Menu

I decided to have the Mirena IUD. Please tell me this isn't a mistake

I decided to go ahead and have the Mirena IUD put in.

Because I have anemia, my GYN gave me some options.

After all my tests(Endo Biopsy, Ultrasound, and pap smear) that were all normal he told me I could do the following.

Do nothing and deal with my periods coming every 3 weeks with spotting happening 3-5 days prior. Keep taking the iron pills.

D and C(nope, do not want general anesthesia)

Endo Ablation(Not an option for me, as 25% of women end up with a hysterectomy if bleeding becomes bad again)

The Mirena IUD.

BC pills are not an option for me.

I will not be using this for Birth Control.

Has anyone had the Mirena IUD? How bad does it hurt to have it put in? Worse then the endo biopsy?

Have you had any trouble with it?

Did your periods get lighter, or stop?

I was given a list of bad side effects such as infection that could possibly lead to loss of uterus, lost string which could be painful to retrieve, or even have to be removed in the operating room. Cysts.

I felt this was the least invasive procedure.

So, can anyone help? Thank you in advance.

I had the Mirena IUD. It's....uncomfortable and weird feeling when it's being put in. I got a little light headed, but it wasn't a big deal. My periods completely stopped after a few months, and I loved it. However, after about a year I started having the same issues I had with bc pills (headaches, fatigue, moodiness, sometimes nausea). It went on long enough and got bad enough that I went to my doctor who told me that mirena shouldn't be causing all that. I dealt with it for another year and then insisted on having it removed (I had it for 3 years total). After it was removed, I started feeling better, then got pregnant =). Finally after having the baby and really getting back to normal I realize how much it affected me. Even the doctor admitted that it must have been the Mirena. Lots of people have no problems, but if you get side effects from the bc pills, be aware that this can do the same thing. It just took longer for the hormones in the IUD to start to really effect me.

I love mine. The insertion was not comfortable and it took about 4 months for my period to completely stop. DH had a V after our youngest so I had this put in for my very heavy periods that were causing anemia.

So far no side effects but since I am that patient in the .00001 percent will experience this strange side effects I can't rule them out in the future.

I had obvious side effects for the first few months. They were annoying, but they eventually subsided. It was nice having very light periods. However, other side effects came on more slowly.

I removed it after 3 years because I started having frequent cramping and spotting. But then all sorts of other minor physical complaints vanished. I didn't even know they were Mirena side effects until the darn thing was out and they went away. I even had an unnecessary mammogram/ultrasound because of a painful breast lump that was there for months. Lo and behold, it immediately went away after the Mirena was removed.

If I was doing it again, I'd try the copper T instead, and only use Mirena if I had problems with heavy flow or cramping.

By the way, you should not need general anesthesia for a D&C. If your doctor insists, I'd ask for a second opinion.

I had it for just about 3 years and LOVED IT-when not on bc pills I have awful,horrid periods (will spare you the details)--but after about a year of being on mirena they were so light I was only using panty liners---then I had a cyst that wouldn't go away--and due to my other health concerns we knew the drs didn't want us to have any more babies (too dangerous for me)...so we knew a tubal was inevitable....I DID have the ablation and tubal about 4-5 years ago and it's been wonderful not having to deal with periods-I'm still having them but they last on average 3 days/week....and are still very light as they were with the mirena...so for me it was fabulous! I'd do it again.....

** yes the day it was put it,I cramped some and felt "sore"/tender around "that area" but ibuprofen helped and after a few days it was over---wasn't constant pain but for a few days I was uncomfy....

It caused some cramping going in, but that stopped after a few days. I stopped having periods, but I spotted pretty continually, which was very annoying. It also prevented me from losing weight. I had it removed after two years. I've lost 13 pounds since removal, changing absolutely nothing with regard to diet and exercise. I got a Paragard IUD and haven't loved that, either. It has caused heavier periods and I spot for a few days before and after. We are done having kids, so after dh gets a vasectomy I will get it removed.

