Menu

which ebook readers are best for PDF ebooks

Hi

I keep finding all these awesome free ebooks that I would like to use with my lessons. They are from google books or recommended from other sites. The majority of them are PDF format. Which ebook readers reads PDF the best, or to your satisfaction? Also, when you have a PDF version, can you flip the pages by touch? If your reader does not read PDF to your satisfaction, why? Does it allow you to zoom in or out?

Thanks!

Vicki

Hi

I keep finding all these awesome free ebooks that I would like to use with my lessons. They are from google books or recommended from other sites. The majority of them are PDF format. Which ebook readers reads PDF the best, or to your satisfaction? Also, when you have a PDF version, can you flip the pages by touch? If your reader does not read PDF to your satisfaction, why? Does it allow you to zoom in or out?

Thanks!

Vicki

We've found that a large-screen reader is best with pdf files. You definitely don't want a small Kindle, and even the readers that reflow pdf files still end up with some weird formatting. Our library is almost entirely digital and we use an iPad for color pdfs and a Kindle dx for black and white. My Sony Reader 600 (650 is the current model) can handle the pdfs fairly well, but I'm much happier using a larger screen. You can use the touchscreen to turn pages with a pdf if the device comes with a touchscreen.

If you don't want to get a large reader or an iPad, I recommend a Sony reader because they handle zooming and reflow better, in my experience, than other readers. Like I said, I don't recommend the Kindle for this at all, and it would be worth stopping at a B&N to see if a Nook will do what you need it to do. You might also do a search on the mobileread forums to find out what people there suggest.

when you say LARGE e-reader, what size does that include? 9" and up? I know the smallest ones are 6". Do the smaller ones make it harder to read the PDF files?

I think I read somewhere that 'I believe' the Kindle wasn't compatible with some library e-books, so the Kindle is out for me just because of that.

Thanks for the forum linky.

when you say LARGE e-reader, what size does that include? 9" and up? I know the smallest ones are 6". Do the smaller ones make it harder to read the PDF files?

I think I read somewhere that 'I believe' the Kindle wasn't compatible with some library e-books, so the Kindle is out for me just because of that.

Thanks for the forum linky.

Yes, that includes 9" and up. The 6" screens usually make it difficult to read pdf files even if they can reflow the text and make it larger. That being said, I have read many pdf books on my 6" Sony and I think it's a good option if a larger reader is too expensive, or you might look at a Sony 950 because it's at least $100 cheaper than a dx or iPad, although it just has a 7" screen. If we hadn't completely digitalized our library, we would have stayed with our smaller Sony readers.