Menu

Sister Wives..the show...

Okay, I don't really watch this show on a regular basis, but I was watching it tonight and stepped out of the room for a second, Kody "dropped a bomb" and Robyn was all like "I didn't really think you all should know.." and the wife Christine got up and left. What the heck happend?

lol...I'm watching this for the first time tonight. Kody picked the dress, or approved it or something. He felt he should have some say. The other women wanted it to be their thing and Robyn knew that, so she didn't want the others to find out.

Shawna, this has nothing to do with tv show in question. However, I was thinking of being your avatar for Halloween! I just had to say that. :D

I think there is a lot of history behind that bomb that made it important for the women, but to us looked silly. I have a feeling it's Kody's feeling his 'youthfulness' at the new girl and doing everything differently than he did with the previous 3 and ruffling a lot of feathers along the way..while they struggle to be accepting.

And umm..no..I didn't watch the show....nu-uh.

I have ben watching this show because it fascinates me on some level......while also appalling, but to each his own. Anyway, are they some type of Mormon or do they just like the plygamous lifestyle? I don't really recall seeing anything about church or their faith.

Actually, I think it was a pretty big deal. Robyn and the other wives went dress shopping - a bonding time between wives of the same man. Ew. Anyway, later Kody announced that HE had chosen the dress with Robyn before the 'dress shopping' day. The problem is the other three wives have been together for 16 years and this new wife is coming in trying to keep secrets/ be deceitful.

I have ben watching this show because it fascinates me on some level......while also appalling, but to each his own. Anyway, are they some type of Mormon or do they just like the plygamous lifestyle? I don't really recall seeing anything about church or their faith.

The are FLDS -- which is not technically connected to the contemporary LDS church, though they share a history. The LDS church excommunicates members who engage in polygamy. They did mention their faith early on and which of the wives had grown up in the FLDS church (Meri and Christine, I think -- Kody and Janelle came to the church as young adults), but they've minimized the faith aspect overall.

The are FLDS -- which is not technically connected to the contemporary LDS church, though they share a history. The LDS church excommunicates members who engage in polygamy. They did mention their faith early on and which of the wives had grown up in the FLDS church (Meri and Christine, I think -- Kody and Janelle came to the church as young adults), but they've minimized the faith aspect overall.

I've heard that the Browns are not FLDS, but rather AUB, Apostolic United Brethren.

I do watch the shows because, as an anthropologist, I am fascinated by the interactions between the wives, the wives and Kody and the kids. I thought the dress thing was so tasteless - it was a big deal to Kristine because Kody could have cared less what she wore at their wedding, wasn't interested in any aspect of it, and here he is going dress shopping, cake tasting, reception site viewing with the new fiancee. It was also a secret between Robyn and Kody so not only did he break their secret in front of the wives he did it knowing he was going to hurt all of them.

You just have to look at Robyn to understand why there is going to be alot of animosity coming up in the future - all the current wives look very similar while Robyn doesn't; the wives all married Kody in a short span and had kids only once they were all married while Robyn has been in a monogamous relationship and then also a single-parent who has raised kids independently.

If there is a next season I anticipate alot of clashes.

We don't get the show over here and thus far I've only been able to find episode 1 online. I found it weirdly fascinating. It was kind of like a train wreck that I couldn't look away from. I find Kody really annoying. I want to smack him. He's...skeevy.

You know what I'd like to see? A polygamist marriage with one wife and multiple husbands. Now THAT would be interesting. :D

I've heard that the Browns are not FLDS, but rather AUB, Apostolic United Brethren.

I know, I know...wiki, ugh..but:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sister_wives

As a fundamentalist Mormon family, belonging to the Apostolic United Brethren Church,[13] the Browns' faith does not align with the mainstream Mormon church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostolic_United_Brethren

I watch the show, mostly because I got hooked on Big Love, and this is just a reality version of Big Love.

I was watching Big Love (an older episode because I'm catching up on the show before the new season) and a comment was made to the effect of "Living the Principle makes us (wives) bury our jealousy and become closer to God." I immediately thought of Sister Wives. Christine got jealous (rightfully so) when Kody picked the dress. Then, she came back, graciously, and handled the situation with much less violence than I would have. I know the producers are downplaying the role of faith in the family, but you can tell they adamantly believe in this lifestyle. At least the wives do. I honestly believe Kody is just a conceited, self-centered fruitcake.

I cannot look away from this show. I like my drama on TV, not in my real life. This fills my drama quota.;)

Interesting. Thanks. I'm fascinated by this. I've often said I needed another wife to cook a clean for me, but I would definitely NOT show the love of Jesus to her if she touched my dh. I guess that's just called a maid.

