Menu

If you use (or have used) Smarr literature...

would you please share which courses you used for which years of high school? I am seriously considering Smarr for high school years, but am thinking of using Smarr's Intro to Literature in 8th to see if it is going to work for us. I'd like to hear about experiences with Smarr and which course(s) you used. TIA

Shannon

I have used Intro to literature in 9th, World Literature in 10th and American Literature in 11th twice now.

(For my oldest I did American in 10th, Intro in 11th and World in 12th--this is definitely not the order to do it).

For my next one I'm considering doing Intro in 8th also. She is a much better reader than the middle two and I think she can easily do this. I just found the program when the oldest was going into 10th and did the American Lit because he was doing American history that year. It was a stretch for him.

Linda

I have used Intro to literature in 9th, World Literature in 10th and American Literature in 11th twice now.

(For my oldest I did American in 10th, Intro in 11th and World in 12th--this is definitely not the order to do it).

For my next one I'm considering doing Intro in 8th also. She is a much better reader than the middle two and I think she can easily do this. I just found the program when the oldest was going into 10th and did the American Lit because he was doing American history that year. It was a stretch for him.

Linda

Thank you Linda! In your first scenario above, what did you use in 12th? Did you do something other than Smarr?

For the oldest, I went with Progeny Press and just did a few books, but more in depth. SMARR has you read many books each year and she wanted a break so she could go more in depth. The next is currently in 12th and I am having her do dual credit English at the CC.

Linda

My ds/10th is using the Ancient Period Lit course now. He is not one of those readers that could keep up and understand what he was reading if we did Omnibus full-speed...KWIM. So, I decided to go with Smarr because it was all laid out for me and included writing instruction. He likes it very much and the lessons are not overwhelming. He spend more time on it the weeks he has a paper due (there are 7 major papers along with grammar/writing lessons throughout), but usually it is quite managable. He is a math oriented student so this seemed to fit us well. Good lit selections but not the main focus of our program this year.

HTH:)