In your situation, however, Mirena does seem to be a reasonable option. I hope you don't have side effects. :)

I know some people who love it and some people who hate it. Several friends have told me that they are uncomfortable to have inserted and you cramp after. I have one friend who bleed continuously after having it inserted and became extremely manic which was not normal. She had it removed after 2 months and was fine. Another friend had hers become lodged in her c-section scar and had to have surgery to remove it, my third friend who had a negative experience was more on her husbands part - he impaled his p&n!s on the wire string requiring a trip to the emergency room for him and the the ob to have it removed for her.

You do not have to have general anesthesia for a D&C. I've had 3 because of miscarriages....one in the hospital because the pregnancy was twins and I was about 11 weeks along....and I never had general. They had scheduled general for the hospital one, but I said I didn't want it and they were fine with it. The D&C itself takes less than 5 minutes. Piece of cake.

I never had any issues at all when I was on birth control pills. But again, that was in my teens and in my early 20's.

I really do not want a D+C. If they do not give you a general, how else would it be done? Local?((shiver)).

The insertion part worries me the most.:confused: So if I can get through that, and HOPEFULLY have no ill side effects, I would love to be able to have no periods or less of a flow.

If this does not work out, I will probably do nothing and just ride it out until menopause. Keep taking my iron and along I go.

Oh, to whoever left that link to cyroablation, thank you. I have never heard of it actually.

Thank you for sharing your experineces with me. I know it is a personal choice and everyone is different. But I have heard more positive stories then not so far.

Could someone tell me that if I take 2 Ibuprofren before the procedure that it might go better?

Please continue to share your stories. And thanks again

I really do not want a D+C. If they do not give you a general, how else would it be done? Local?((shiver)).

I had a d&c and hysteroscopy with IV-conscious sedation. I was loopy, but I was fascinated in a geeky kind of way watching her use the hysteroscope to remove a polyp on the screen :D The aftermath of the d&c was unpleasant for me though - very hard cramping.

The insertion part worries me the most.:confused: So if I can get through that, and HOPEFULLY have no ill side effects, I would love to be able to have no periods or less of a flow.

After 6 kids, the insertion was a breeze for me. I really didn't even feel it. (and I've had plenty of infertility procedures, long story, so you'd think I'd notice! I was kinda expecting something like the HSG, but it wasn't like that at all :)) I was a bit crampy for a few days - basically it felt a bit like early pregnancy.

I've had plenty of random spotting, but never a period on the mirena. I had it inserted at about 12 weeks postpartum. I do feel as though it has exacerbated my PCOS symptoms - unwanted hair, difficulty losing weight, acne, and I have symptoms of having an actual cycle but without the actual ovulation - hot flashes early on, and expanding ovaries (mine are giant thanks to the pcos) - feels like being on clomid sometimes. Though I don't have the progesterone part of the cycle :).

Once in a while I get a little crampy and get concerned about pregnancy (in spite of everything :tongue_smilie: ) so I keep a stash of cheapo hpt strips, a holdover from my infertility days.

If I could, I'd take oral contraceptives (my old favorite demulen), but I have a blood clotting issue, so I can't. Mirena does not contain estrogen. I can't say I love the Mirena; it has significant advantages for me (virtually no periods, no hassle) and disadvantages (exacerbates my PCOS). I wanted to have it out several times. But now I'm kinda spoiled. My only other alternative is tubal ligation (don't even ask about DH :glare:). I'm going to chat with the OB about it - thanks for reminding me, I need to schedule an annual visit. Everyone I know seems to love the mirena. I like it, but can't say that I love it.

I think you are wise to consider a little pre-treatment with ibuprofen for the insertion, and then keep the ibuprofen rolling around the clock the first couple of days. You'll be fine.

But now I'm kinda spoiled. My only other alternative is tubal ligation (don't even ask about DH :glare:). I'm going to chat with the OB about it - thanks for reminding me, I need to schedule an annual visit. Everyone I know seems to love the mirena. I like it, but can't say that I love it.

Essure â„¢ Incisonless Permanent Birth Control for Women Have you looked into this?

I had a d&c with no pain meds except for local shots. The first couple of local shots hurt, for sure, but if I had to do it again, I would do it the same way since when the d&c was over, I felt fine and I left. There was no hanging around or having to come out of anesthesia. Mine was done in my ob's office.

