Menu

I'm loathing Calvert's Math's TM, but dds like it, what to do?

mia78

We've been doing Calvert Math for two years. It's getting more advanced now and I'm finding a lot more difficulty following the TM to help my dds get the more advanced concepts. It's something about the layout that just makes me mind do a literal eyeroll and it's driving me batty! I'm considering switching, but I don't want to since the girls like it. I feel like I'm forcing myself to go with it just for them, but its not helping me help them. I just don't know what to do about it.

Does anyone have any advice?

My girls switched easily from Calvert to Horizons.

I didn't care for the layout of the TM, either. Too much bundled into a couple short paragraphs. Horizons does a much better job of explaining and separating everything.

You would probably want to do a placement test first, since I hear that Horizons is a little more advanced. I chose it because I thought would be easier than the other maths I was choosing from.

The workbook style is similar, but there are usually more problems per page than with Calvert.

How old are they? Are you okay with using a program that isn't tied to a school? It might be that your dds would feel okay with a switch if they saw some programs. There are some good math suggestions on this board, but their age/grades could make a difference. Are you looking for something more teacher intensive? more student directed? full of hands-on manipulatives? does color on the pages make a difference? are they on the same grade level? would you like something that has a DVD component?

How old are they? Are you okay with using a program that isn't tied to a school? It might be that your dds would feel okay with a switch if they saw some programs. There are some good math suggestions on this board, but their age/grades could make a difference. Are you looking for something more teacher intensive? more student directed? full of hands-on manipulatives? does color on the pages make a difference? are they on the same grade level? would you like something that has a DVD component?

The girls are 9 and 10, but they are a grade level behind. Yes, they definitely feel okay to voice their opinions on what they want. I'm not sure if the color makes a difference. I think student directed would be good.

Is Calvert Math considered more teacher or student directed?

I think student directed would be good for my girls because they seem to (especially the 9 y/o) want to get it done once they've got it and they don't want me interfering.

Manipulatives don't seem to need to be a great focus for curriculum. BTDT with MUS and don't care for the video aspect.

The girls are 9 and 10, but they are a grade level behind. Yes, they definitely feel okay to voice their opinions on what they want. I'm not sure if the color makes a difference. I think student directed would be good.

Is Calvert Math considered more teacher or student directed?

I think student directed would be good for my girls because they seem to (especially the 9 y/o) want to get it done once they've got it and they don't want me interfering.

Manipulatives don't seem to need to be a great focus for curriculum. BTDT with MUS and don't care for the video aspect.

Lifepacs are student directed. They are made by the same company as Horizons. I am looking at the Lifepacs, now since my kids want to just get up and at them, but I don't want to stray from Horizons.

Do you really need to use the teacher's manual? Or can you use the textbook to explain the concepts.

We've been using Calvert Math for 5 years after using Saxon in the very early years. I rarely if ever utilize the teacher's manual explanations. I glance at the explanation quickly, then summarize in my own words if I feel the info is important. Many times, it is just a longer way of explaining the "lesson portion" in the text that precedes the exercises. Many days my children have done their math prior to us meeting to discuss it. They just read the lesson in the text and study the examples if needed.

I know Calvert Math sometimes gets a bad rap. But it has been fantastic for my dc. They have NO problems understanding the lessons and they are interesting, practical, real-life applications in each lesson.

And, well, I need to mention that when I gave ds a placement test early in the year, he tested out of 8th grade math. :) So he went from Calvert 7 math directly to another Algebra I. No problems there, either. So it prepared him extremely well and dd is tracking along the same path now.