Menu

Please share everything educational you do with a 4th grader and 2nd/3rd grader...

Dianne-TX

Normal school stuff

Bible time with family - prayer - devotions - discussions

church time - expectations of participation versus just being quiet

TONS of reading - assigned and not - BOOKS EVERYWHERE (in the car, beds, living room, bathroom...)

LIMITED screen time - maybe 30 minutes every other day (includes all video games, tv, etc.)

Travel - a lot - with maps and discussions - kids at 5 led me through Atlanta Hartsfield using a map and a little help (finding gate info, etc.) by 8 they could do it completely without guidance

Scouting and fun related projects

Museums / Displays / Hands on centers / Free concerts / Free lectures

Lots of events - library events, local wildlife refuge stuff, building free stuff at Lowe's, junior ranger programs, etc.

Piano lessons

Free use of the kitchen/supplies/etc. (with some limited supervision - but the 7 year old could put together a brownie mix with ease and I helped with taking things out of the oven)

Great toys - puzzles, playmobile, legos - things that make you think and create

Art supplies at will

Books on tape

Chores and responsibilities at home - caring for pets, laundry help, life skills

Sit down dinners with conversation and fun

Board games

Those are just a few that I am deliberate and passionate about... :001_smile:

Hope that helps!

ok My 3rd grade dd

Bible we do Who is God by Apologia. When that is done we will get back into some more character building books that we have starting with proverbs people. She also does her memory verses for Awana.

Math she does Horizons 3 (she is about half way done so will start 4 this winter sometime) She does singapore Intensive practice and Challenging Word Problems daily as well. Fridays she does math fact drills and games online (to try to slow her down in math a bit, she is going way to fast) We do alot of math games

English she does Rod and Staff 3 and we have some editing books we are going to start going through again.

she does A Reason For Handwriting T

Spelling she is doing Spelling Power and Apples Daily Spelling Drills

History she does Story of the World 2 and will do 3 this year as well as well as supplemental reading with it.

Latin we are doing Latin for Children

We do Geography. Right now its with the spectrum 3rd grade Geography workbook, when she is done with that we will move onto Trail Guide to World Geography with her older sister.

We also cover everything a 3rd grader should according to World Book Encyclopedia's scope and sequence and What your 3rd grader needs to know.

She helps me bake ALOT. She is starting to do some on her own (just cookies and stuff) She is getting really good at measuring everything for that and is learning the recipes. She is learning this year how to bake pumpkin goodies from the pumpkin (she loves this!!) I have started teaching her how to make breads and rolls. (We do all our baking from scratch) She loves to help make dinner. She does Awana. She reads ALOT on her own. She is doing a public speaking/speech class with our homeschool group. She does her daily chores in the morning, afternoon and bedtime. She washes her own laundry and bedding. She plays when she is not reading but she loves to read.

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

My fourth grader is having an alternative year. We are studying as much as possible like a Roman girl would have studied during the time of the Roman Republic.

I'll group these by category -

Home studies -

Cooking - she plans and cooks dinner once a week.

Gardening - She planted an herb garden with her brother and is going to dry the herbs for use in the winter.

Sewing - She is learning to sew - she plans and makes something every week.

Spinning Yarn and Weaving classes are planned for the winter.

Fine arts -

An hour long art class every week

A two and half hour pottery class weekly

Plan and create another art project weekly

Will be taking music class soon.

Math - a math book, lots of problem solving books, and lots of practical math - budgeting, measuring, planning and creating projects.

Science - she is working through physics kits and reading topics of interest.

Language

We're doing Writing with Ease 4.

She's keeping a fictional journal.

We're working through MCT poetry books.

She's studying French

We're starting Latin after Christmas.

Literature

Memorizing the Aeneid - as much of it as possible - about a stanza a week right now.

Reading and discussing - at least two versions of the Iliad, the Odyssey, and the Aeneid

Plus she has free reads daily.

Physical Fitness - Romans emphasized a fit mind / fit body mentality.

Fencing for 3 hours a week.

PE at her enrichment school

She's doing a couch to 5k running program to increase her endurance.