I had the Mirena for almost the full 5 years. I had regular AF-type cramping when it was inserted and a minor freak-out about a foreign object in my body. :001_huh: I spotted for quite a while (a few months?) but my periods did completely disappear. I really liked it and I'd go back on it, no problem. I took it out to TTC (and the removal was like removing a tampon, very easy).

Essure â„¢ Incisonless Permanent Birth Control for Women Have you looked into this?

Yes, thanks! I can't remember why I didn't want to do Essure, besides being creeped out about having metal coils grown into my body (sorry!). Oh - I believe that a nickel allergy is a contraindication to Essure, and I am at least a little suspicious that I also have a nickel allergy.

I had the Mirena IUD. My periods stopped completely. :001_wub:

It was slightly painful to have put in, but nothing bad. I took Ibuprofen before I went in, and I put a heating pad on my abdomen when I got home. No big deal.

It hurt worse when they took it out, but still, nothing I couldn't deal with. (I will say that I didn't cry when I got a tattoo but I cried when I got the IUD out.)

Tara

I love mine: I've had three, for a total of around ten years so far. It's uncomfortable to have it put in, but not really painful. There was minor cramping afterwards. I like the string to be cut very short, so it can sometimes be a little difficult to take out, but I am very happy with it. My periods basically stopped: I get random light spotting, so I wear a panty liner every day.

Laura

I have had two copper IUDs inserted and I am assuming the insertion is the same as for Mirena. I hate all work done in that area, but easily survived both insertions. It does help to take some painkillers before. I don't think I even had any cramping the second time around. It was a breeze getting the IUD out, 5 years after insertion. I had the procedures done with different health care providers, btw.

Why can you not do BCPs? The only reason I ask is because I can't use them for hormonal reasons (I can't take estrogen) and Mirena contains hormones. Just something to think about.

Because I am over 35, a smoker(who has been trying to quit and I have cut down ALOT), and have high blood pressure.

Well, it sounds as if these are generally positive stories.

Hmmm...about the D+C, that would be a second choice for me still.

Like I said earlier, was on BCP from about age 15(I know, I know) to about age 21, then again for about 2 years from age 22 to 24. Since then, I have never used any birth control for *myself*.

I have never, ever had any women problems at all. No cysts, polyps, fibroids, abnormal paps, and now no uterine cancer per endo biopsy result.

I am a little hesitant to start *fooling around down there* with things like D+C's, ablations etc. They seem to invasive for me at this point.

And I would not even be considering the Mirena if it wasn't for the combination of my anemia, and periods coming closer together now:confused:

If I didn't have anemia, I might just deal with nothing and ride it out until menopause. But I think I owe it to myself to at least try this, and worse comes to worse, it is not permanant like an endo. ablation and I can just have it removed. And resume my AF like before. But if it stops or slows my AF, I have a chance of getting off iron pills. They are not horrible to take, but it is just one more medication I will not have to deal with. And one less Dr(Hematologist)

I just wanted to see if anyone had any real horror stories, but seems as if the side effects people have complained of, were not life threatening ones. Those are the ones that concern me:001_huh:

Thank you to everyone so far for sharing:lol:

I have a Mirena, I'm on #2 for a total of 6 years so far. I love it, I get no periods.

I had some cramping on insertion, but no, it wouldn't be worse than a biopsy. It's not much worse than a smear.

I got worse PMS for a while, but that seems to have settled.

:001_smile: I am glad to hear this.

My SIL has had the Mirena for 5 years, and loves it.

Glad to hear it wasn't worse then the biopsy. Because even though I thought the procedure was barbaric(as in only a man could have come up with that one :lol:).....It wasn't all that bad. I would do it again if I had to without being nervous.

Maybe it is because I had two kids, and both were horrific and long labors!!

I had the Mirena for 1 year, and I absolutely loved it. No insertion issues for me. It didn't eliminate my periods, but it made them much more manageable (I usually have 7-day, heavy periods.)

