neighbors had commutes of an hour ++ just to get to work everyday.

HUGS

Renee, I'm so sorry. Both people I know who had DHs in exec positions at your dh's company have had tough times. One had a 50K pay cut when his position was dissolved and he was forced into sales. The other has taken a cut as well, just not as severe.

We talk about it so often because we truly are stuck here. No money to be made here to even save up the money to get out of here. The only money to be made is in Orlando but that's about an hour away. Most of my neighbors had commutes of an hour ++ just to get to work everyday.

HUGS

:grouphug: I know there are a lot of us here that are feeling the same way!

My sympathies. We've just been booted back to the unemployment pile too and I'm thanking my lucky stars we have no debt and can afford to be unemployed. Weird thing to be grateful for, but I am!

I hope your hubby can stick there long enough to get the experience he needs to be able to seek something more stable.

Rosie

Rosie, I am so sorry! :grouphug:

I really wonder how people are managing. A contractor told me that half of his business right now is foreclosures that need repairs before they can be sold. He said it's so sad to see people's things still in the houses . . .

Renee, what a difficult situation. I hope and pray your dh doesn't get laid off. Still, where will you go when you have to leave the trailer? In FL are there any programs for low income housing for families like yours? Have you had a frank talk with people to know what your rights are and which benefits you can receive whether or not your dh loses his job?

Renee, what a difficult situation. I hope and pray your dh doesn't get laid off. Still, where will you go when you have to leave the trailer? In FL are there any programs for low income housing for families like yours? Have you had a frank talk with people to know what your rights are and which benefits you can receive whether or not your dh loses his job?

I don't know. We're hoping it holds off until spring (it should - those things take time.) As for low income housing, no. The waiting list for housing help is YEARS long and they aren't even taking applications now (they only do it once every 5 years or so.) In order to get into actual gov't housing, we would have to move into a homeless shelter first for awhile. But, to be honest, we would live in a tent in a campground before we would live in public housing here. If it happens before we can leave, we will figure out something (we could really live in a campground, or a motel during the off-season.)

He talked to a guy from work last night. It was actually WORSE than the news reported. One dept. was laid off entirely (people dh liked and worked with regularly) and another dept. was given their responsibilities. The dept. that laid off 25 people? That was just today. The attraction they worked for is closing down all together next month! It will only be open during events and they will use temp workers. So all those people will be out of work. Not only that, but without year-round attractions, dh's crew won't need as many people.

That brings me to the next thing. According to this guy, there are rumors (and I HOPE they are just rumors) that they are going to turn most of the rest of them (including dh) into seasonal workers.:001_huh: What does this mean? It means they won't work year round and when they do, they don't have to be paid overtime!:glare: This is why most of the guys put up with the low pay. During events, they work 70-80+ hours per week, with OT. Their wages are low, but during OT time they get something resembling a good wage. Without it, it would cut about $3000 off of their pay every year (that is way more than a regular month's salary.) So, basically, a paycut of 10% (and the cost of benefits are going up 75%.)

Dh was not happy to go into work this morning. :tongue_smilie:

My sympathies. We've just been booted back to the unemployment pile too and I'm thanking my lucky stars we have no debt and can afford to be unemployed. Weird thing to be grateful for, but I am!

I hope your hubby can stick there long enough to get the experience he needs to be able to seek something more stable.

Rosie

Oh Rosie! I am so sorry!

As for the other, this job isn't giving dh any experience - he is underemployed there. He was just hoping for stability and this was supposed to be the most stable place to work in the area!:lol: Oh yeah, and he wanted benefits, which we have, but which are getting ready to go up in cost drastically.:tongue_smilie:

As for the other, this job isn't giving dh any experience - he is underemployed there. He was just hoping for stability and this was supposed to be the most stable place to work in the area!:lol: Oh yeah, and he wanted benefits, which we have, but which are getting ready to go up in cost drastically.:tongue_smilie:

Sometimes life sucks.

Rosie

When will it stop? Seems like nearly everyday you hear of *large numbers* of people being laid off from *somewhere*. A month ago, GE closed its doors on their lightbulb-making plant, adding another 200 to the unemployment field. There have been many others, too... just one after another, it seems.

My dh is currently unemployed (almost 4 months now), and every employer that's called him for an interview pays WAY below a living wage (leaving us still qualifying for food stamps... and NEEDING them). We think he's very close to getting a job offer, and that job will pay *barely* above what Unemployment pays. :glare:

But yeah, where does someone who's already at the bottom go? :001_huh:

It is so sad! The only thing I think of is this is happening to hardworking Americans who are trying.

I get mad when people want to say people are losing their home because they loaned too much. I don't buy that, because the housing has gone south and they are not worth what they were.

Also, with us we lost work but my husband found work. Well he is getting paid way below what he made in 1987 out of high school. We are at proverty level but can survive. We had to rent our current house out and move with my dad who is alone anyway. We couldn't even sell our place. We had an offer of 1/2 of what we bought it for.

It is just bad!! I don't judge any of these people, but really pity them. It is sad!

You are not alone and keep pressing on.