Menu

Is it best to wait

until SAT/ACT scores are in before making application to various colleges/universities?

I've been waiting until ds's SAT scores are back and then thought I would also wait until the ACTs are back (the Oct. ACT). But is that too late?

If you apply before getting the scores back, what do you do about the scores section of the application?

Just wondering because ds is getting a lot of e-mails from colleges waiving the application fees if he will apply before XXX date.

Cynthia,

I think it depends on the specific situation whether or not to apply before seeing the scores.

I seem to remember that the Common App asked you to self-report which tests you've taken with their scores. You could also list tests you've taken and are still waiting for scores. This way, the school would know to look for the new scores.

If your student already has scores, and you're pretty confident that new ones would be better, then I don't see any harm in applying with what he's got and indicating that the new ones are on the way.

However, if it's his first set of scores from a particular test or you are not fairly confident of what the scores will be (e.g. student was mildly ill on test day making performance questionable), then I might suggest waiting to see the scores before sending in the application.

The whole college application process is a crap shoot, and I know how important some of these seemingly trivial decisions can be. My son applied Early Action to one particular school mainly because they kept sending him emails reminding him to apply. At the time of application, his file only included his transcript with "mom" grades because he was still taking his first CC courses in the fall. The result was that he was accepted, but he was not offered a merit scholarship from this school. After the CC term ended, we sent their transcript and a letter of recommendation from a teacher there to the regular decision schools. They all accepted him and he got a merit scholarship offers from each of them. The CC info really, really strengthened his application. So this is an example of a situation where it was better to wait and apply later. I wish we'd ignored those pesky emails.

He also applied EA to the state flagship. I knew this was low-risk because he was well qualified academically (and likely to get in), and I also knew he wasn't in the running for scholarships from them. So there was no downside to his early app there. It was a relief receiving the early "yes" from them and it didn't impact the financial side of things.

So I know this isn't an easy answer, but I think you've got to look at the whole picture for each school and ask yourself how strong his whole "package" is and whether or not the new scores are likely to make a huge difference in that package.

Best wishes,

Brenda

So I know this isn't an easy answer, but I think you've got to look at the whole picture for each school and ask yourself how strong his whole "package" is and whether or not the new scores are likely to make a huge difference in that package.

OK, this is helpful. He has scores that were good enough to receive merit money from the state school, but apparently he may have had mono at the time (we just thought he was in a growth spurt :tongue_smilie:). His first test (English) was a 33, but the other scores were lower (high 20's). He said he got really tired and had a hard time concentrating after the first test. So I'm hoping for a more consistent score picture with these next tests. It is his first time to take the SAT. He has excellent grades from his concurrent enrollment (this is his 3rd semester) and should be able to get some good recommendations.

The application costs aren't a big deal, either, so maybe we'll just hold off and see how the scores come back.

As long as your applications are in before any scholarship deadlines you should be ok. Some schools have fairly early deadlines for competitive scholarships even if the deadline is later for general admission or "basic" scholarships. I'm thinking you're ok time-wise, but it could be best to check.

And, since there are others watching (even though it doesn't apply to the OP), this is one reason taking the SAT and ACT in a student's junior year can be quite helpful. Of course, one can always retake for a better score (if necessary) senior year, but it helps to have the "baseline" scores to send in early. With my oldest, I waited until March of Junior year for him to take his first (and only) SAT. With my middle son I started spring of sophomore year with the ACT. He's set now to take it again in October for what will probably be his final time. If he bombs a section Saturday he still has April for a retake and still have it be his junior year - meaning he's ready for senior applications. He's better at the ACT, so will only take the SAT if he gets National Merit status.

My youngest is just in 9th grade, but will probably follow the footsteps of my middle son and start in spring of sophomore year with the ACT. Earlier practice is better (IMO) for a good junior year score.

Edited to add: I see the OP does have baseline scores. :) If it's a smaller school, sending scores with an explanation could be just fine - especially since his first test was his best and there was a medical reason for the decline. If it's a larger school I'd probably wait. If no scholarship deadlines matter I might wait too.

Edited by creekland

And, since there are others watching (even though it doesn't apply to the OP), this is one reason taking the SAT and ACT in a student's junior year can be quite helpful. Of course, one can always retake for a better score (if

My youngest is just in 9th grade, but will probably follow the footsteps of my middle son and start in spring of sophomore year with the ACT. Earlier practice is better (IMO) for a good junior year score.

