Menu

Logic

AllBoys

I have Critical Thinking, 1 and 2, and also The Thinking Toolbox and The Fallacy Detective. Can anyone who has used these tell me what I should start with and/or what you liked or disliked about them? I am not sure what to use or in what order. Thanks!

Not sure if your using the DVD version or the book, but I have Critical Thinking2 (DVD version) for my 10yo. If it was too difficult I was going to go down to CT1 but it's been fine so far. At first I didn't like it on the computer, the way they made him answer questions was by clicking on the right answer as they were scrolling across the screen - very frustrating for him if he missed and had to wait for them to come around again. But it's better now (no more scrolling answers) and he enjoys it. I let him do it for 45"- 1 hour 2-3 times per week. I haven't tried any of the other programs you mentioned and I've never looked at the books, but they are supposed to have the same questions/problems. I like this one enough that I'm going to look into an easier version for my 6yo.

I am also using MindBenders for logic - but he (10yo) is going through those so fast he'll be done soon.

I had purchased CT1 and CT2 because my oldest completed Building Thinking Skills 2 & 3 last year. Whoa NELLY it was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much for him. I took one look and put them in my "to sell" pile.

He is working through The Fallacy Detective right now, and I'll have him do The Thinking Toolbox next. I don't think it matters what order you do those in. He has some receptive language problems, so sometimes he struggles to understand what they are saying (particularly some of their examples), but I know that's a language issue, not a problem with the book itself.

Not sure if your using the DVD version or the book, but I have Critical Thinking2 (DVD version) for my 10yo. If it was too difficult I was going to go down to CT1 but it's been fine so far. At first I didn't like it on the computer, the way they made him answer questions was by clicking on the right answer as they were scrolling across the screen - very frustrating for him if he missed and had to wait for them to come around again. But it's better now (no more scrolling answers) and he enjoys it. I let him do it for 45"- 1 hour 2-3 times per week. I haven't tried any of the other programs you mentioned and I've never looked at the books, but they are supposed to have the same questions/problems. I like this one enough that I'm going to look into an easier version for my 6yo.

I am also using MindBenders for logic - but he (10yo) is going through those so fast he'll be done soon.

I'm wondering if you are referring to Building Thinking Skills rather than Critical Thinking?

I have Critical Thinking, 1 and 2, and also The Thinking Toolbox and The Fallacy Detective. Can anyone who has used these tell me what I should start with and/or what you liked or disliked about them? I am not sure what to use or in what order. Thanks!

We have used the Critical Thinking Books starting in 7th grade (still finishing up Book 2 now in 8th grade.) I haven't used the others mentioned.

We've had a pretty positive experience, although we skipped the "if then q" chapters. There's plenty of discussion on the K-8 board if you do a title search.