Menu

Anyone familar with the "Icando.org" neurodevelopmental approach?

Another mom in our homeschool group used one of these 'therapists' and she claims the results were just amazing in her 11 yo dd (reading comp., reasoning, thinking). The website doesn't seem to give a whole lot of info on what exactly they do. She said I can borrow her tapes to listen too. I'd like to hear if anyone else is familar with their approach.

We did it for a year. Youngest dd had phenominal increases in her processing speed. She raised the equivalent of 3 years in 3 months. This allowed her to learn to read. What we did for math was a total waste of time and she was a year behind in it once we we were done. On the flip side this time was the beginning of the end of homeschooling my eldest. We worked 3 hours a day on our ND program every week without fail. I had my eldest keep working too. She became sad during this time which got more and more pronounced. She is such a people person that we knew we would have to send her to school.

Would I do it again? I don't know. I'm glad dd can read. I'm just not sure.

Hmmm, that is interesting. What kind of things did they have you do? What were the ages of your children. Do I understand that they plan out your whole homeschooling day, which curriculum to use and everything? My friend said they spent 4 hours a day on it, but that did include everything.

Was it the program itself that put an end to homeschooling your older daughter..why did it make her so sad? Was it because you had to spend so much time with your other dd?

I'm using Brainskills now, so I guess I should just continue with that, but I can already see roadblocks we are hitting, and think he might need something else.

Do you feel most of the gains were up front and you could have ceased the program earlier than the full year and still had the benefits?

Thanks for any information.

Ginger

Ginger, I did not explain myself well. I'm sorry. My youngest dd was on program. My eldest was not. At the time we homeschooled year round, but took weeks off as we went. You couldn't really do that while doing program. It had to be done every day and we had a couple of activities on weekends. I was stuck because my youngest hated what she was doing and if I had given the older dd time off as we normally did, she would have balked. So I kept both of them working. Oldest dd got burned out on school that developed into a deep sadness. As for quitting early, I don't know maybe. Britt made her phenominal jump in processing in the first 3 months. Others would say no though. The thing that was really key for her was teaching her to army crawl, do jumping jacks and doing the digit-spans.

Here is a sample of what we did daily:

Program Session #1

Fast Jumping Jacks - 1 min.

Auditory Digit-Span (2 min.) & Visual Digit Span (1 min.)

Reading Unknown Sight Word Cards

Pathway Readers

1. Teach sight words

2. Read pages to Brittany

3. Brittany reads

Deep Hugs

Deep Pressure - 1.25 minutes per limb, total 5 min.

Reading Known Sight Word Cards - 2 minutes

Hop Right - 1 min.

Math Fact Flash Cards - 2 minutes

Whistle

Deep Hugs

Auditory Object Sequences - 2 minutes

Hayes Math (50% visual instruction)

Pictures with Conceptual and Visual Description - 5 minutes

Skip Cross Pattern - 3 minutes

Toe Walk - 2 min.

Army Crawl - 3 minutes

Fast Response game - 10 minutes

Program #2

Reading Unknown Sight Word Flash Cards

Pathway Readers

1. Teach sight words

2. Read pages to Brittany

3. Brittany reads

Deep Hugs

Deep Pressure - 1.25 minutes per limb

Reading Known Sight Word Flash Cards - 2 minutes

Pop Bubble Wrap with Right Hand - 1 minute

Rapid Stroke Practice - 1 minute

Handwriting with proper slant - 10 minutes

Hop Right - 1 minute

Math Fact Flash Cards - 2 minutes

Deep Hugs

Auditory Hunt - 2 minutes

Pictures with Conceptual and Visual Description - 5 minutes

Toe walk - 2 minutes

Army crawl

Skip Cross Pattern

3 Tapes - 2 minutes, 3 minutes, & 5 minutes

Tactile stimulation on the Right Hand

During Quiet Time

Book or story on tape

Program Session #3

Deep Hugs

Reading Unknown Sight Word Flash Cards

Read to Daddy and Alicia

Reading Known Sight Word Flash Cards - 2 minutes

Hop Right - 1 minute

Pop Bubble Wrap with Right hand - 1 minute

Math Facts Test

Read Book to Brittany

Math Fact Tape - 3 minutes

Skip Counting Tape - 2 minutes

Deep Hugs

Tactile stimulation on the Right Hand

1 minute - Deep Pressure

12 seconds - Tap sharply

12 seconds - Tickle with feather

12 seconds - Warm washcloth

12 seconds - Cold pack

12 seconds - Vibrating

Wow! That is a lot! Thanks for expalining all that.

Can you give me an example of the digit spans...is that where they repeat back several numbers to you? I started incorporating this into our Brainskills this week, and my ds(turning 8 in a few weeks) can do 4 numbers easily, but can't do 5 numbers. Other than just having him do it over and over again, I'm not sure how to work on increasing that. I told him to close his eyes and visualize the numbers. That got him up to a few correct out of 5 or 6.

Is the Army Crawl just crawling on your tummy with your elbows--how long each day did you do that?

Sorry for all the questions..I'm just thinking it wouldn't hurt to add in some of this stuff.

Did your dd have any problems with eye dominance? The lady I know who was telling me about the program said that if you are right handed, you should be right eye dominant. However, this contradicts what I learned when I was being trained in NeuroNet. We were taught that your opposite eye should be the one that is dominant, because some things cross hemispheres, and others are the same side. All 3 of my kids, and myself are Right handed, Left eye. So either we are all totally messed up or I was taught wrong, of just got confused about what I learned, which could be very likely.

She was right-handed, left-eyed, right eared and mixed dominance on the foot. She army crawled twice a day for 3 minutes each time. The kid crawled like a crippled person as a baby. I think this one was important. Your son should be doing 6's or 7's for digit spans for his age. Auditory Digit Spans you say a number then count 1001 between each number, never repeat a number. Britt could only do 3 when she started and got up to 6 at the end.

• 2 weeks later...

We did this for 24 months. Dd had Irlens. Within 4 months it was completely gone, allowing her to read. However, she never did get right-eyed dominant or increase her digit spans. Now that she is almost a senior, she is blaming me for the therapy because she says it put her behind all of her friends academically. Looking back, I still would have done it but not for so long. I think whatever progress she was capable of making, she probably made in the first eight months, but how was I supposed to know that? The therapy did nothing for her math skills or processing skills, but we are very happy that her Irlens is gone!