Menu

Who else is dealing with night blindness?

I had no idea how bad mine was until this week! I had the opportunity to do some out of city highway driving after sunset. Holy cow - slamming on my breaks for...a tire mark on the road (that I thought was an animal), a mailbox (but it really looked like a deer!), or a lump of grass on the side of the road (so totally sure it would dart out into the road). :001_huh::001_huh::confused:

Do vitamin A supps help? How much? Something else? Anything?

Egads.

i have a hard time driving in the dark - even with my glasses. i don't NEED the glasses - ie, i passed the vision test for my province without them - but i wear them in the dark because otherwise it's just horrid.

haven't got much choice though, so i just do it. slowly. with fingers crossed. :tongue_smilie:

I never heard about special glasses. I have worn glasses since before I began driving and still have a problem.

Everything I find referencing "night glasses" or "night vision glasses is suggesting talking to the optician - apparently they know more about this. I wear glasses normally, and when I think of "night vision glasses" I'm picturing something like the goggles they wear in the Field, lol.

I have the same problem.

I wear contacts. I replaced my headlights with the HID type light.(They are kind of bluish) it really helped.

If I wear my glasses, I had them coated so it cuts down on all the glare.

Not sure on the Vitamin A.

But my saying of "blind as bat" rings some truth to it for me:lol:

What causes night blindness?

Night blindness is due to a disorder of the cells in the retina that are responsible for vision in dim light. It has many causes, including:

* Myopia

* Glaucoma medications that work by constricting the pupil

* Cataracts

* Retinitis pigmentosa

* Vitamin A deficiency

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/night_blindness/hic_night_blindness.aspx

My uncle had his cataracts removed and his night blindness disappeared entirely.

I've had it for years. I already have glasses with lenses which are coated to reduce glare, nothing helps. Now I don't drive at night or at dusk or right after dawn because it is too dangerous.

of night blindness as you get older because the cells in your eyes that adjust for light begin to die. I started having trouble about 6 years ago. I have always worn glasses so have always had problem with glare even though my glasses are treated for glare. It is very hard for me when it's night and raining. I've gotten where I really hate to drive at night. Going on a road I know is not as bad but I have found that I now watch the white line to make sure I'm driving okay. If the white line is faded I have a hard time especially if there is a curve or an intersection. Thankfully my husband loves driving and so far he doesn't have any problems with it but even he doesn't like me to drive at night anymore.

I've had a problem with driving at night for many years. A dr. told me a few years ago that a policeman told him to try turning on his interior lights when he needed to see turns and such and it helped. I tried it and it does help me. Obviously I don't use it for long distances but it is very helpful when running nearby errands at night. I've also had so called "night vision" glasses and they didn't really help at all.

I have had trouble with driving at night for decades - I, too, will only make short trips on well-known routes on local roads (to get dd to and from martial arts class, for example, or to drug store for a prescription.) This Thursday I am driving dd to the Twin Cites for a college visit Friday - we are leaving early enough so I can get through traffic there and find the motel well before dark!!!

My biggest problem is if I am facing a few traffic lights in a row, I can NOT tell which one is closest to me until I am practically in the intersection (depth problem). And on-coming headlights, regular ones, not even brights, blind me.

I've had night blindness for last 15 years and each year it gets a little worse. As others have said, even the anti-glare coating on the glasses doesn't help anymore. This year, I had to move into a tri-focal so I am in a progressive lens. Holy cow, I nearly wreck my van the first time I was out after dark with the new glasses. Talked to the doctor and he said there was nothing left to do. Either don't drive at night or stay on well lit roads. Easier said than done.

I'm dealing with this, too. I wanted to have corrective eye surgery when I turned 50, but I've been told it can make night blindness very bad, so I'm hesitant now....

It does change the optics of your eye, even as it corrects the other vision problems. I had Lasik about 10 years ago and went from having really good night vision to mediocre night vision. Whatever you currently have will probably get worse, so if your night vision is bad at the moment, I would recommend against corrective surgery.