Menu

What picture books must a 6 yog, 3yog, and 8 yob Not under any circ. be w/o?

I'm Christmas shopping.

My soon to be 6yo is pretty much Ladybug Girl in real life, so I got her the beach one, but I need to know what else is out there in the collective hive mind.

Oh, and if there is a picture book that a horse loving 9 yog (who reads chapter books but prefers to peek over the shoulder of her mother when she reads to the younger kids) would enjoy, maybe you could share that too....but for the young children, ya know, not her, cuz' she's too mature for picture books....;)

Ages I'm looking for on Amazon tonight (and in the next couple of days): almost 8 yob, almost 6 yog, almost 4 yog, 2 yob.

Thanks ya'll.

Jo

You should check out the Five in a Row book list. We own almost every one, and they are amazing! Some of them are out of print but would still be worth looking for at amazon.

Here it is: http://fiarhq.com/fiveinarow.info/fiarbooklist.html

There are several about horses. I have a horse lover as well! Her favorite is The Wild Horse of Sweetbriar by Natalie Kingsey Warnock.

You should check out the Five in a Row book list. We own almost every one, and they are amazing! Some of them are out of print but would still be worth looking for at amazon.

Here it is: http://fiarhq.com/fiveinarow.info/fiarbooklist.html

There are several about horses. I have a horse lover as well! Her favorite is The Wild Horse of Sweetbriar by Natalie Kingsey Warnock.

:iagree: Finest Horse in Town is still one of our favorites from our FIAR days.

How to Bake and Apple Pie and See the World is also another must have. Amber on the Mountain, When I Was Young in the Mountains, The Rag Coat (will make you bawl) - There are lots of special books on that list.

Edited by TXMomof4

I love Shirley Hughes. The Alfie books and Dogger are great for younger kids, but she also has some heavily illustrated story collections aimed at a little bit older kids. They're kind of hard to find, though, at least in the US. I think one of them is Stories by Firelight. something like that.

I'd say any of the Kevin Henkes books. I just love him.

I'll second that. I especially love how he addresses kids' worries (Chester and his first-aid kit in his back pocket, "just in case," Chrysanthemum and the mean girls, etc.).

Also, anything by Maira Kalman. Especially if the kids like dogs.

Mommies say Shhhh!

My World, Goodnight Moon, Runaway Bunny (any Margaret Wise Brown)

The Little Gorilla

Tummy Girl

Mouse Mess (I've never understood it, but mine read this to shreds at about 3 yo)

Ladybug Girl, Ladybug Girl and Bumblebee Boy,

Alligator Boy

Anything my Mo Willems, esp. the Knuffle Bunny series and the Piggie and Gerald books.

Any fairy tales with gorgeous art. (Paul O Zelinsky is a favorite here)

Can't help with the 8 yob. Mine still only reads star wars and Scooby-doo. Sigh.

Edited by urpedonmommy

I like Mrs. Mungo's suggestions for the 3 yo. And I'll add the Titch books too - those were some of my lads' favorites at that age, though they've gone out of fashion and are harder to find. And the Kevin Henkes suggestion for the 6 yo. Also Mo Willems for everyone! Even though they're early readers, the Elephant and Piggie books are a good idea for all those ages - maybe as a gift to the 8 yo, who could read them to the youngers?

Also for the 8 yo, maybe The Eleventh Hour by Graeme Base. Or The Stinky Cheese Man or The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs. I did a blog post after the NY Times article slandered picture books about picture books for older kids and I included those on my list. Also, as someone else said, you might check out the FIAR lists for books that have more length and depth for that age.

For horsey titles, maybe the Billy and Blaze books? I loved these when I was little. They're sort of boy books, but very horsey.

Picture books is such a big area. The OP must already have many of these that people are suggesting?

Your older ones might like the Tin-tin series.

They come in different volumes or you can buy them separately in a larger format. My 6yo and 9yo dds LOVE these stories. They aren't really true picture books but are done in a comic book style. Lots of adventures and excitement. My 9yo was a very reluctant reader before we read any of these and now she will read for pleasure. Yay for Tin-tin!

Curious George (1941)

Curious George Takes a Job (1947)

Curious George Rides a Bike (1952)

Curious George Gets a Medal (1957)

Curious George Flies a Kite (1958)

Curious George Learns the Alphabet (1963)

Curious George Goes to the Hospital (1966)

But NOT any of the newer ones, because they're just plain silly. :D

We also like Mem Fox books here. Wilfred Gordon McDonald Partridge and The Magic Hat are popular with my kids.

The Little Island by Margaret Wise Brown is also another good one that often gets overlooked.

I agree with checking the FIAR lists. Those books are faboulous, and my boys have loved them all.

eta: When I mentioned this to ds (7.5), he said The Raft by Jim LaMarche and all the Holling C. Holling books (although those are bigger picture books).

Edited by jenL

It's been awhile since we were in the picture book stage, but here are the ones the stand out in my memory:

The Story of Ping

Make Way for Ducklings

Madeline

10 Minutes 'Til Bedtime

Rabbits & Raindrops (and others by Jim Arnosky)

all the Richard Scarry books

Magic Schoolbus books

Caps for Sale

Curious George

Harold and the Purple Crayon

Lyle, Lyle Crocodile

Wendi