Interesting. Thanks. I'm fascinated by this. I've often said I needed another wife to cook a clean for me, but I would definitely NOT show the love of Jesus to her if she touched my dh. I guess that's just called a maid.

:lol::lol::lol:I'm not sure why, but this knocked over my tickle-box this morning. Hilarious! Thanks for the laugh. :lol::lol::lol:

You mean like that polyamourous relationship they showed on TV last month? One woman, two men, one baby by the second guy, whom the first is the primary cargiver. :001_huh:

Actually, that's polygamy too. Polygamy is having more than one spouse.

Polygyny is having more than one wife.

Polyandry is having more than one husband.

I watch it on demand. Am I the only one that thinks Kody is "Shaggy" from scooby-doo doing the polygamy thing?

Just thought I would throw that out there.:tongue_smilie:

heee heee... I've never watched the show, but I had to find a clip. you made me look.

yeah, he does look like Shaggy. :lol:

-crystal

I've never watched, but have seen commercials.

If there's ever a time that he's left alone with all the kids, lemme know. I'd watch that!!

As for finances, I know in some polygamy areas that all the 'non legal' wives get Welfare b/c they're technically 'single moms'. Dunno if thats the case here or not.

As for finances, I know in some polygamy areas that all the 'non legal' wives get Welfare b/c they're technically 'single moms'. Dunno if thats the case here or not.

I know at least Janelle works outside the home and I think Meri does as well. Janelle works really long hours. They've talked about that before.

They refer to Christine as "the domestic one."

Kody works in marketing.

I find the show fascinating. Kody is dorky. I'm not fond of Robyn. But I really like the other three wives. Even though their lifestyle is one that I'd never, ever choose, I think they are pretty down to earth and fairly "normal" in all other aspects.:)

I have watched a couple episodes. It's interesting, that's for sure.

I also caught them on Oprah last week.

On Oprah they said that he works and 2 of the wives work(Mary recently lost her job and will be looking). Robin said she is looking for a job. Christine stays home.

So they have three incomes. Depending on what the wives do, that could be quite the combined income.

Wolf was in sales and marketing. That can be a very unstable income, depending on exactly what Kody is doing. If he's dependent at all on commission, that can make for a roller coaster financially.

I wonder what would happen if one of the wives decided she wanted to homeschool her kids? :tongue_smilie:

I wonder what would happen if one of the wives decided she wanted to homeschool her kids? :tongue_smilie:

They said they used to homeschool until a polygamous school opened up near them. I don't think they said who did what as far as homeschooling but they have talked about Christine helping all the kids with their homework now.

I think it's Meri's daughter that currently goes to public school and talked about wanting to go to the Naval Academy in a recent episode.

They said they used to homeschool until a polygamous school opened up near them. I don't think they said who did what as far as homeschooling but they have talked about Christine helping all the kids with their homework now.

I think it's Meri's daughter that currently goes to public school and talked about wanting to go to the Naval Academy in a recent episode.

Seriously? I wonder what their curric covers...:001_huh: There's enough polygamist families in the area to have their own school?!

Then again, considering the size of the families, it probably wouldn't take too many families to fill a school...

She goes to the same school as the others. Kody said she'd have to go to Public School if she wanted to go to the Naval Academy and the daughter basically said, "No way" to PS.

She goes to the same school as the others. Kody said she'd have to go to Public School if she wanted to go to the Naval Academy and the daughter basically said, "No way" to PS.

Maybe you're right. I thought the daughter had said she wanted to go back to her "old school" because she hates public school? Then Kody told her that wouldn't work for the NA because the "old school" isn't accredited.

This is a document that details that different polygamous groups:

http://attorneygeneral.utah.gov/cmsdocuments/The_Primer.pdf

The Browns are not FLDS. FLDS are the child bride, closed community, old-fashioned polygamist group.

I thought it was kind of mean/insensitive for Robyn (her second marriage and Kody's fourth) to get a big wedding. Meri had one (the first wife), Janelle didn't (but she didn't want one), and Christine didn't (because she didn't think it was appropriate).

Kody seems immature, although he is good with the kids. I watched last night's episodes right before I fell asleep and dreamed that he had a few more wives not featured in the show. :P

I watched last night's episodes right before I fell asleep and dreamed that he had a few more wives not featured in the show. :P

LOL!! Now that's getting involved in the show ;)

Interesting to see how they divide the tasks on who works and who stays home, etc. Not sure I'd be crazy about the one out of every four nights either!

