Menu

I finished the Detroit Half MArathon this morning!!!

WOW! Congratulations! Good for you! That's the best feeling!!!!

I've got 2 half marathons coming up over the next few months. I'm not a very fast runner, but simply finishing them is exciting enough for me. It's something my sisters and I started together, and it's really wonderful!

My *hope* is to complete a full marathon next year for my 40th. This seems completely impossible to me, as a half marathon is really hard for me. But it is a goal I'd like to achieve just the same. I don't plan to run the entire way or anything, but if I can manage to drag my body across the finish line, I will be one happy woman!!!

:party:

Congrats! What an accomplishment! I should have been watching the freep.com live video feed of the finish line for you :D.

I wish I'd watched the live feed!!! I finished right before the WINNER of the men's full marathon! But, I ran the half. And, get this - the winner of the men's marathon just started running distance TWO months ago! His longest run was 20 miles!

Yayyy!!! Good job! And wow - your sister is fast!

Thanks! I know! My sister always has been a good athlete.

WOW! Congratulations! Good for you! That's the best feeling!!!!

I've got 2 half marathons coming up over the next few months. I'm not a very fast runner, but simply finishing them is exciting enough for me. It's something my sisters and I started together, and it's really wonderful!

My *hope* is to complete a full marathon next year for my 40th. This seems completely impossible to me, as a half marathon is really hard for me. But it is a goal I'd like to achieve just the same. I don't plan to run the entire way or anything, but if I can manage to drag my body across the finish line, I will be one happy woman!!!

Thanks! Isn't it fun?! Do you run the races with your sister?

I feel the same way about a full. I'm currently signed up for the Disney full and I'm terrified. The halves I've run have been SO hard emotionally for me. Physically, I'm fine. But, I just hate the doubt and questioning I do to myself during the race! When is your marathon?

:party:

Congratulations!

Thanks!!!!

That is so awesome! I was thinking of all the runners yesterday when we were on a Model T tour that drove through Indian Village and we saw all the no parking signs posted.

Good for you and your sister! I have no personal desire to run a marathon, but I admire all who undertake the challenge. :001_smile:

Thanks! Isn't it fun?! Do you run the races with your sister?

I feel the same way about a full. I'm currently signed up for the Disney full and I'm terrified. The halves I've run have been SO hard emotionally for me. Physically, I'm fine. But, I just hate the doubt and questioning I do to myself during the race! When is your marathon?

Thanks!!!!

yes, i have 2 sisters and we run races together. (well, i have 3 sister, but 2 that run with me). my one sister is a great athlete. my other sister simply survives the race & is thrilled to just finish the thing (like me!:D). it is a lot of fun for us! for my 40th, i plan to run the ING in atlanta. this march, i'll do the ING half again & then the following march is when i'll run the full <<<gulp>>>. i honestly can't imagine slowly walking 26 miles in a day's journey, lol. so finishing that will be a really big accomplishment for me.

I was in Windsor (we have a weekend home there) and was headed to the Timmy's by the tunnel for coffee this morning when I saw all the runners headed into the tunnel. I thought, hey, Jennifer in MI's running the half! So, even though I only know you from here, it was kind of cool knowing I "knew" someone in the crowd. :)

That is so awesome! I was thinking of all the runners yesterday when we were on a Model T tour that drove through Indian Village and we saw all the no parking signs posted.

Good for you and your sister! I have no personal desire to run a marathon, but I admire all who undertake the challenge. :001_smile:

Thanks! I didn't have any desire to run a half either. Until I started running a few years ago. Now, I get the obsession and can't wait for my next race.

yes, i have 2 sisters and we run races together. (well, i have 3 sister, but 2 that run with me). my one sister is a great athlete. my other sister simply survives the race & is thrilled to just finish the thing (like me!:D). it is a lot of fun for us! for my 40th, i plan to run the ING in atlanta. this march, i'll do the ING half again & then the following march is when i'll run the full <<<gulp>>>. i honestly can't imagine slowly walking 26 miles in a day's journey, lol. so finishing that will be a really big accomplishment for me.

That's so cool!! It helps to have running partners. I know when I'd have a long run, I'd call my sister to see how her run went and it helped me.

I was in Windsor (we have a weekend home there) and was headed to the Timmy's by the tunnel for coffee this morning when I saw all the runners headed into the tunnel. I thought, hey, Jennifer in MI's running the half! So, even though I only know you from here, it was kind of cool knowing I "knew" someone in the crowd. :)

Last year Tom Horton's was handing out coffee and donuts at the 6 mile mark. This year they didn't. Bummer!! (Not that I'd have taken any - I can't imagine eating donuts on a long run!) Did you stay and watch any of the runners? That was a scary part of the race - that tunnel is LONG and HOT!!!! But, the first half is downhill and I felt VERY fast. It was the second half that killed me!!!

She posted on Facebook this morning that she finished the same marathon.

GO YOU!! (and her!!)

Cool! Now I want to know which one she is too!

Fantastic! Way to Go :hurray: I turned 40 this year and just started running...it's never too late. I have my first 1/2 marathon coming up in Feb, hope I do as well as you!

Awesome!!! You'll love it! Well, actually, you might not love the actual race. You'll love the finish! And, the medal. :lol: Which half is it?

Good work!

What negative thoughts? Just have fun!!!

Negative thoughts hit me around mile 9. I've always had an issue with self-doubt and when I go on a long run, I really have to work hard to get those thoughts out of my head. Things like, "You really have no business being here. You'll never finish. Just quit now. What if your heart gives out? What is that cramp in my leg? Could it be a blood clot. You really should just quit now." Those kinds of things. It's not fun!!! But, then I finish and I feel GREAT!!!!

Idk if she would have a reason to use a different name. Super short brown hair right now.

I don't know a weather girl named Leslie. Bethany? Do you know who this is?

Coming in late to say Way To Go!!!:D

How do you change your training for the Disney (full) run? Just run more?

Thanks.

I'm actually using a marathon training plan and I tweaked it a bit so that my 13 mile run was this weekend. 26 will be in January. So, yes, in a way, just run more!! My midweek runs are from 4 − 6 miles. Weekend runs increase to 23 before the race. With how I feel today, I don't see how I could possibly double what I ran yesterday!!

Good for you, Jennifer!! That's awesome!

And here I was feeling excited that while at the track a few days ago, I jogged a VERY short distance lol.

You SHOULD feel awesome!!! Those first runs are hard. Just three years ago, I couldn't even run 1/4 mile. And, that was HARD! Keep it up!!!