:iagree:

We've always taken the ACT in 8th grade in order to get a baseline and decide on how to structure high school. After that they take it yearly as well as the PSAT in 10th and 11th. Then they take the ACT and SAT in the fall of 12th in hopes of increasing the scores. My oldest's scores improved dramatically in 12th because of his concurrent courses esp. the math.

I know the service academies allow you to send in updates also, whenever you have any new info, so there is no benefit to waiting if you are applying to one of them.

At the time of application, his file only included his transcript with "mom" grades because he was still taking his first CC courses in the fall. The result was that he was accepted, but he was not offered a merit scholarship from this school. After the CC term ended, we sent their transcript and a letter of recommendation from a teacher there to the regular decision schools. They all accepted him and he got a merit scholarship offers from each of them. The CC info really, really strengthened his application. So this is an example of a situation where it was better to wait and apply later. I wish we'd ignored those pesky emails.

Did the first school not allow him to update his application? Did Early Action imply that he accepted, so they just figured they didn't need to offer anything? What school was this?

I would call the schools he is interested in. Is it for scholarship purposes you are wonderined or admitance?

Barb

Mostly for scholarship purposes. The private school we looked at for DS#1 allowed the student to take the tests over and over to see if the scores increased. The school would then assign merit $$$ when the student decided he was done with the testing. But I wonder if larger schools would find that to be an effective way of granting aid. It seems rather inefficient, IMO, although quite nice for the student :001_smile:

Well, I think it would be best to call and ask each school individually. The only school I know for sure is OU. OU will let you keep testing to try to get more scholarship money (at least that what they told us on our tour). But I also know that OU's academic scholarships are on a rolling basis (ds already got a $14,000 over 4 years) so when the money's gone its gone. Although it is still early yet. Good luck!

Barb

But I also know that OU's academic scholarships are on a rolling basis (ds already got a $14,000 over 4 years) so when the money's gone its gone. Although it is still early yet. Good luck!

Barb

Yikes! That's what is scaring me. I notice on OU's website that the deadline for Freshman scholarship application is 2/15/11, but if they are already giving $$$ away, we may need to get our application in shortly. If his ACT practice test today is any indication of his actual performance, he should easily qualify for the $10,000 (in-state) Award of Excellence and perhaps the Oklahoma State Higher Regents Academic Scholars award ($34,000 + laptop)! Keeping my fingers crossed ;)

Is your son planning to attend OU? My DS#1 is there and has a lot of buddies who are from Texas. Does your son have a major in mind?

Yes, He is planning to go. He (and dh and I) really like it. He is interested in mechanical engineering. I like the look of their first year program: "university college". I like the classes for freshman year and also the amount of help available if needed. The campus is beautiful. Also, only 2 1/2 hours away! Engineering seems very hands on. What year is our older son? Also, the leadership scholarships are not rolling - given in Feb. or March. Ds should be competitive for that but not sure.

Barb

Edited by Barb B

Yes, He is planning to go. He (and dh and I) really like it. He is interested in mechanical engineering. I like the look of their first year program: "university college". I like the classes for freshman year and also the amount of help available if needed. The campus is beautiful. Also, only 2 1/2 hours away! Engineering seems very hands on. What year is our older son? Also, the leadership scholarships are not rolling - given in Feb. or March. Ds should be competitive for that but not sure.

Barb

Cool! It is a beautiful campus and I'm always surprised at the amount of help available to the students. My other boys drool over the cafeteria selections - OU has certainly figured out how to keep the fellas happy :D DS#1 is a junior in the petroleum engineering program. He was telling me about a new indoor facility for one of the engineering schools (I think mechanical) where they can build and race cars. He says it is beautiful. Well congratulations to your son! If my ds#2 decides to attend there we'll have to put them in touch.

Have you gotten much information about the leadership scholarships? I'm wondering if Boy Scouts involvement would be something to list...

Vast majority of schools allow you to continue to update with new scores up to time of registration (or somewhere around there).

There are even places on the application forms which ask if you will be taking SAT/ACT exams in the future and if so, what dates and which exams.

Cynthia, we saw the new building and it is cool. My son wants to be on the sooner's racing team and help build the SAI racing team car.

I don't know anything about the leadership scholarships. I would definitely include any and all boy scout info. on the scholarship part of the application. The more you include, the better!

Barb