She's started daily push-ups to increase her upper body strength.

When it gets wintery cold here, she'll start a homeschool gymnastics program.

Swim lessons are on our plans for winter activities too.

My 2nd grader:

Math-lesson daily in Singapore 2A (we use R&S and flashcards for supplement)

Handwriting-3x week in Italics C and 1-2x week copywork

English-daily work from the last half of Primary Language Lesson, oral narrations and 1-2x week written narrations+ 1x week dictation

French-audio cd daily and 1-2 pages in workbook of L'art de Lire

German-low-key and oral mostly

History-1-2 chapters per week in World History and reading weekly for Am. History

Science-3 chapters per week from 3 books+ nature study work with older dd

Literature-she reads weekly from 2 books and we do 2 together. She also reads a lot independently

Art-1-2 art lessons per week (usually one in art history or appreciation and one in drawing or watercolors

She has ballet 1x per week

Piano lessons 1x per week and practices 30 min. about 5x per week

Our piano teacher requires a fair bit of activity so we have a contest, recitals, classses, Festival, Guild every year with her.

We try to do family events (museums, plays, etc.) and/or homeschool events at least 1-2x a month

Edited by Kfamily

Here's what I do with my daughter, newly 9 and in grade 3:

• Co-op bi-weekly (takes SOTW 2, Evan Moor Science & Board Games)
  • Writing with Ease Level 2 4x week
  • Science - Rod & Staff grade 3 - 2x week
  • Abeka History & Geography Grade 3 - 2x week
  • CLE Math Grade 2 - 5x week (except on the Friday we're at co-op)
  • Rod & Staff English 5x week (except on the Friday we're at co-op)
  • Currently writing b-day thank you notes in cursive
  • Spelling - super teacher worksheets Grade 3 http://www.superteacherworksheets.com/spellinglevelc.html
  • we're reading through thanksgiving related books over the next month (squanto's journey, the pilgrims of plimoth, thanksgiving by gail gibbons, sarah morton's day, samuel eaton's day...i hope to find more at the library too)
  • bedtime story with me: the secret garden
  • personal reading: double fudge
  • sunday school
  • awana
  • 4H
  • family devotional time (next year, i plan to buy CLE grade 4 bible)
  • community service
  • my family also raises money for our charity of choice. we call it "project smile" and put change in a jar to pay for an operation for kids with a cleft lip. when we save enough, we mail it in and start all over. it's a great way to have the kids get creative (mom, i'll drink less juice and more water & you can donate that $3 to project smile):D
  • How Great Thou Art dvd series - we'll start this after Christmas

My 4th grader (he's doing things anywhere from late 3rd to early 5th grade)

HWT cursive

CLE math 308 and RS D almost E

CLE LA 303

CLE Reading 303

Science~WTM style, nature study weekly, narrates lesson, 4x week

History~US, a conglomeration of SL, Guesthollow and my stuff, narrates, 4xweek

Ambleside Yr 1 most readings, narration

Art x2 week

Spanish x1 week

PE x1 week

Writing copywork 2x week, 1 paragraph 1x week

Cub scout badges, church Kid's Klub, Upward soccer and basketball,(those two relate to Bible studies), Boys & Girls club~social outlet but with art/study/encouragement/PE thrown in

Read aloud one for history and one for 'fun', history at breakfast and lunch, fun in evening

Also Sunday School&church, 4-H in summer, church and scout camp in summer

Chores cleaning, cooking, animal and toddler care

Edited by joyofsix

For my dd9 who is in 4th grade we do:

Handwriting -cursive, most everyday - 1 page of copywork.

