Menu

Poll: how many bags of candy do you buy for Halloween?

How many bags of candy do you buy for Halloween?  

1. 1. How many bags of candy do you buy for Halloween?

• 1-2
    • 3-4
    • 5-6
    • 7-8
    • 9-10
    • 11+
    • I don't like answering polls
    • I don't buy any, but I like answering polls.
    • Other (did I out an option? This is your poll choice!)

Question is in the title! Not buying for Halloween, but for your church's "Halloween Alternative?" Same question applies to you. :D

Ack! The last one is supposed to read: did I leave out an option? That is what I get for trying to do this on my phone!

Edited by Mrs Mungo

None. Our neighboorhood does not do door-to-door trick or treating (historical part of town, a lot of eldery neighbors) so there is no need to buy any candy. This year we are going to a Science Museum and partcipiating in their Halloween party which not only will be having a birds of prey show but also a "Chem-Mystery" show and lots of goodies and costume contest.

The past two years we did five bags, five large bags and ran out! We did trunk-or-treating at J's school. It was nice and even Father would come out and enjoy some candy.

When J was younger and we lived in W.Va we didn't buy candy either. We would always go to my Mom's house for trick-or-treating and celebrate my sister's birthday (she is a Halloween baby), my Mom didn't let us bring candy.

I put 3-4, but those are the huge Costco bags. People drive in to trick or treat here and I love it. We are next to a school with t cul d sacs off a long road, so kids can do about 35 houses with only crossing one street. We get so many people that where they have to cross the road we have a police car with lights flashing and an officer giving out candy. I always say it is the 1950's here on Halloween. Non stop kids, parents with flash lights walking behind. There are 2-3 houses that don't like it, but the rest of us really get into the spirit and the decorations are getting crazier and crazier each year.

Sorry, I am totally bragging, but I love Halloween and I love that I live in Halloween land. (with being dead end we don't get as much of the Christmas light stuff)

None. Our street is too busy (30 mph speed limit) and dark, with narrow sidewalks, so we don't get trick-or-treaters. My kids go trick-or-treating at a local shopping village and a local historical musuem, and sometimes they also go with friends in their neighborhoods. We're freeloaders. :D

We have no trick-or-treaters. I guess the cows aren't up for that.

DH buys 3-4 bags of candy before Halloween. I don't object to that because we do have 4 teens who only get candy (unless they buy it for themselves, which is rare) on special occasions.

THEN, on day H+1, DH buys more candy. On H+2, all the way until the stores run out, he will buy more. He is proud of himself for all the money he saves.

That is the candy he hides at his office. I find them, put them in his sweet food drawer, and stick warning notes on the packages. DH has a deep drawer in his desk especially for his immense sweet tooth. I am going to buy a realistic looking toy mouse and put it in there, or maybe a few realistic looking roaches.

I did 4 Costco sized bags for home last year, plus 2 for the trunk-or-treat at church (which is always a different night). We live across the street from an elementary school, and get a lot of kids. I also, in past years, have given out a good percentage of what came home in DD's trick or treat bag, but I don't know that she'll let me get away with that this year!

I'll join the crowd of boonies-dwellers. I usually pick up a bag of candy just in case, but we haven't had a single trick-or-treater in six Halloweens. Now if only I can exercise the restraint to get a kind of candy we don't like (I suppose that would necessitate first identifying a candy we don't like...).

We go camping at Disney's campground since we are there each year. There are TONS of trick or treaters that to through there. I have heard people saying they go through 30-50 pounds of candy. :001_huh: We don't buy any though because no one stays at the camper to hand it out. Both DH and I want to see our girls trick or treat.

What sized bags are we talking about? We have an uber Halloween neighborhood. Last year I bought $80 of Costco candy. Something like 1500 pieces.

Let's talk about what kind of candy we buy! Maybe that will make it easier? :)

I have:

Junior Mints, 16 mini boxes

Caramel Apple Pops, 20 pops

Dots, 36 mini boxes

Candy Corn, 80 treat packs

Mini Tootsie Pops, 285 pops

4 mixed bags of mini chocolate bars, I'm not sure how many are in these? They are 10.5 oz.

Resse's cups 18.5 oz

a bag of mixed gummies (Swedish Fish, etc), 25 treat packages

fun sized bags of m-n-ms, 36 bags

Teddy Grahams, 36 bags

Oh! And Mini Oreos, 18 bags

We live in a sad subdivision, populated with grumpy seniors, who shut their lights off and want nothing to do with children, except their own grand-kids.

So, we go elsewhere, leaving dad at home, with a bag or two, just in case some new family, clueless, goes out in search of that one home that gives out candy. And we get the good stuff (chocolate)... No Smarties or Tootsie Rolls. :lol:

All is not lost, since I take the candy my kids can't eat (stupid Celiac :tongue_smilie:) and trade it for the good stuff. So, I basically just by it for my kids.

