Menu

all ready dreading the candy overload at your home??

Not us? Every year the kids get to pick out 10 pieces of candy to keep and the rest gets left for the candy fairy who comes and trades the rest of the candy for a small game or something. This year she is planning on leaving slippers and a new smelly pencil. Then secretly I use some of the candy in my holiday baking. This year I came across this site

Candy Experiments: Experiments

so I am going to tell the kids that the candy fairy left a few pieces behind so we can experiment with them becasue we homeschool.

What do you do to help with the candy overload??

We have done the "Switch Witch" before- the kids pick which candy they want to keep, and pick which candy they want to leave for the "Switch Witch" who will come and switch the candy out for a prize or toy. The more candy she's left the better the prize.

We have also donated candy to deployed soldiers (who, let me tell you, REALLY appreciated it!) My mother already had a handful of them she was in correspondence with as she's really big on troop support and always mailing out care packages and all. So we donated a bunch of it to some of 'her' soldiers one time.

We will probably do that this time, too- my brother is in Afghanistan so I will send it to him to share. :)

:iagree:What she said. Bring on the chocolate!

Yes!! The chocolate is always the first to go at our house. Then the fruity kind like jolly rancher, smarties, and starburst.

:iagree: Yeah, I like to swipe all the "good" candy. ;) We might try some of the candy experiments on the yucky candy though.

There is always some yucky candy left over to experiment on. :)

I don't get this! :D I've heard quite a few people say they do this. How can you throw away CANDY!? I just don't think I'm capable. :lol:

I don't really understand why people take their children trick-or-treating and then throwing away most of the the candy. It would be much easier, although much less fun, to just go to the store and buy a bag of candy for them. It just seems like a sad sad waste to toss the goods. :D

Mine get to keep 10 pieces, and they know it. My son switches after the first couple of house to trick or treating for unicef (which is getting more popular here)

We have a big party and make Halloween more about that. They have gotten to the point they love walking around and showing off their costumes, the candy is just kinda a side part.

We also LIMIT where we go--so we do not get too much.

We do NOT have to go to every house...

DD will 'sort' her candy when she gets home. She gets to keep a small (sandwich size) zippy bag of her favorites in her room (she knows to ask anytime she wants to have a piece to make sure it is OK). I keep the rest on a shelf and dole it out slowly. DD is very good about sharing!

This year DD will 'trick or treat' at the local nursing home (about 50 pieces of candy--mostly chocolate!!!). If the weather is nice the shops downtown will also hand out candy...another 20 or so pieces. We top off the evening with a trip to the local fire department for 'apple bobbing' and other fun games.

DH usually takes dd (or one of her sisters does)... "I" get to stay at home in a QUIET house by myself for a few hours!!! We live in the boonies so no people come to our door (also the reason why the nursing home and the businesses host the night).

We dole ours out slowly too (unless you count what I eat :lol:). DD8 hoarded hers in her room and just finished it up a few weeks ago. The rest goes in a big jar in our cabinet and we use it up over time.

Oh, wow! I want all Halloween candy gone by the beginning of Advent. I don't want my Christmas chocolate mixed up with my Halloween chocolate. It doesn't seem right having orange and black wrappers in my Santa candy dish.;) So what ever is not eaten by Thanksgiving goes in the trash. It is usually a handful of the least desirable candy.

Oh, wow! I want all Halloween candy gone by the beginning of Advent. I don't want my Christmas chocolate mixed up with my Halloween chocolate. It doesn't seem right having orange and black wrappers in my Santa candy dish.;) So what ever is not eaten by Thanksgiving goes in the trash. It is usually a handful of the least desirable candy.

:lol: Actually, you would not believe how carefully that kid doled out her own candy to herself! I knew where she'd hidden, so I checked on it periodically to make sure she wasn't eating it all. She had "good" candy in there for the longest time!!! She always asked me if she could have a piece before she ate one. It was when she began selling it off to her little sister for 50 cents a piece that I drew the line :lol: For the candy in the main jar, I did go through it periodically to get rid of yucky stuff. I found that leaving the boring candy in there is a good candy deterrent. You have to REALLY want candy to settle for a piece of banana Laffy-Taffy, and there's no debate over "just one more piece!" because it's just not that appealing! :lol:

And we don't give Christmas candy, so the mixing of the holiday treats isn't an issue here :D

Edited by melissel