Bible study - CBS homeschool study probably 5-10 minutes, she can either do it on her own or with her younger sister

Math - working on Singapore 2B (trying to get her caught up)

Memory work - bible verses, grammar stuff, poetry, history (listen for 5-10 Minutes on mp3)

Latin (Getting Started with Latin - about 1/2 a lesson daily

Spelling (most days) - Spelling Power

Reading for 15 minutes each - History, Literature and fun (her choice)

We do 4 days a week of Science (noeo physics 2) and History (SOTW 4) and writing (WWE4)

We do 3 days a week of grammar FLL4

also art, music and PE most days (even if it often is running around out back, drawing or listening to music)

My dd7 (2nd grade) does

Bible Study (CBS homeschool - primary)

handwriting - print copywork

Memory work

Math (Singapore 2B - slower than her sister)

Still working through OPGTR - phonics

WWE 2 - 4 days a week

FLL2 - 3 days a week

SOTW 4 (3-4 days a week)

Science (noeo physics 2)

She also reads out loud to us - mostly her choice

My 2nd

Math - MEP and MUS

English - R&S

Reading - R&S Bible Nurture and Reading, reads a chapter a day from a series chapter book, reads for 30 minutes (free reading)

Phonics - finishing up Phonics Pathways and ETC. We will start spelling when she is done with PP.

Writing - WWE and A Plan for Writing (SWB)

Penmanship - Getty Dubay Italics

Literature - Various literature selections from Ambleside either read aloud or listened to at bedtime

History - SOTW2

Science - Apologia Astronomy and Life Science with Mr. Q also tons of documentaries.

Art - chooses projects from Discovering Great Artists. Her big sister does these with her during non-school times.

Music - nothing formal. We listen to lots of music and she has a huge collection of classical music in her room.

Cooking - I am teaching her the basics of baking right now. She is making her own cookbook. She chooses a recipe per week. She copies it into her cookbook. Then we discuss the measurements, what certain ingredients do (yeast, baking powder, etc.), proper tools and such, then she bakes it.

She goes to drama once a week at the local children's theatre and just received a part in the upcoming Christmas play.

She also does Girl Scouts twice a month and does activities for earning try-its periodically.

I'm sure I could think of more "educational" stuff but those are all the biggies.

My ds is 7 and in 2nd grade.

Bible 5 x a week

History 4 x a week

Math 5 x a week (workbooks)

Math games

Reading (he reads to me daily)

Handwriting 2 x a week

Latin 2-3 x a week

Copywork 5 x a week

Grammar 2 x a week

Storytime (I read to him)

Art 2 x a week

Music 2 x a week(1 time composer study, 1 time guitar practice)

Science 2-3x a week

Geography 1 x a week

Typing 2 x a week

Poetry 4 x a week

Spelling/dictation 3 x a week

Spanish (mostly just games 1-2 x a week)

We also watched educational shows, play games, and go on nature outings. ;)

2nd grader:

Daily

Saxon Math - 1 hour/day

Independent Reading - 45 min./day

Reading aloud (I read aloud to him) - 30 min/day

BJU Press Reading/Comprehension - 30 min./day

BJU English/Grammar 2 - 30 min./day

Spelling - 15 min/day

Handwriting - 15 min/day

3-5x/week

Apologia Science, 30 min./day

History - 30 min./day

Seatwork/academic play - logic problems, math games, brain teasers, puzzles, educational games & toys - 30 min./day

Other

Music Theory and Cello Lessons 1.5 hours/day, 2x week

Cello Practice, 40 min/day, 5x week

Museum, Zoo or Performing Arts Center Trips - 2x/month or more

I'm trying to re-evaluate what we do and want to see what I might be missing or what I could (or need to) incorporate that I might not be aware of. Thanks!

2nd grader:

Reading instruction

Math

Handwriting

Bible

Typing

Spelling

WWE (if reading on grade level)

FLL (if reading on grade level)

3rd grader:

Same as above but add Spectrum test prep for required end of 3rd grade test and independent reading time (if reading level allows it) which includes literature.

4th grader:

Same as above but work on outlining skills and move to JAG for grammar.

Generally I just do a slower place with younger kids and add to it as they get older. For example I have them do 2 pages a day in Singapore in 2nd grade, 3 in 3rd grade and 4 in 4th grade and up. 5th grade is where I start adding in Latin, Art, individual science, some history reading, Critical Thinking, etc...

I do a group history and science reading for all, then my older kids do more in depth independent reading.

Heather

My fourth grader is having an alternative year. We are studying as much as possible like a Roman girl would have studied during the time of the Roman Republic.