I always recommend it highly for women considering it, but I also always share my own little disclaimer. If your periods stop (or they don't, but one is late), POS. I did become pregnant after a year with the IUD, and it was ectopic, but I never had any ectopic symptoms until I ruptured (and that was after it was diagnosed and I was treated with Methotrexate!)

Still, if it was allowed, I'd get another one in a second. I'd just keep HPTs on hand, just in case.

I had the Mirena for 1 year, and I absolutely loved it. No insertion issues for me. It didn't eliminate my periods, but it made them much more manageable (I usually have 7-day, heavy periods.)

I always recommend it highly for women considering it, but I also always share my own little disclaimer. If your periods stop (or they don't, but one is late), POS. I did become pregnant after a year with the IUD, and it was ectopic, but I never had any ectopic symptoms until I ruptured (and that was after it was diagnosed and I was treated with Methotrexate!)

Still, if it was allowed, I'd get another one in a second. I'd just keep HPTs on hand, just in case.

Oooohhh, sorry to hear about that.:001_huh:

Well, hopefully pregnancy will not be an issue. DH is going in to be *fixed*:lol::lol:

In the meantime, we will use our *other* form of BC we have been using the past 12 years.:D

I have a copper IUD that I've had in for 9 years and am at my 10 year mark next year to have it replaced. I will go with another one unless the dr. recommends differently. Dh didn't want either of us to be "fixed" but I love this and haven't had any problems with it. I still have periods, but they are fairly light and regular.

Mirena should be used with caution if you are:

-Smoker

-Have liver, heart, gallbladder, kidney, or thyroid disease

-Have high blood pressure

-High cholesterol

-Diabetes

-Epilepsy

-Asthma

-Porphyria

-Obese

-Stroke or heart attack in the past

-Depression

-Family history of breast cancer or other cancers

-Mirena does not protect against HIV (AIDS), or other STDs.

-If you experience abdominal pain, contact your physician right away.

-In rare cases, oral contraceptives like Mirena may cause benign liver tumors.

With as much health anxiety as you have, getting a Mirena UID put in would give you a whole new basket of things to worry about. Would that be worth it for you?

I had one put in October 2009. Putting it in wasn't a big deal; about the same discomfort level as a pap is for me....just mild cramping.

Three weeks later I developed severe eczema from the waist down, on my lips, and on my upper and lower eyelids. I itched so bad that I scratched day and night and ended up with scars all over my calves and thighs. I went through a large tube of hydrocortizone monthly even though I used as little as I could.

I finally gave up and had it removed in February. It took a several months for my skin to recover. I ended up having to use hydrocortizone on my eyes and mouth (not recommended) as nothing else was working. I still have scars. I still get mild flare ups of a spot here or there.

I've always had sensitive skin. I've always been fidgety because of mild itchiness. I've never had eczema.

Eczema is not a listed side effect. My doctor hadn't heard of that reaction. But I found posts/reviews online of people mentioning they had that reaction. Can it be proven? Probably not.

I'm not trying to scare you...just make you aware that you can have reactions that are not listed. If you think something is a result of the IUD, go with your gut.

With as much health anxiety as you have, getting a Mirena UID put in would give you a whole new basket of things to worry about. Would that be worth it for you?

This was also any issue for me. I had a LOT of anxiety knowing I had this foreign body in me and wondering what it was doing to me.

That said, I just started BCP for the first time in 11 1/2 years and am dealing with anxiety of them, too, though not as bad.

Please talk to your doctor about pre-medicating for the insertion for anxiety and/or pain. It sounds to me like you are fearful, which is reasonable. I am like that for many procedures.

A little xanax and a nice dose of narcotics a couple hours before your procedure, and maybe one more dose of each a few hours later, and you'll be amazed at how much less anxiety & pain you will experience.

Trust me!

(Obviously, that isn't an option if one has substance/addiction issues. Thankfully, I don't. . . b/c I love the pills for dental or gyn appts. . .)

I was anxious too - I don't do pain well. But it was quick and I did my Lamaze type breathing and it seriously was over in two minutes at the most. Some cramping but nothing nearly as bad as when I had a biopsy years ago.