I do watch the shows because, as an anthropologist, I am fascinated by the interactions between the wives, the wives and Kody and the kids. I thought the dress thing was so tasteless - it was a big deal to Kristine because Kody could have cared less what she wore at their wedding, wasn't interested in any aspect of it, and here he is going dress shopping, cake tasting, reception site viewing with the new fiancee. It was also a secret between Robyn and Kody so not only did he break their secret in front of the wives he did it knowing he was going to hurt all of them.

You just have to look at Robyn to understand why there is going to be alot of animosity coming up in the future - all the current wives look very similar while Robyn doesn't; the wives all married Kody in a short span and had kids only once they were all married while Robyn has been in a monogamous relationship and then also a single-parent who has raised kids independently.

I get it now, this is a good point. I honestly feel like there will be a big falling out between Robyn and the other wives. I think she will leave the family at some point. I really do. It's hard because not only is she coming into a marriage of 16+ years, she is bringing in the only step kids which also opens up a new dynamic.

I also like all the wives except Robyn and I think Kody is just really immature. I find it all very interesting and I am drawn tow atching it but polygamy has always been something that interests me ever since I watched Paint Your Wagon when I was a kid.

Edited by LaissezFaire

I've only watched a couple of online clips and the guy annoys me to no end.

I agree. He seems SO selfish.

I agree. He's older, he's a different person, he realizes more what a woman needs, he's showing more care of Robyn. I don't think he realizes it. The wives definitely do. I can see how that would be extremely hurtful.

:lol: I agree, she just has to clean though, I cook.

Has anyone found the complete episodes online? I hate to admit that I am intrigued but haven't caught it on TV yet.

I haven't, but there are a lot of clips online.

http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/sister-wives/

Maybe you're right. I thought the daughter had said she wanted to go back to her "old school" because she hates public school? Then Kody told her that wouldn't work for the NA because the "old school" isn't accredited.

No, you are right. She is currently attending public school. She asked to go back to her "old school" (the polygamist school) and was told no by her dad, especially if she wanted to go to the Naval Academy.

Not sure I'd be crazy about the one out of every four nights either!

That definitely wouldn't work for me.

I get it now, this is a good point. I honestly feel like there will be a big falling out between Robyn and the other wives. I think she will leave the family at some point. I really do. It's hard because not only is she coming into a marriage of 16+ years, she is bringing in the only step kids which also opens up a new dynamic.

I'm not sure. I wonder if the other wives will leave Kody and he will stay with Robyn, especially if she has kids.

I love anthropology and I love this show for the same reasons. The interaction and the conflict between the 5 fascinates me.

Thought I could never be in a poly relationship, or agree with the faith aspect, I have to respect how they believe in it and are working so hard to abide by those beliefs.

Next season is going to be a trainwreck. Kody seems to have no selfawareness when it comes to how his actions with Robyn are seen by the other wives.

Next season is going to be a trainwreck. Kody seems to have no selfawareness when it comes to how his actions with Robyn are seen by the other wives.

:iagree: I *really* see the first three wives leaving Kody or Robyn becoming so miserable that *she* leaves Kody. He is so selfish it sickens me.

I watch it on demand. Am I the only one that thinks Kody is "Shaggy" from scooby-doo doing the polygamy thing?

Just thought I would throw that out there.:tongue_smilie:

Actually, I had a flash of Dumb and Dumber ...especially when he revealed his balding and was trying to fix his hair by shaking his head wildly. LOL

(and this was the first time we had watched the show too..agreed, interesting and appalling all at once)

Based on the discussion between Kody and his oldest daughter, it sounds like the school may be more of a drop-and-go co-op or something. What are Utah's homeschool laws like? The fact that Kody said that the kids who had gone to the school had to get GEDs to get into college makes me pause. I know there were problems with some of the church related school homeschool programs here where their diplomas weren't recognized by state licensing agencies due to lack of state accreditation, but colleges had no problem whatsoever with accepting qualified students from those schools.

I really wonder if the TLC folks pushed them into this courting and new marriage. Without Robyn, they seem a stable family with much less drama than is typical on TLC. It takes the new wife to push that button.

You know what I'd like to see? A polygamist marriage with one wife and multiple husbands. Now THAT would be interesting. :D

I did see a documentary on this once, from Tibet. Basically she cooks and cleans for all of them, but is obliged to produce a child with the eldest before, uh, reassigning, to the next brother. I think this is to reduce favoritism and give the youngest a chance to grow up.

Rosie