Menu

Where to go for a vacation for just DH & me

Great ideas! I like the idea of the adults only place. Last time we went to yellowstone, we stayed in the cabins in Mammoth. A ground hog type creature burrowed under our steps and a child was outside banging on the steps to get him to come out. At 7 AM

We can fly, and we want to stay in this hemisphere :) We've checked the budget and Alaska and Hawaii are probably out. Bahamas are not a bad idea. I prefer cool, low humidity and wildlife, but I also prefer quiet and romantic. We would go in either May or September (during the traditional schoolyear) as the crowds are MUCH less.

More ideas are welcome!

I know you said cool and low humidity, but my husband and I are going on our first big trip without kids the week before Thanksgiving so I had to share my trip excitement.

We ended up choosing Hollywood, Florida. My husband wanted access to watersports, but without the craziness of being in Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. We got a non-stop flight on Spirit Air to Fort Lauderdale (20 minute drive to Hollywood) and 5 nights at the Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa for $698! The rooms at the Westin normally start at $175 a night so we got a rockin' good deal.

No matter what you do, I recommend checking out the rates on Hotwire.com and then using Betterbidding.com to figure out which hotel it is. I still need to get back on Hotwire to get a rental car.

Have fun on your trip no matter what you choose!

P.S. How about Cape Cod, Newport, R.I., or Bar Harbor, ME? All beautiful spots!

Great ideas! I like the idea of the adults only place. Last time we went to yellowstone, we stayed in the cabins in Mammoth. A ground hog type creature burrowed under our steps and a child was outside banging on the steps to get him to come out. At 7 AM

We can fly, and we want to stay in this hemisphere :) We've checked the budget and Alaska and Hawaii are probably out. Bahamas are not a bad idea. I prefer cool, low humidity and wildlife, but I also prefer quiet and romantic. We would go in either May or September (during the traditional schoolyear) as the crowds are MUCH less.

More ideas are welcome!

Vermont is really lovely in September. It's still pretty iffy in May.

If you're considering the Bahamas, I would also consider Mexico or Costa Rica. They would be cheaper once you got on the ground and are both fantastic places to travel. You can't beat the wildlife of Costa Rica short of visiting the Amazon.

I agree with everyone that Banff is gorgeous. We went their on our honeymoon. If you want something with a totally different look, how about Acadia National Park in Maine. You get mountains going down to the rocky coast of Maine with crashing ocean waves. Granted the mountains aren't huge but the scenery more than makes up for it. You can hike for miles, swim in the ocean, ride your bike on the carriage roads or take a ride in a horse drawn carriage on them, go out on a schooner at sunset. Can you tell I love this park. There are also many beautiful towns along the coast to explore.

We have some friends who went to Glacier National Park this summer and it sounds beautiful! I'd go there in a heartbeat.

If you're looking for something maybe...a little more civilized...what about Vancouver? Much as I like seeing the world with the boy, Vancouver is a city I wouldn't mind exploring as a grown-up, doing grown-up things. And if you'd like things a little more low-key, Whistler is nice. It should be cool, but little snow yet and there are lots of outdoor activities. You can be pampered. And I wouldn't think it would be real crowded yet.

I second Acadia! Dh and I had a great week there (many years ago now). We stayed at a B&B in Bar Harbor. Don't go mid to late-Oct like we did, though. Cold!

We have also gone camping in the Smokies. We were much younger then also. Great hiking. Had a close encounter with a bear. Memories!

Cinder

We go up to the Boone area every couple of years. In Sept the weather is wonderful. The leaves haven't started changing but the views are spectacular. There are plenty of cabins to rent out. We spent some time sightseeing ie: Grandfather Montain, Blowing Rock, Linville Falls etc. The best time we have is when we get on the Blue Ridge Parkway and just start driving. There are many overlooks and lots of trails to walk and some beautiful waterfalls.

We've also gone to Asheville and seen Biltmore Manor. We still stayed near the Blue Ridge Parkway and stopped at a cute old fashioned music museum and went up to Mt Mitchell which is the tallest mountain on the east coast. If you can put your trip off until October the trees changing their colors are beautiful.

We like the are for the peace and quiet you get. The scenery is breathtaking and there are plenty of places to stay that are off the beaten path. I don't think I've been anywhere that comes close to the Blue Ridge Parkway

The Sedona area, here in AZ, is beautiful. It's close to Flagstaff. The Grand Canyon is within a couple hours' drive. Phoenix is two hours away.

I've got my eye on some romantic little cabins in Oak Creek (right near Sedona) for whenever dh and I can get away. Fall would be gorgeous!

Wendi