As someone who had periods so heavy I couldn't leave the house for the first two days accompanied by horrific cramps? It really has helped. I'm usually a bit of a hypochondriac and thought it would bother me to know it was in there? The relief from the 7 days a month of horrible periods has been worth the - minimal for me - risks so far.

Well, it sounds as if these are generally positive stories.

Hmmm...about the D+C, that would be a second choice for me still.

Like I said earlier, was on BCP from about age 15(I know, I know) to about age 21, then again for about 2 years from age 22 to 24. Since then, I have never used any birth control for *myself*.

I have never, ever had any women problems at all. No cysts, polyps, fibroids, abnormal paps, and now no uterine cancer per endo biopsy result.

I am a little hesitant to start *fooling around down there* with things like D+C's, ablations etc. They seem to invasive for me at this point.

And I would not even be considering the Mirena if it wasn't for the combination of my anemia, and periods coming closer together now:confused:

If I didn't have anemia, I might just deal with nothing and ride it out until menopause. But I think I owe it to myself to at least try this, and worse comes to worse, it is not permanant like an endo. ablation and I can just have it removed. And resume my AF like before. But if it stops or slows my AF, I have a chance of getting off iron pills. They are not horrible to take, but it is just one more medication I will not have to deal with. And one less Dr(Hematologist)

I just wanted to see if anyone had any real horror stories, but seems as if the side effects people have complained of, were not life threatening ones. Those are the ones that concern me:001_huh:

Thank you to everyone so far for sharing:lol:

Have you considered natural progesterone? I was starting to have heavier cycles and acute discomfort and haywire cycle lengths. The progesterone cut down on the bleeding a lot and made me more regular. I am 37. The progesterone is not a bc, in fact, it is used to promote conception and maintain a pregnancy. Maybe the smoking won't enter into it.

This was also any issue for me. I had a LOT of anxiety knowing I had this foreign body in me and wondering what it was doing to me.

That said, I just started BCP for the first time in 11 1/2 years and am dealing with anxiety of them, too, though not as bad.

No, having some kind of foreign body inside of me does not bother me at all. :001_smile:

I ended up having mine removed.

They said that you could have spotting and more frequent periods for the first 9 months or something like that, but that after that, a lot of women tended to have lighter and/or less frequent periods.

Well, I don't remember how long that initial constant 'spotting' lasted for me, but it was WAY longer than nine months.

Then, when that finally did stop, it was true that I got LIGHTER periods- but they came MORE often. I was getting them every two weeks.

I finally had enough and just had it removed.

I will say it was never physically uncomfortable though (other than the initial insertion which was only a temporary and mild discomfort).

Mirena should be used with caution if you are:

-Smoker

-Have liver, heart, gallbladder, kidney, or thyroid disease

-Have high blood pressure

-High cholesterol

-Diabetes

-Epilepsy

-Asthma

-Porphyria

-Obese

-Stroke or heart attack in the past

-Depression

-Family history of breast cancer or other cancers

-Mirena does not protect against HIV (AIDS), or other STDs.

-If you experience abdominal pain, contact your physician right away.

-In rare cases, oral contraceptives like Mirena may cause benign liver tumors.

Well, that would pretty much leave out 3/4 of the population...:lol:

I am not worried about any of the above. My BP is under control. This would not be for someone who has uncontrolled high blood pressure.

My SIL has had the Mirena for 5 years, and she is insulin dependent diabetic, smokes, takes prescription meds for depression, has a strong family HX of ovarian cysts, and she has not had any trouble.

Would it be the same for me? I don't know.

Never had any trouble with BCP.

Again I was younger.....:001_huh:

Would it give a host of other things to worry about? Not any more then starting a new medication. Anything new that you are putting into your body should be a concern. If I have it done, and I have severe side effects, out it will come. It is not permanent.

And the trade off *could* be, no more anemia which means no more IV Iron Infusions(That make me very sick, or even pass out), and no more Iron therapy.

A D+C *may* be a second choice. But it would probably only be a choice if I really had to do it.

I do not HAVE to get the Mirena. It is a choice. I won't die if I don't get it.

I almost feel like if I don't try it, I would have wondered if it would have worked well for me, like it has for others and not have to deal with the anemia or periods any longer.

