Menu

Do you consult your spouse about Christmas gifts for the kids?

Yes, this is us, too. Dh and I discuss any "big" gifts that we might be getting someone to see if we can fit it in the budget, what else we'll get that person (if anything) and the rest is up to me. I start picking up small things here and there at the end of summer, so usually by the time we discuss the big item(s) I have a list of stuff to share with dh so that we can even things out or whatever.

So... what did he buy that you're not complaining about? :D

We talk about various things, discuss the budget, and I do the shopping.

He does take the kids to shop for each other, and me and I often take them to pick out gifts for him and other family members. We don't shop for the kids together.

I talk to him (used to do the spreadsheet thing mentioned earlier in this thread) - he generally mumbles something - then says "whatever you think dear." I try to always show and tell him what I've purchased --still though on Christmas morning for the most part he's as surprised as the kids and remembers NOTHING we discussed. Every once in awhile he comes up with an idea - generally sports related for the boys --but for the most part he prefers to stay uninvolved.

He is another confused soul who thinks that Christmas gifts are not needed - tradition is not needed - etc. BUT then complains if there isn't "enough" under the tree or I don't make some treat that I've always made for Christmas. I LOVE him dearly though and we do what works for our family. Taking him shopping with me would probably have ended in divorce years ago:)

Oh, and Rosie, an orange in the stocking is traditional around here! :D

Do you expect gratitude for the orange? Or are oranges really scarce luxuries where you live? Or is this just for laughs? Dh's mother was expecting serious gratitude. Doing that is like putting a pb sandwich in your kid's stocking as far as we're concerned!

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

No, and on Christmas morning he is just as surprised as the kids are. We have lots of family stay with us at Christmas time, so the kids have lots of family gifts mixed in with our own gifts to the kids. I've now begun wrapping them all in a certain color wrapping paper that he can watch for so that when the kids open something he knows if it was "from Daddy & Mommy" or someone else... he has been laughed at one too many times for saying "Wow! Who gave you that!?!?" only to get the response "You did, Daddy." Now he just has to watch for that wrapping paper :lol:.

I consult him, we talk budget, but I usually research and take care of it. However, he almost always gets the kids something else on top of what I did and doesn't tell me! But last year, it was perfect. He bought this box of super-cheapie toys for the kids to open after they had finished and were feeling the letdown of having finished opening everything. There were like a 100 toys in there (and this thing was smaller than a shoebox - we're talking cereal toy type stuff - I think he told me it was only like $10 or something). EVERY SINGLE THING was wrapped. It took them FOREVER. He had totally pegged that they would love it and they did - then they played with that stuff on xmas more than they played with the nice stuff! But by the time we got home, more than half the tiny, cheapie toys had bitten the dust.

We build a massive spreadsheet together. Since we do Christmas at my family's beach condo, we have to be careful of what needs to get shipped to FL, when it needs to get shipped, does it get shipped to my parents or to the condo, or maybe we talk my folks into visiting around Thanksgiving and driving a load down for us, what needs to be shipped back home because it won't fit in the van, etc. All of that is in the spreadsheet. We both love all of the planning. I do any actual brick and mortor store shopping. He does the online shopping.

Sorry, I got carried away. To answer the original question, yes we work together on the main presents, but I pick up smaller stuff without consulting.

And to the person with the wallet and giftcards idea--I am going to use this for DS15 and his same age cousins. Thanks!

I consult him endlessly, but, uhh...he's not a lot of help, honestly. Bless his heart. This would be where I tell the story about how he gave me old beer bottles that he found in his aunt's basement the first Christmas we were together, but I won't, because he hates it when I do that. Suffice to say, present selection isn't his strong suit.

Haven't read all the replies, but here's what we usually do. The kids don't make lists, but I'm pretty good at determining what would work well gift-wise. Sometimes they'll just say that they'd really like this or that. I usually make the gift list--but I do go over it with dh. I do all the stocking stuffer shopping. I also buy the smaller gifts--cd's, books, puzzles, etc. Dh goes out and buys all the bigger items--bikes, scooters, cd players, etc.

I think this is finally going to be our Wii year. Dh has been talking about getting one for a looooong time. We resisted last year because we were saving up for our big Grand Canyon vacation.

Cinder