Menu

S/O grammar-isn't R+S English a lot of review if you do every year?

HappyGrace

So do you do every year or alternate years, or what?

Yes, it's a lot of grammar. But it's a lot of writing and learning to use reference materials and whatnot, too.

And one more question-how is the retention with R+S? I'm worried to switch from CLE, with all the spiral review that keeps older topics fresh!

"Rentention" comes over time, with lots of repetition, building on what has been previously taught, and usage. R&S does plenty of that.

So do you do every year or alternate years, or what?

And one more question-how is the retention with R+S? I'm worried to switch from CLE, with all the spiral review that keeps older topics fresh!

Thanks!

It's the repetition/review every year in R&S which aids in retention! We plan to use it every year, but we're only beginning with the first level. I'll leave it to others with more experience to chime in. :)

I wanted to note that my son is very gifted in language arts, too. And I would never skip. It really doesn't feel like repetition. They are always adding another dimension to it. If you were just to look at the contents, it LOOKS like it is just repeating the same thing. But look at the actual lessons, they get more complex at each level.

Okay, this makes sense-the repetition is what makes the review. It is like spiraling year to year rather than within the year. I'm also relieved to know that it is NOT like the table of contents appears to be, that they are adding another dimension to it each time.

I know it is a solid and time-tested program. Also it is JUST grammar, which would be a better fit for us than crossing out most of CLE LA. Thank you so very much!

We found the retention to be very poor. We did levels 5 - 7. My daughter did very well on the exercises every day but her true understanding of grammar was not great. When it came time to apply the work in other situations she wasn't nearly as capable as you would expect for so much time and work devoted to it. We moved to Analytical Grammar (she also does Latin and Classical Writing) and have never looked back. Last week she took the PSAT for the first time (10th grade) and said that the grammar stuff was so easy.

Heather

I'd say, if I were going to use R&S, I'd start w/ 3 (at the appropriate age), I would be comfy going from 4--6 (skipping 5) and then no more skipping ;)

I also agree that the oral review is KEY to retention. I found clearly that if I skipped that, retention dropped significantly.

I also found that although they really knew grammar, mine never really applied it in writing via R&S. I had to really point it out to them, then they could "see" it.

R&S is a good, solid, time tested option and although you know where my heart lies ;) since I did use a great deal of the program, I can attest to its effectiveness.

I wanted to note that my son is very gifted in language arts, too. And I would never skip. It really doesn't feel like repetition. They are always adding another dimension to it. If you were just to look at the contents, it LOOKS like it is just repeating the same thing. But look at the actual lessons, they get more complex at each level.

I agree; it gets more complex each year, even though the topic is somewhat similar. I've really never seen another program, grammar or anything else, that seems so well-designed in that regard.

The retention does come from the repetition, as pp said. We do write out the lessons, so I have no idea if it is retained if done orally, but I know my dc have retained the grammar they learned in R&S. If you do it with them, using the TM or even just reading the lessons and keeping up, you can also integrate the concepts into their writing instruction, literature study, and life in general (catching mistakes on national park signs on vacation, for example :D,) which aids retention.