I picked 7 - 8 since we do gets lots of trick or treaters, also I try to have an extra bag or two of pure chocolate for Silly Autism Boy to trade his various candy for (at 19 he still dresses up and goes trick or treating - everyone here knows him and is ok with it. He is really a large 1st grader!) as he only eats the Hershey bars. I get a bag of Almond Joy and most of that goes to hubby. Then, I have a kid still in braces who needs to trade her hard or gummy treats for softer fare.

I did have a bag of mini Peanut Butter Cups but they somehow vanished within 24 hours :D

So I get Hershey bars and Almond Joy and probably Three Musketeers/Peanut Butter Cups. Most of this is for us.

To hand out:

gummy body parts (candy should be gross on Halloween!)

skull-shaped suckers.

candy sticks (not candy cigarettes...well, they are, they just are not called that anymore).

any gum, etc. the kids bring home from their first trip out.

Smarties and/or Dum-dums.

Tiny boxes of red hots and lemon drops and Mike n. Ikes.

I would get wax lips or tiny wax bottles of colored sugar water but i don't see them anymore. I used to love getting that odd stuff when I was a kid! Little Snickers bars, etc. are so BORING!!!!

Edited by JFSinIL

I picked 7 - 8 since we do gets lots of trick or treaters, also I try to have an extra bag or two of pure chocolate for Silly Autism Boy to trade his various candy for (at 19 he still dresses up and goes trick or treating - everyone here knows him and is ok with it. He is really a large 1st grader!) as he only eats the Hershey bars. I get a bag of Almond Joy and most of that goes to hubby. Then, I have a kid still in braces who needs to trade her hard or gummy treats for softer fare.

I did have a bag of mini Peanut Butter Cups but they somehow vanished within 24 hours :D

So I get Hershey bars and Almond Joy and probably Three Musketeers/Peanut Butter Cups. Moat of this is for us.

To hand out:

gummy body parts (candy should be gross on Halloween!)

skull-shaped suckers.

candy sticks (not candy cigarettes...well, they are, they just are not called that anymore).

any gum, etc. the kids bring home from their first trip out.

Smarties and/or Dum-dums.

Tiny boxes of red hots and lemon drops and Mike n. Ikes.

I would get wax lips or tiny wax bottles of colored sugar water but i don't see them anymore. I used to love getting that odd stuff when I was a kid! Little Snickers bars, etc. are so BORING!!!!

I used to buy the eyeball gum with red goo inside, but I have not found them this year! :(

We are right in town so I buy 3-4 bags of candy. On the years dh is working and I leave the bowl with a "please help yourself, but remember others" sign I have left overs. When dh gives out candy I have only what is in dd's bag.

The one year I left my candy unattended with a sign not only did I not have any candy left, I had no bowl. It was a cute Halloween bowl too.:glare:

We had many disturbing things occur in our neighborhood several years ago and so we do not hand out candy and we only buy a small amount just to share inside with out kids. So, we don't celebrate Halloween and we do have to spend most of the evening being a presence on our lawn (until well after midnight) to protect the property. Sigh.

So, I guess I will vote zero since we don't buy any candy to dispense to others.

Faith

this is the first year in a long time we won't be giving out candy....our neighborhood's gotten too bad to be opening the door after dark....usually I would fix up about 30 treat bags with wrapped candy or buy single serve pretzel/cookies in the little halloween serve bags.....this year we will just buy for ourselves so I put 1-2....in previous years I'd say about 3-4

We always bought one bag of candy just in case anyone came to our door, but in the past 9 years, I don't remember anyone who actually did. I didn't mind, though, because we don't take our kids trick-or-treating, and they're happy to eat the candy that we don't give out. We live seriously in the boonies now, but I'm sure we'll still buy a bag so my kids can eat it. :001_smile:

I didn't vote because I truly don't know how many bags I usually buy. We get about 100 kids each year. I buy a mix of decent-sized chocolate/candy bars, some lollies, non-sweet things (like small bags of chips or pretzels, labeled as peanut-free), and funky candy. I let the kids choose one big or two little :)

I don't buy candy. I buy the gift certificates from Wendy's for free Frostys. It's a great deal - 10 certificates for $1. I usually buy 5 books (50 certificates). We keep a few of the leftovers and DH takes the other extras to school to give out to his students when they do something 'over the top' (which unfortunately isn't that often).

The one year I left my candy unattended with a sign not only did I not have any candy left, I had no bowl. It was a cute Halloween bowl too.:glare:

Yeah, that happened to us too, along with destroyed jack o'lanterns.

We don't hand out candy any more, since we are usually never home - we go trick or treating with my SIL in her neighborhood.

I buy candy for our 4-H's Trunk or Treat - 3 bags.