Menu

BJU is charging me sales tax??? Confused.

I was trying to order one of Bob Jones Distance learning programs earlier today, and they are charging me sales tax. I don't think I've ever had to pay sales tax on any curriculum I've ordered in the past (from other providers). I've ordered from Sonlight, CBD, and Rainbow Resource, Peace Hill, many others--can't recall ever being charged for my local sales tax. Why does BJU?

Not only are they charging me sales tax, they are overcharging me by 4 percent. I live in unincorporated county, but they are also charging me for the local city tax. When I called to see if they would change it, they told me I would have to get my local post office to mail them a letter stating that I do not live in "xxx" city limits.

Really????? That's frustrating.

I have decided it's just BJU! I live in SC and go into their store - it irks me that they charge me sales tax when no other vendor charges sales tax. In SC education/curriculum purchases are suppose to be tax free. I asked them about it - their response, "That's only for public and private schools." My response, "Then why can I go to Children's Books or other vendors in the state and not pay sales tax as a homeschooler?"

Could BJU be shipping from your state? Only out of state purchases are exempt from sales tax. I live in KS. That means I get charged sales tax on amazon purchases, which I think stinks!!!

That does stink!

You could be right--I'm going to check on that. When I check the website's policy, it just says that they are required by law to collect sales tax. Period. And then they list all of the states that they are required to collect sales tax on shipping as well. I can't imagine they are shipping from all fifty states, but maybe they are!

My understanding is that you don't pay local sales tax on orders from out of state, but there is a place to enter that on our state income tax forms every year.

I have decided it's just BJU! I live in SC and go into their store - it irks me that they charge me sales tax when no other vendor charges sales tax. In SC education/curriculum purchases are suppose to be tax free. I asked them about it - their response, "That's only for public and private schools." My response, "Then why can I go to Children's Books or other vendors in the state and not pay sales tax as a homeschooler?"

That's interesting. If they had a store here (Alabama), I could understand why they were charging me the sales tax, but I can't recall ever hearing of a "bricks and mortar" BJU store in Alabama. maybe I'm wrong. Their business office is supposed to call me back tomorrow about adjusting the 10% to 6%, so I will ask about it then.

Technically, any vendor who ever sells things in your state (like at a convention) should be charging sales tax. Many don't, but generally they are outside the law on that. BJU charges sales tax in EVERY state because they sell in every state (through conventions, motel meetings, etc.) They want to be above reproach in business matters.

As for educational books/supplies not being taxable, can you buy school books at B & N (in the store) and not pay tax? What about workbooks from Walmart? Generally, schools are sales tax exempt because they are non-profit (and thereby have a sales tax exemption.)

Technically, any vendor who ever sells things in your state (like at a convention) should be charging sales tax. Many don't, but generally they are outside the law on that. BJU charges sales tax in EVERY state because they sell in every state (through conventions, motel meetings, etc.) They want to be above reproach in business matters.

As for educational books/supplies not being taxable, can you buy school books at B & N (in the store) and not pay tax? What about workbooks from Walmart? Generally, schools are sales tax exempt because they are non-profit (and thereby have a sales tax exemption.)

:iagree:

Isn't BJU one of the curriculum vendors that travel all over so that people can see their curriculum before buying? If a company has a physical presence in a state, that creates nexxus with that state. If they have nexxus, they have to create sales tax. The states have been very aggressive on this issue in the past several years, and court decisions have been going their favor.

Could BJU be shipping from your state? Only out of state purchases are exempt from sales tax. I live in KS. That means I get charged sales tax on amazon purchases, which I think stinks!!!

Actually, in Kansas we are supposed to charged everywhere, not just those places who have a presence in our state. We have a destination based sales tax. And if a vendor doesn't charge you, you are supposed to pay it on your income tax.

Ok, that makes some sense. I guess other companies are leaving it up to the buyer to pay it on their income taxes each year.

You can order from a consultant and you don't have to pay shipping. While it won't change the tax issue, it will be a savings. That's what I did. They were able to do everything for me over the phone and through email.

I'm not sure how to locate one in your state. Maybe someone else on here would know.

Thanks for letting me know. That would help. The shipping was really high--another 10% approximately. I got serious sticker shock when the lady on the phone quoted me the total. The sales tax and shipping accounted for an extra 20%! I just wasn't expecting that and hadn't budgeted for it.

But they are not counting your homeschool as a "school?"

I would just reinput my order with our school name. :lol: But we have to register our schools in my state.

I don't think I will be ordering from BJU...so don't flame me for cheating :blush:

I am apparently cheating on my taxes anyways for not paying tax on sales from vendors. I always assumed the tax was included.

Edited by Sis

But they are not counting your homeschool as a "school?"

I would just reinput my order with our school name. :lol: But we have to register our schools in my state.

I don't think I will be ordering from BJU...so don't flame me for cheating :blush:

I am apparently cheating on my taxes anyways for not paying tax on sales from vendors. I always assumed the tax was included.

In Texas I was considered a "private school" legally, but in Alabama I am enrolled as a teacher in a church school/cover school. You've got me thinking though. Seems like there was info in my cover school's paperwork that addressed this issue. There may be a way for me to order what I need through them and at least get some discounts. Maybe not at BJU... need to check into that.

I truly appreciate that BJU Press needs to be "above reproach" in everything they do. Certainly can't fault them for that.