Menu

Help! Vacuum cleaner broke in the middle of big project and have to go buy one NOW

My quick choices of places to go are Sam's, Menards and Kohls. My old one was bagged and I get so tired of buying bags so I was planning on a bagless but am wondering if that's as nice as it seems. Any quick suggestions? I didn't think I wanted to spend the money on a Dyson but will if it's worth it. I don't know the BEST but don't want a cheap one either.

A couple of years ago I was in the same place as you. I too wanted to go bagless and considered a Dyson, but after a ton of research I decided they were not as good as they claimed. I was also sick of vacuums that broke or barely worked after a few times. I finally decided to go with a Kenmore Progressive from Sears. I have had NO problems with it and am very pleased. I bought a bunch of bags upfront (I think 10) and just recently had to buy more.

Michelle

A couple of years ago I was in the same place as you. I too wanted to go bagless and considered a Dyson, but after a ton of research I decided they were not as good as they claimed. I was also sick of vacuums that broke or barely worked after a few times. I finally decided to go with a Kenmore Progressive from Sears. I have had NO problems with it and am very pleased. I bought a bunch of bags upfront (I think 10) and just recently had to buy more.

Michelle

:iagree:I love my kenmore progressive. I think it is currently rated #2 in Consumer Reports right now. After 12 years I just replaced it with a bagless model. I have to say I prefer the bags. With bagless the filter constantly needs cleaning or replacing and emptying the canister makes a horrible mess. It's hard to empty it without stuff floating up into the air and then settling down around the trash can. I've taken to emptying it outside. I miss the days of just tossing the bag. So much neater. I'm thinking of eventually moving the bagless model upstairs for the kids to use and buying the model with bags for our downstairs which has the heaviest traffic.

Shannon

What kind of project are you in the middle of? If you are going to be picking up sheetrock dust, you really want to use a shop-vac for the job. Sheetrock makes belts slip and does all sorts of other nastiness to real vacs.

No great vacuum suggestions here, just don't want you to ruin a brand new machine.