Menu

Frozen strawberries -- what to do with them besides smoothies?

Fruit Slush

6 cups boiling water

3 cups sugar (more or less to taste)

1 – 12 ounce can frozen lemonade concentrate

1 – 12 ounce can frozen pineapple juice concentrate

1 – 12 ounce can frozen orange juice concentrate

2 - 16 ounces frozen strawberries (may substitute fresh)

4 ripe bananas

Dissolve sugar in boiling water. Puree bananas and strawberries in a blender or food processor (add a little water if needed). Combine sugar water, fruit and concentrates together in large container. Pour in to quart containers and freeze. Take out 30 minutes before serving and mash slush (may need to cut with a knife first). Add ginger ale or lemon-lime soda to desired consistency. Serve with a spoon and a straw.

Thaw and serve with waffles or pancakes.

Cook them to make jam or strawberry sauce.

Thaw, chop and make strawberry muffins.

Vanilla ice cream + strawberries=strawberry milkshake.

Just eat them frozen or thawed. We often have strawberries with breakfast. The texture of the thawed berries leaves a little something to be desired, but if we toss them with vanilla yogurt and sliced bananas, they are especially yummy.

Serve them with granola, or with granola and yogurt, or in oatmeal.

Whirl them with a balsamic vinaigrette to make a strawberry vinaigrette for green salads. Delicious with a salad with nuts and crumbled bleu or goat cheese.

:)

I pick and freeze a LOT of strawberries each summer!

Cat

I buy at least 10 lbs. of strawberries a week and we freeze most of that. I use it to make syrup for waffles or pancakes, ice cream topping, muffin flavoring, and liquados (different from a smoothie because it's basically just fruit, ice, and juice or water blended together). The other thing we do with them is just eat them frozen out of the snack bags I freeze them in as a snack. SOOOOO good!

Strawberry Granita

(Serves 4 to 6)

1-1/2 cups water

3/4 cup sugar

2 pints very ripe strawberries (or frozen strawberries)

Optional: Sweetened whipped cream

Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan.

Bring to a boil and stir to dissolve the sugar.

Cool to room temperature.

Hull and puree strawberries in a food processor.

Stir the puree into the cooled syrup

Transfer the mixture to a shallow pan and place in the freezer.

Freeze according to the instructions below.

Choose a large, shallow pan (8 x 12 x 2-inches) that allows the mixture to spread out. While you are assembling the recipe, place the empty pan and your

stirring fork in the freezer to chill. Also chill the glasses you will be using to serve the granita in later.

Pour the mixture into the pan and place in the freezer. Every 30 minutes, using a fork, stir the granita, scraping it off the bottom and sides of the pan. Break

up the frozen parts near the edges into smaller chunks and rake them toward the center. Continue to freeze and break up ice crystals until completely

frozen, about 3 hours. If at any time the granita freezes too hard, simply leave it out at room temperature for a few minutes until it softens enough to be

stirred again with a fork. Then return it to the freezer.

Check your granita mixture 20-30 minutes before serving to make sure that you can scoop the surface with a spoon. If it is too firm, let it stand at room

temperature until serving time. To serve, scrape across the top of the frozen mixture with a large spoon. Granita is usually served in chilled footed dessert

dishes, goblets, or wine glasses. For a finishing touch, top with a small cookies, berries, lemon zest, or a sprig of mint.

I like to throw a handful of thawed-out strawberries (along with some of the juice) into muffin batter (or pancakes, coffee cake, etc). They are good on cereal too. My dc like to just eat them as-is, even though they are mushy after thawing. They typically fight over who gets to drink the juice. I also like to make strawberry pie (thaw them out, add some sugar and flour and put in a crust to bake). Cobblers are good too- I love to mix strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries for this.