I'll group these by category -

Home studies -

Cooking - she plans and cooks dinner once a week.

Gardening - She planted an herb garden with her brother and is going to dry the herbs for use in the winter.

Sewing - She is learning to sew - she plans and makes something every week.

Spinning Yarn and Weaving classes are planned for the winter.

Fine arts -

An hour long art class every week

A two and half hour pottery class weekly

Plan and create another art project weekly

Will be taking music class soon.

Math - a math book, lots of problem solving books, and lots of practical math - budgeting, measuring, planning and creating projects.

Science - she is working through physics kits and reading topics of interest.

Language

We're doing Writing with Ease 4.

She's keeping a fictional journal.

We're working through MCT poetry books.

She's studying French

We're starting Latin after Christmas.

Literature

Memorizing the Aeneid - as much of it as possible - about a stanza a week right now.

Reading and discussing - at least two versions of the Iliad, the Odyssey, and the Aeneid

Plus she has free reads daily.

Physical Fitness - Romans emphasized a fit mind / fit body mentality.

Fencing for 3 hours a week.

PE at her enrichment school

She's doing a couch to 5k running program to increase her endurance.

She's started daily push-ups to increase her upper body strength.

When it gets wintery cold here, she'll start a homeschool gymnastics program.

Swim lessons are on our plans for winter activities too.

What i'm trying to figure out is where you got the 26 hour days...

Mine are 5th and 6th grade.

Regular School Work

Math Mammoth

WWE (ds5th) Writing Tales (ds5th)

SOTW II (add in from UIHLE, Kingfisher, and others) twice a week

Science ala WTM twice a week

Latin

German

Poetry

Shakespeare

Geography

both take Piano Lessons and go to Art Class and a German Immersion Class

ds 6th also goes to classes at out charter school once a week and takes classes at a Coop once a week. He also goes swimming twice a week.

Ds 5th is in competitive soccer and plays 3 or 4 times a week.

Extras:

We travel a lot and always incorporate something to see/do/learn.

Fieldtrips - at least twice a month

A variety of projects i.e. baking, woodworking etc.

We do watch some tv, mostly documentaries and (parent)approved movies.

They also play lots of games together, build legos etc.

Susie

My daughter is almost 8, 3rd grade

English: MCT Island, Hobbit study guide, AAS as needed, Sylvan super reading when we have time - 1hour x 5 days

Russian: language arts + literature - 1 hour x 5 days

Math: Singapore 3a, CWP, IP + MEP and Horizons 3 as needed - 40 minutes x 5 days

History: SOTW 2 - 45 minutes x 3 days

Spanish: GSWS 20 minutes x 3 days

Logic/critical thinking: 25 minutes x 3 days

Armenian: tutor 1 hour x 2day

Science: chemistry 45 minutes x 2 days

Art: 45 minutes x 2 days (sometimes art appreciation, sometimes art projects)

Plus she takes outside classes: for drama 1 hr, ballet 2 hrs, acrobatics 1 hr a week.

She reads aloud in Russian, and has lots of free reading in English time.

Besides school work, piano and violin lessons, home school ice skating days (not classes), weekly science nature class, bird sanctuary, museums, theater, documentaries, lots of exposure to jazz, blues, classical, ska, rock etc., art and crafts using quality materials following detailed instructions (usually with friends outside after school), travel, learning how to do new things on the computer like make movies or photo galleries.

One of my favorite things the kids get is the opportunity to meet, hang out with, or have as a guest here at home all sorts of interesting people. They get to engage in conversation with so many different kinds of folks. For example some of our last house guests were a poet friend who had business here in Ca. (he makes poetry study way more fun), and a martial artist from So. Africa. The house is full of conversation on race, religion, art, politics, history etc from all sorts of perspectives. I'm glad they're seeing how to enjoy good food and lively conversation (and debate) and how it makes for a richer, more loving life. It's probably one of the most important things I want to teach my kids. No matter what they grow up to do, I hope they can converse freely and comfortably with anyone. And that they make people feel comfortable and welcome in their presence. I think those skills enable you to keep learning in life and open up opportunity in unexpected places.