Also, I can deal with pain of insertion. I just need to know upfront as to what is happening. I have a pretty good idea now what I am in for. Hubby is coming in with me so I can make more scars on his hand if I need to:tongue_smilie:

I am one of those weird people who does NOT like to be under any sedation, drugs, or anesthesia. I guess it is a control issue for me:D

I would rather be fully awake and conscious and know what is going on.

If only menopause would get here already!!

I have had two copper IUDs inserted and I am assuming the insertion is the same as for Mirena. I hate all work done in that area, but easily survived both insertions. It does help to take some painkillers before. I don't think I even had any cramping the second time around. It was a breeze getting the IUD out, 5 years after insertion. I had the procedures done with different health care providers, btw.

That's been my experience with the copper IUD. I will say that my DH HATES the string. ;) It's not a big deal, but he would prefer I not get an IUD again. I haven't decided yet. The IUD (whichever you get) certainly is convenient.

Then, when that finally did stop, it was true that I got LIGHTER periods- but they came MORE often. I was getting them every two weeks.

That is how mine are now, I start spotting two weeks after I stop my last period for about 5 days then go into a full blown period for another 5-7 days. YUCK.

I think I would like just having a light period every two weeks,rather then a full blown period every two weeks.

I still have lots of time to back out if I want. I have the appt scheduled. But I don't have to do it next week.

I appreciate everyones input and will do more serious thinking about it.:)

Have you considered natural progesterone? I was starting to have heavier cycles and acute discomfort and haywire cycle lengths. The progesterone cut down on the bleeding a lot and made me more regular. I am 37. The progesterone is not a bc, in fact, it is used to promote conception and maintain a pregnancy. Maybe the smoking won't enter into it.

Would you mind telling me more about this? I like the idea of "natural". This comes in a cream, correct?

Can this cause bad side effects, or be dangerous in any way?

That is how mine are now, I start spotting two weeks after I stop my last period for about 5 days then go into a full blown period for another 5-7 days. YUCK.

I think I would like just having a light period every two weeks,rather then a full blown period every two weeks.

I still have lots of time to back out if I want. I have the appt scheduled. But I don't have to do it next week.

I appreciate everyones input and will do more serious thinking about it.:)

In that case, I don't blame you! :)

I had the Mirena. It hurt having it inserted, but the pain didn't last long or anything. The doc who took it out again said it had to do with the insertion tool's design.

I've never had an endo biopsy to compare it to.

I didn't have any trouble with it, and had it for several years. I didn't have regular periods while on it, just light spotting at irregular intervals. It was really nice (I've always had heavy periods) and come to think of it, my iron levels are a lot better than they were prior.

The infection risk is minimal if you and your partner (husband) are monogamous. It's mainly a risk of Pelvic Inflammatory Disease increases in the event of an STD.

Here is one negative story for you, although not TOO negative :)

I had a mirena iud put in after my 3rd was born. I had bleeding and spotting for almost 2 months, but the Dr said that was normal. I still had a period every month, even though I was nursing! I had regular flows while nursing my other kids, too, so that was no surprise to me. I had hoped that mirena would stop it. :( My flow was a bit lighter, though!

I had some times where I would have pain in my uterus or cervix and I was convinced that it had perforated, but.... it didn't. lol

We did have the string cut once since DH could feel it. There were times where I couldn't feel the string (you are supposed to check it once a month) but, nothing bad came of that.

When I had it taken out, I bled for a LONG time. Huge clots and going through pads in an hour, etc... The Dr said that it was just my body getting used to not having the hormones. I started taking seasonale BCPs and the bleeding stopped. Those pills are the only thing that has stopped my periods! At least for 3 months at a time! I love them. It's too bad you can't take BCPs. They do make a Seasonale lo or Seasonique lo version, maybe you could look into that.

I chose NOT to have another Mirena put in because we did not know if we wanted another one or not, and we were on a different insurance plan and it would have been more expensive. I also did not really want it in my body for another 5 years. I am ready to be OFF of hormones, but not ready to be a new mom :)

I just got mine three weeks ago. It only took about a minute for insertion and it only hurt for about 4 seconds. It felt like a poke or pinch. I felt like I had stressed over nothing because I had been going back and forth with my decision almost a year.

