Menu

Washing machines again (anyone with a HE top-loader?)

I posted last week that my washer is not working well and that a service call will be between $100-200, so I was wondering if I should get a new one. If I did get a new one I was thinking I should probably get a front loader because we are now a family of 5 and it would also be good for comforters etc. I did not really want a front loader because I hate bending over and they seemed really expensive.

Well, I was pleasantly surprised when I went to the store and they now have top-loaders that don't have that thing in the middle and have big baskets that take big loads. They are not too expensive and they look like they'd be nice to use. They were Whirlpool and Maytag. They seemed perfect and I was about to buy one but then I looked at reviews online and there was a lot of bad stuff.

You don't set the water levels on these machines. The machine has sensors that do this. People were saying that the machines did not use enough water and the clothes were not coming out clean enough. They also said that because the machines spin so much and pull out so much water their jeans came out so wrinkled that they were still wrinkled after they ironed them. These complaints were made over and over. There were other people who were happy with the machines. These washers are all electronic and a few people complained that there were problems with that after 3 months. None of them come with much in the way of warranty after the first year so this is a concern. If they don't clean well this is a huge concern for me because my sons always get their clothes really dirty. The last thing is that I just don't iron. I would never have the time. I don't use fabric softener and I often hang a lot of stuff to dry. If the machine was getting jeans really wrinkled what would it do to t-shirts?

It could be that people only post reviews when they have negative things to say. Does anyone have these machines, or know someone who does? Are they really bad? I was looking forward to get one, thinking that I would only have to do one load of whites a week instead of three.

We bought Whirlpool Cabrio top loader HE about one month ago. I like it. I haven't noticed the jeans or other clothing being more wrinkled than before. I think that's due to the dryer; maybe it would be more wrinkled if I hung them out to dry.

Edited by MIch elle

I have a GE HE toploader. It is 6 years old and I'm very happy with it.

It can hold a HUGE amount of laundry, I can wash a king-sized down comforter in it.

It does spin very hard and clothes sometimes get twisted but I dry everything and I like to iron :tongue_smilie:.

Whirlpool Cabrio top loader here. I've had it a couple of years. It is okay. I wouldn't buy it again. I'd go ahead with a front loader. The clothes in this one get seriously tied together. I have trouble with it becoming unbalanced, and not wanting to get in balanced, when washing large items. (That I had no trouble with in a front loader.) It gets clothes clean enough, but not like my front loader did.

We had the GE HE top loader for two weeks. Even on a stool, I couldn't reach the bottom of the drum!!!! Truly, it had a huge capacity but my frustration coupled with the issue that NONE of my children could reach the bottom (thus, none could help) left me profusely thanking my dh for the lovely gift AND begging to return it. I'm very happy with it's replacement, GE HE front loader. Perhaps you might want to bring a sock washing machine shopping and make sure that you can comfortably insert and remove items from the machine.

I've had my Maytag Bravos for two weeks (top load HE machine).

I have found that I need to cut the amount of detergent that I use in half (already used an HE detergent) and I always do the extra rinse.

It does seem to be a little pickier about the load being balanced, but I've only had that issue with one load so far (out of 10) and it was all towels. Once I rebalanced the load, it worked just fine.

It seems to get more water out of the laundry than my old washer did, so my dryer is always getting the clothes dry with just one run.

I knew that I had to get a top loader because of the problems with my knees. There's no way I could stand to dig the laundry out of a front loader. That would hurt my knees too much.

Do make sure that you test to see if you can reach all the way down to the bottom of a top loader and that you can comfortably reach all the way to the back of a front loader.

Also, make sure to see if the door of a front loader can be installed either direction. If your washer is on the left, then you want the door hinges to be on the left. Some front loaders (maybe all?) have doors that can only be installed one direction.

Thanks for all the replies. I will have to check if I can reach down in! I read some more online reviews and they were not good though everyone on this forum seems to be saying pretty good things. I am also trying to decide between a 4.3 and a 5.0 Cu. Foot basket. Does anyone know if there is a big difference? The salesman did not seem to think so. I have some big loads but some smaller ones too.

Part of the physics of the efficiency of the HE machines is that they dump/tumble the load of wet clothes in and out of the small amount of water repeatedly, ad nauseum. It can be maddening to be in the lausndry room while the machine reverses its direction over and over again, seemingly randomly! :) I don't see how that could happen with the top loading HE machine, so I wonder how they could be as efficient with water usage or if they truly get the lausndry clean?

If you are concerned about warranty issues on whatever machine you get, you could buy an extended warranty. I buy most of my run-of-the-mill appliances at Sears because of their excellent customer service and their longstanding company policy of working to satisfy the customer. (I don't routinely buy Kenmore, though....we usually look at Consumer Reports and use that to help make choices.)

I am very happy with the LG HE laundry set that we've had for about a year. Our drying time is incredibly short.

Another Maytag Bravos owner here- 3.5 yrs. Really like my washer, the biggest selling point to me- they had a higher capacity than any of the other washers- including HE front loaders, plus at the time (not sure now) they didn't have the ability to hold water and soak. We looked at washers again at HD a few wks ago and there still wasn't one w/ a higher capacity than what we have in the top loader.

We have the Cabrio top loader for a family of 6. I cloth diaper and it gets them clean. It can handle large loads - like our king comforter, but there is the occasional problem of the load becoming unbalanced. That's probably my biggest complaint. But other than that, I've been happy with it for about 4 years now.

We bought the 4.3 HE Maytag top loader just a few months ago. l love it! The capacity is just right for our 6 member family. The inside seems just huge. Don't get the glass top, you just don't need to spend the extra money for looking at your clothes washing, fun as that can be.

As for wrinkling, right after we bought it I noticed our clothes were more wrinkled. But then I found out my husband (who very sweetly does our personal laundry all on one day) was taking the clothes out of the dryer before the cycle was finished, to save time. Now he waits until the dryer has stopped, and we have not had a problem with the wrinkles.

Marie