Menu

Natural remedy to stay focused and on task that will help my concentration.

Please tell me something like this exists, because I am becoming very scatter brained and finding it hard to concentrate and not jump from thing to thing.I am looking into a natural supplement my brother has been dx with ADD and I think I suffer from the same thing. I don't want to take Ritalin but I need something to help me stay focused. Thanks for any and all input.

Ginseng and Gingko are good natural "remedies" for the brain and staying focused. Also, rosemary will help with memory. I like Mountain Rose Herbs for their Memory Zest tea. You should be able to find Ginseng and Gingko at any good natural health food store and the suppliment section of your local drug store. Costco carries them as well.

Hope this helps.

Ginseng and Gingko are good natural "remedies" for the brain and staying focused. Also, rosemary will help with memory. I like Mountain Rose Herbs for their Memory Zest tea. You should be able to find Ginseng and Gingko at any good natural health food store and the suppliment section of your local drug store. Costco carries them as well.

Hope this helps.

:iagree: I can vouch for ginseng. You may come across three types, I used American and one of the Asian type. Focus, yes, and something else I hadn't expected that was a pleasant surprise.

If you are familiar with dr. christopher products, we have successfully used mind trac and relax eze.

And you have to give herbal things a few days to a week to start doing what you want them to, fyi.:001_smile:

Mountain rose herbs is a great resource too.

fish oil this summer, and I think it's helped. I was always able to focus when I was young, but as I get older, I feel more scatter-brained. Do some research on fish oil capsules, because I've been told they're not all good quality.

And, as Peela said, drink more water. The naturopath told me to limit coffee to one cup a day and drink more water!

There is also something called "Focus Attention" made by Nature's Sunshine that is supposed to be good. We've purchased it, but I am not consistent enough for it to do anything. What we had is in powder form and I have a hard time getting my 9 yo to take anything he can taste.

http://greatestherbsonearth.com/nsp/focus_attention.htm

:lol: :lol:

THIS:

L-Theanine

www.xymogen.com

It is a naturally occuring amino acid found in green tea leaves. DS9 and DD9 began taking it (concurrently with their ADHD prescription med) three weeks ago, and I saw positive results immediately. Their ADHD med (

which is not Extended Release) typically had an efficacy of 6-8 hours per dose. We are having TWELVE solid hours of appropriate behavior (no swinging from the light fixtures) -- better appetite, better sleep habits. Sometimes they take another capsule after lunch. I'm happy with this b;c the alternative is that they would have to each take a half dose of Ritalin or Adderall in the afternoon to get us through the latter part of the day -- and now that is not necessary.

The Rheumatologist who is treating ds for his lyme's disease recommended it and she was right on target. PM me if you have any questions.:)

THIS:

L-Theanine

www.xymogen.com

It is a naturally occuring amino acid found in green tea leaves. DS9 and DD9 began taking it (concurrently with their ADHD prescription med) three weeks ago, and I saw positive results immediately. Their ADHD med (

which is not Extended Release) typically had an efficacy of 6-8 hours per dose. We are having TWELVE solid hours of appropriate behavior (no swinging from the light fixtures) -- better appetite, better sleep habits. Sometimes they take another capsule after lunch. I'm happy with this b;c the alternative is that they would have to each take a half dose of Ritalin or Adderall in the afternoon to get us through the latter part of the day -- and now that is not necessary.

The Rheumatologist who is treating ds for his lyme's disease recommended it and she was right on target. PM me if you have any questions.:)

Sorry to hijack here but -

Did your Dr. give you an ID to be able to purchase from the site you linked or did you purchase the product elsewhere? I'm curious bec my middle ds is on Vyvannse and while it's better than anything else we've ever used - it's still not lasting 12 hours. With his playing sports he really needs something to last longer - we've been doing Ritalin boosters in the evening w/ a caffaine drink. I see that it can purchased from various places - just curious as to benefits from place you linked.

To the OP -- the supplements listed have helped here for various focus issues --but I am curious - you say you're beginning to have these probs --have they not been present all along? I ask bec I began having problems remembering things, staying focused, etc. and I had not ever had a problem previously --I found out that my hormone levels were extremely low and my B12 levels. Since starting hormones and B12 supplemets (injections to begin w/) I don't see the probs.

Please tell me something like this exists, because I am becoming very scatter brained and finding it hard to concentrate and not jump from thing to thing.I am looking into a natural supplement my brother has been dx with ADD and I think I suffer from the same thing. I don't want to take Ritalin but I need something to help me stay focused. Thanks for any and all input.

I agree with the water. I start losing any ability to focus when I get the least bit dehydrated, tired, or have not had healthy consistent meals. I added Vitamin D (foudn out I was very low during blood work) and healthy oils(tuna in olive oil, added fish oil,) and that was enough to take away what really had me convinced I needed to be medicated for ADD.

The first thing to do is to make sure those basics, plus exercise are covered, before thinking about taking anything, imho (you may have already done that.) If those still don't do it, then consider other options.

Edited by angela in ohio

Sorry to hijack here but -

Did your Dr. give you an ID to be able to purchase from the site you linked or did you purchase the product elsewhere? No, I provided the website so the OP would be able to read the info herself. I see what you mean, though........the Rheumatologist we see has a naturopathic retail site in her office - she gave me the names of two supplements she wants ds to take and we purchased them at her office. I do know that some of the websites require one to be a physician or in med school to purchase their products OR to have a number provided by a physician. I linked xymogen b/c that is the link on the bottle that we purchased from the MD's office - that's the only reason.:)

I'm curious bec my middle ds is on Vyvannse and while it's better than anything else we've ever used - it's still not lasting 12 hours. We have this issue with Adderall 10mg (not extended release). The collateral problem becomes inability to fall asleep with the afternoon booster.

With his playing sports he really needs something to last longer - we've been doing Ritalin boosters in the evening w/ a caffaine drink. I see that it can purchased from various places - just curious as to benefits from place you linked. As I wrote, not sure there are any benefits from the website I posted - that's just where ours comes from but we purchase in the doctor's office. HTH.

fish oil this summer' date=' and I think it's helped. I was always able to focus when I was young, but as I get older, I feel more scatter-brained. Do some research on fish oil capsules, because I've been told they're not all good quality.

And, as Peela said, drink more water. The naturopath told me to limit coffee to one cup a day and drink more water![/quote']

Which brand of fish oil do you take?

I do a combo of what others have mentioned -- exercise, fish oil, Vitamin D, I also use magnesium. I eat a high protein/high good fats diet and try to avoid blood sugar spikes. I do a ton better when I fit in more sleep -- even adding a 20 minute nap or getting an extra half hour at night improves my focus tremendously. Moderate amounts of caffeine actually alleviate some of my symptoms, although I know that can vary tremendously from person to person.