Menu

Latin/Other Language Instruction

atara

A modern foreign language comes first, somewhere between toddlerhood and second grade.

(And, if you want a second modern foreign language, that comes somewhere in the elementary years too.)

Latin begins in the fifth grade.

Greek begins in the seveth grade.

(A second or a third modern foreign language begins in the upper middle school or in high school.)

None of the languages are dropped, all are continued until gradution.

I've been thinking about this issue for years and this is what I consider the best scheme. Obviously, there will always be "special cases" (bilingual or trilingual households, people who want to squeeze in Hebrew before classics, some will specifically want somewhat earlier or later classics, etc.), but as a general rule of the thumb, I think it's a good scheme.

It's also not the one I used (one of the "special cases", though I do intend to change some things with the next child), but it was the one I was educated by and I still swear by it.

(Italian is a native language for us, btw. Glad to see somebody is considering studying it as a modern foreign language.)

We did Song School Latin in 1st, we're doing some Spanish this year (2nd). We'll continue Spanish indefinitely, and pick up a more rigorous Latin curriculum starting next year. If DD wants to add any languages after that, we'll probably start them in the 5th or 6th grade.

We did a modern foreign language first, while the children's ears were keen for language learning. We then moved on to Latin and another modern language in late elementary. We didn't drop any of them - just kept on going.

FWIW, the boys' school teaches French, Latin and Spanish in elementary school, then they try out German in middle school, before choosing one or two languages to continue into high school.

Laura

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks!

By the way, are their any cool CD's/programs for computer for little ones to learn Italian?

I just posted something about Professor Toto ... this company has a set of lessons w/ dvds and cds in italian for preschool/ early school age kids ....

i'll repost on my thread how it goes. I should be getting it in the mail next week .. so excited!!

DS has been studying Italian off and on since 2nd. We've only really used Rosetta Stone, but I too would like to find more resources to help him out, something fun--he's 5th now. I think we'll be taking on Greek next year. He has no interest in learning Latin, so would rather not push it. Attic Greek is something he's wanted for awhile, should be interesting. (He's also had some Spanish, Korean and Japanese while in PS.)

we started spanish exposure first then added mandarin chinese, both before K. the study of these languages will become more formal in first grade with writing and grammar. if we had not had access to native speakers we would have waited on these.

my plan is to start latin with dd in first or second grade, once she has moved beyond needing copy work to write sentences. i imagine this will help her spelling, vocabulary and grammar. i have no idea where ds will be with english by first grade, he is almost three and not yet reading more than a few words in english. i won't start latin until his english is strong, whatever age that may be.

if you google "auralog" you will find a different type of language program, different than Rosetta Stone, with a decent amount of languages that is more geared toward students of languages, as opposed to just getting by ... we're looking buying it (way more economical and it goes up to level 10) for our kids once they get to 1st/2nd grade to use as a family. i hope that helps! I don't know about Greek though... I was thinking of going to a Seminary school for that myself lol

DS has been studying Italian off and on since 2nd. We've only really used Rosetta Stone, but I too would like to find more resources to help him out, something fun--he's 5th now. I think we'll be taking on Greek next year. He has no interest in learning Latin, so would rather not push it. Attic Greek is something he's wanted for awhile, should be interesting. (He's also had some Spanish, Korean and Japanese while in PS.)