I did have some cramping and bleeding that evening. Light bleeding for two more days and some extremely light spotting a couple of times since. This is the week I would normally start my period so I am waiting to see what happens.

I am anxious to see how it works for me in the long run. I am 40 and have had horrible periods for two years now. I hope it works but I am prepared to ditch it at the first sign of mood swings, skin problems or any other undesired issues.

Would you mind telling me more about this? I like the idea of "natural". This comes in a cream, correct?

Can this cause bad side effects, or be dangerous in any way?

I don't know that much but I don't think it's dangerous. If you do a search on the WTM boards for natural progesterone, some of the ladies posted a lot of info plus links.

Perimenopausal (sp?) women and those with lots of estrogen are helped by bio identical progesterone. Mine is prescription but you can get it over the counter at specialty stores.

It's just a cream you rub on the inside of your wrists or thighs.

It's a bit of a diuretic and it has made my adult acne a *little* worse (but I was already on medication for acne before the progesterone). It helps with moods and insomnia. It took a little while for me to get used to it but I stuck with it because I really enjoyed having lighter and shorter periods. My booKs would go crazy and now it's not so bad. I am getting to what seems like a normal cycle. It's weird. It's like being on BCP but it's the opposite actually.

Anyway, look into it. It might help or not. It wouldn't kill you to try.

Im on my 2nd Mirena and love it! I made my husband go with me the 1st time for insertion, because I was scared but it didn't hurt at all! I think it's just something touching the cervix that feels so uncomfortable--I never felt pain though. My periods are light but come at regular intervals. My skin is great most of the time--maybe a bump or two right before i start, but nothing to complain about! I've lost almost 100lbs since dd was born almost 18 months ago, so no trouble loosing weight here (I do workout though!)...overall I've had two GREAT experiences! I've always been weary of eptopic pg because my mother had one between my brother & I, but so far no issues whatsoever! :)

Just a suggestion but my midwife had me take alfalfa during my prenancies as a natural source of iron & vitamins, etc. PM if you'd like more info! :)

Here is one negative story for you, although not TOO negative :)

I had a mirena iud put in after my 3rd was born. I had bleeding and spotting for almost 2 months, but the Dr said that was normal. I still had a period every month, even though I was nursing! I had regular flows while nursing my other kids, too, so that was no surprise to me. I had hoped that mirena would stop it. :( My flow was a bit lighter, though!

I had some times where I would have pain in my uterus or cervix and I was convinced that it had perforated, but.... it didn't. lol

We did have the string cut once since DH could feel it. There were times where I couldn't feel the string (you are supposed to check it once a month) but, nothing bad came of that.

When I had it taken out, I bled for a LONG time. Huge clots and going through pads in an hour, etc... The Dr said that it was just my body getting used to not having the hormones. I started taking seasonale BCPs and the bleeding stopped. Those pills are the only thing that has stopped my periods! At least for 3 months at a time! I love them. It's too bad you can't take BCPs. They do make a Seasonale lo or Seasonique lo version, maybe you could look into that.

I chose NOT to have another Mirena put in because we did not know if we wanted another one or not, and we were on a different insurance plan and it would have been more expensive. I also did not really want it in my body for another 5 years. I am ready to be OFF of hormones, but not ready to be a new mom :)

You know, what about the "mini-Pill"????? He did not offer that as a choice. I wonder why?

That's been my experience with the copper IUD. I will say that my DH HATES the string. ;) It's not a big deal, but he would prefer I not get an IUD again. I haven't decided yet. The IUD (whichever you get) certainly is convenient.

Have your doc leave the strings a little longer than usual and see if that solves the problem. Sometimes they're cut too short, so they sort of stick out of the cervix. The longer ones just sort of find their way upward and wind around the cervix.

I'm on my second Paragard (copper, non-hormonal) IUD. I have no experience with the Mirena, but I will say that insertion and extraction aren't too bad. For me, both gave me some menstrual-like cramps that were intense, but very brief. I had cramps and spotting for about a week after insertion, nothing that ibuprofen couldn't handle.