Menu

Where to buy animals to disect/Advanced Biology help

I plan to do Advanced Biology next year, but the almost 300 bucks for all the Apologia stuff isn't looking to good.

I was planning on possibly getting a college level book and doing dissections myself.

Apologia uses a cow eye, a fetal pig, and a cow heart. We will probably buy a cheap microscope and just look at things without slides, or maybe make our own.

Could I just walk into any Butcher Shop and ask for these things? Would I have to go to a slaughter house and would they allow it?

I have seen people talking about buying animals to dissect on their own on here.

Also, could anyone tell me what their dc did for Advanced Bio? Any books, cheaper programs? Thanks.

I'd go with preserved organisms, not fresh ones. :ack2: I've bought this mammalian organ dissection kit from Carolina Biological. It's $25 for 4 different organs plus 4 prepared slides. They also sell fetal pigs. ETA: You can also just buy the heart and eyeball kits for $14 (for both) and these include all the tools and instructions.

Froguts has 6 different virtual dissections, including a fetal pig and cow eye, as well as 2 genetics labs (fruit flies and Mendel's peas). It's $30 for a 1-yr subscription.

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno

My Dh use to work as a lab technician for the local High School.

He use to go to the local slaughter house for eyes.

I think there are health regulations about some of the other things, and they are meant to be preserved first.

You might be able to get a heart also, I know people go get them for eel and shark fishing.

Thanks everyone!

Should prompt some great threads on vegetarian meal ideas. :D

Stephanie - you are a brave soul to even consider this option. :tongue_smilie:

Haha, I did a fetal pig last year. I just imagined it wasn't what it was the whole time.

Deep breaths (through the mouth of course) and lots of chanting (this is not a pig, this is not a pig, this is not a pig...)

My mother was a bio major. They had to catch their own cat to dissect. I think somewhere along the line growing up I must have heard that story and that was at the bottom of my refusing to take biology in high school (seniors dissected monkeys, freshman frogs), although at the time, the only reason I could give was that it was yucky and I didn't want to learn it. We don't dissect anything we aren't going to eat. That left us a few options, though. My mother bought a heart and a chicken leg at Stop'n'Shop and dissected them with my children to show them how they worked before she made stew out of them.

I have heard of people using road kill. If I had to dissect something, I think I would stop and pick up the nearest run-over squirrel, put on gloves, do it outside, and then put it somewhere for the crows to eat. That would be an ethical way of dissecting a mammal.

We avoided the whole issue by doing natural history.

Yours from out of the box,

Nan

We avoided the whole issue by doing natural history.

Yours from out of the box,

Nan

Another out of the box-er here as my daughter did Geology and Environmental Science (in addition to Physical Science and Chemistry) as she had no intrinsic interest in taking Biology.

Regards,

Kareni

Stephanie NEEDS Biology for what she wants to do in life so skipping isn't an option.

Stephanie, two considerations outside of lab stuff though... Apologia Advanced Biology is mostly A&P. It may be a good idea to evaluate it in relation to A&P courses rather than Adv Biology (or Biology II) courses. If you want Biology II, you may need to look another direction.

Either course would be a GOOD idea, a REALLY good idea; but you do need to compare apples to apples in order to pick the best class for you :)

I buy my speciman's from www.tobinslab.com.

The Cow's eye is $2.89, the sheep's heart is $6.95 but they do not carry fetal pigs. But, if you have never dissected a frog, I would recommend doing the frog. It's much more economical and definitely a good educational opportunity. Fetal Pigs have really gone up in price as supply is low right now.

Fresh speciman's from the butcher are not always in good shape since they aren't being carefully harvested for lab classes. Well, unless your local meat packing facility is under contract with a science supplier to provide organs and fetal pigs.

Also, what is your background in dissecting. If you have not done much before, then I really don't recommend the fetal pig at this time. You could do it later if you are so inclined, but you should start with the frog, organs, and maybe a perch. It is not going to hurt you if you do not do a fetal pig in high school as long as you have other quality dissection experiences. I've taught a number of classes and I hate to say it, but I've had a lot of kids struggle emotionally with the fetal pig. Baby pigs are cute, cute, cute, and it's like trying to force a lot of kids to dissect cats. It can be a bit overwhelming. I never do cats anymore. Too many kids just relate this back to the loss of a beloved pet and I can't bring myself to do it to them when there are other dissection experiences to have. If one is going into medicine, then they should push themselves. But for all other kids, it isn't necessary to do something that can be powerfully, emotionally charged.

Sheep's brains are very interesting and not particularly expensive as are sheep's kidneys.

Apologia Advanced Biology is a great course. It is also expensive. You don't have to go to all of that expense to have a good experience. Many of the slides that come with the prepared kit are available for viewing online. You can visit a number of medical websites for great views of the human body for free.

Hope this helps you out.

Faith