Menu

High school science (Christian perspective)--need remediation--advice?

Let's just assume someone you know were in this situation...what would you advise? :leaving:

High school freshman, has done little science beyond reading A Beka science textbooks up to about grade 8 for fun. Was also behind in math, but has progressed by leaps & bounds in the past 1 1/2 years, cramming in math with moderate effort, and caught up to MUS Algebra 1. She is about half-way through, will be finished way before the end of the year, and will probably finish both Algebra 2 *and* Geometry by the end of her sophomore year.

What science curriculum would be appropriate for this kid, and what progression can be used to help her get enough real science in for college prep? What level of science should she be doing even though the math skills aren't quite there yet? Curriculum with a Christian perspective would be preferred. Oh, and it also has to be relatively easy to do independently, since mom is a near-complete idiot. :blush:

Thanks,

Julie

Most high school sciences assume no previous knowledge so she can just jump right in. Some books would be easier than others but I don't think you probably need to worry about that past her affinity and need for the subject. Whether you used something rigorous like BJU or easier like Apologia would be up to you. Starting now, she could easily do 4 sciences. Additionally, some students don't have an issue with taking two separate sciences at a time depending on what they are (obviously Biology II comes after Biology I; but there isn't any reason Physical Science can't be taken at the same time as Biology).

Most high school sciences assume no previous knowledge so she can just jump right in. Some books would be easier than others but I don't think you probably need to worry about that past her affinity and need for the subject. Whether you used something rigorous like BJU or easier like Apologia would be up to you. Starting now, she could easily do 4 sciences. Additionally, some students don't have an issue with taking two separate sciences at a time depending on what they are (obviously Biology II comes after Biology I; but there isn't any reason Physical Science can't be taken at the same time as Biology).

Well, that is what I would have thought also, but her math level is not up to the recommendation for most of the science curricula I have looked into. :confused:

Well, that is what I would have thought also, but her math level is not up to the recommendation for most of the science curricula I have looked into.

Recommendations are always to be taken with a grain of salt.

I teach an algebra and trig based college physics course for which the math actually necessary is algebra and trigonometry. My DD13 had solid algebra 1 knowledge, some algebra 2, I taught her a two week crash course in trig, she is taking the class and doing well. Does not meet the formal prerequisites of course, but I know the contents and know she has all she needs. She will need algebra 2 for next semester's material, as it contains logarithms and exponentials.

We did biology (Campbell Reece concepts and connections) last year and I do not recall any math.

The hardest math you'd need for high school chemistry are probably logarithms and exponents.

So, you can certainly start with sciences. Go ahead, start with bio and do not worry about the recommendations.

Much more important than having a lot of math classes is that the student knows the algebra absolutely rock solid. Many students in my calculus based physics class struggle not because of calc, but because their algebra 1 skills are not solid. Those are the most important math skills a student needs to be successful.

I have no specific curriculum recommendation; we just use intro college texts.

Edited by regentrude

Well, that is what I would have thought also, but her math level is not up to the recommendation for most of the science curricula I have looked into. :confused:

If she's doing Algebra I right now, she should be able to do biology this year and chemistry next. At least that's what we did with Apologia science. But a thorough understanding of algebra is necessary for chemistry.

But I agree with Pam. With what you're describing, you should be able to get 4 years of science finished.

I don't understand how she is behind in math if she's half way through Algebra I. I mean, most 9th graders are not half way through Algebra I as of today (will be by Dec). Physical science doesn't take Algebra. Biology doesn't generally either (though there is one chapter that is easier with it). And lots of school kids take Algebra I and Chemistry at the same time (though *I* wouldn't want *my* kid to do it).

Seriously, I just don't see the issue. 9th grade Algebra I is normal (though 8th grade is getting to be pretty normal in many places also).

I think the MAIN reason for the recommendations (outside of particularly Physics, but I believe Chemistry also) is for the student to be far enough in their thinking, reasoning, figuring, and experience. There is a good deal of indepth information, information regarding things we cannot see, etc.

Edited by 2J5M9K