Menu

Help weaning 6yo from foods w/ dyes/preservatives, etc.

My ds6 has undiagnosed Aspergers. We ARE going to get a formal diagnosis once the baby is born (any day now!) and go from there b/c he probably has a myriad of other "issues" as well. I've noticed a connection recently btwn. amt. of sugary foods consumed and foods w/ dyes/colorings consumed and his meltdowns. Seems that after he's had large amounts of sugar or consumed food w/ dyes/colorings he is more "volatile". For instance...he had a snocone last night and this morning and all of today he was extremely defiant, threw major tantrums, screaming fits, etc. So, today, ds6 and I had a discussion about some dietary changes. He is NOT happy with change nor is happy about giving up some of his "favorite" foods/cereals (most of which have some sort of dye in it...doesn't everything these days? :glare:). How do you do this w/ a 6yo? How do you make the child understand it's for his health and well-being and NOT some sort of punishment (which he thinks!). I tried to explain it's like his sister who suffers from peanut allergies and cannot have peanut products, while he can. Not a punishment for her...just a fact of her life.

Summer is coming and we all love our snowballs here in MD/PA! Lots of food coloring in those suckers! There is one place that has a clear cherry flavor but ds6 feels punished b/c he can't choose any flavor like the rest of his sibs. I suppose we just have to cut out the snowballs...but THAT is like punishing everybody else. I'm so frustrated. Does anybody have any advice for how to wean/change these dietary habits? TIA!

We recently did this as well. I just made it a family affair. "No one" was having any of it. If dh wanted something, he had it secretly. My kids weren't thrilled either, but we just stopped buying it, cold-turkey. They once in a while pitch a fit in the store about cereal, but if I didn't have them with me in the store and just brought home the "bland" cereal, they wouldn't say anything. KWIM? Out of sight, out of mind kind of thing.

I can tell a big difference in how my boys behave when they eat a certain cookie my dd likes to make (the no-bake chocolate oatmeal cookies). They have a TON of sugar in them and it seems the boys fly off the walls afterward.

We never did a whole lot of dye to begin with so I can't dramatically testify to that, but I think you're on the right track with it.

What would happen if you just didn't bring it home anymore? How would your ds respond if you showed him what cereals were available in the cupboard?

My feeling with the no-dye/lower sugar was that if the entire family did it, no one would feel punished or "different". I have a 9yo ds that may be Aspergers as well. He would definitely feel slighted and would go on and on and on about it if I didn't allow him, but allowed the others.

My dh is a bit slow getting the "hint" b/c he still buys the cereals w/ food coloring. :glare: I real labels on everything...did you know that even Corn Flakes has food coloring! :001_huh: I try to buy as healthy as I can...organic, lots of fruits/veggies, not a ton of processed foods, etc. It's the occasional "treats" that I'm more concerned about. Ice cream truck comes...ds6 wants the TMNT green ice cream :glare: or the colored snocones, etc. My other dc get to choose what they want, he does feel left out. Now, this isn't any everyday thing, obviously, but we will have to deal with this sometime this summer. I hear you on banning it for everyone. We've done that with daily eating. It's just those occasional times when we are face-to-face with the situation, KWIM? Thanks for your suggestions!

My ds6 has undiagnosed Aspergers. We ARE going to get a formal diagnosis once the baby is born (any day now!) and go from there b/c he probably has a myriad of other "issues" as well. I've noticed a connection recently btwn. amt. of sugary foods consumed and foods w/ dyes/colorings consumed and his meltdowns. Seems that after he's had large amounts of sugar or consumed food w/ dyes/colorings he is more "volatile". For instance...he had a snocone last night and this morning and all of today he was extremely defiant, threw major tantrums, screaming fits, etc. So, today, ds6 and I had a discussion about some dietary changes. He is NOT happy with change nor is happy about giving up some of his "favorite" foods/cereals (most of which have some sort of dye in it...doesn't everything these days? :glare:). How do you do this w/ a 6yo? How do you make the child understand it's for his health and well-being and NOT some sort of punishment (which he thinks!). I tried to explain it's like his sister who suffers from peanut allergies and cannot have peanut products, while he can. Not a punishment for her...just a fact of her life.

Summer is coming and we all love our snowballs here in MD/PA! Lots of food coloring in those suckers! There is one place that has a clear cherry flavor but ds6 feels punished b/c he can't choose any flavor like the rest of his sibs. I suppose we just have to cut out the snowballs...but THAT is like punishing everybody else. I'm so frustrated. Does anybody have any advice for how to wean/change these dietary habits? TIA!

We put dd 8 on a GFCF diet after Halloween because I saw SUCH a difference in her behavior right after she ate all that candy it was unbelievable. I had read about GFCF and just thought what the heck, it could only be an improvement upon what she was currently eating. She did well, but of course, complained because of others in the house eating "goodies" she couldn't have. To boot, my hubby and I and 11 yo dd don't like to eat much meat. This makes GFCF HARD. :sad:

I've know thought that perhaps I jumped the gun with GFCF because as I started cutting out dyes and sugar along with going GFCF, I notice a bigger difference in her meltdowns decreasing than just being GFCF--and GFCF did really help. I've wondered whether I should have tried an elimination diet first. But that's another story...

In any case, with regard to your question, what I have decided for us is that this small person of mine who has so many challenges really doesn't need the additional challenge of having to cope with watching the rest of us eat stuff she can't eat. Obviously, if she goes someplace, it can't be avoided, but I feel like as a family, we owe it to her to help her. DD 11 is obviously miserable about no more popsicles in the house or high sugar things or colors. BUT all that stuff isn't good for her, or any of us, anyway and I do remind dd 11 of that. I feel it is a valuable lesson for my 11 yo to learn that she needs to make adjustments/sacrifices for her dear sister. We all need to work together to do what's best for dd 8 because she needs our help, and we are her family. It's true that my child has issues with food and that will be a fact of life for her, but I feel like at this point in her life, we need to help her, not make her more frustrated. Life will present plenty of challenges to this dear child of mine as she grows up, and I don't want her to have to deal with it right now in our home. I'm sure as she grows up, she'll be able to better cope with seeing sis eat something she can't, but now, it's just too hard for her, and frankly, I can't blame her.

But believe me, I feel your pain!!!!

Anita

We started a gluten free/casein free diet back in January but with that we started being absolutely militant about cutting out dyes and preservatives as well. We were pretty good before but now we allow none of those things whatsoever in our diet. We have done this as a family to make it easier on our 6yo son (who also has undiagnosed Aspergers, most likely).

I have searched and searched and found so many fun alternatives that it hasn't seemed bad for him. We make homemade grenadine (Check out how to do it on this blog!) You could essentially do the same thing with any 100% juice, too. Just take the homemade syrup to the snow cone stand with you, buy the ice only and add your own syrup! It's those types of things that have allowed us to be successful - that and I have completely brainwashed my ds that all things homemade are always better than storebought! ;) Wed night our church gives out lollipops to the kids as they leave the preschool area. I found an organic/dye-free lollipop that my kids love and I keep those in the diaper bag for those nights.

We have learned how to make our own homemade sprites and reeses peanut butter cups, too! We make homemade sorbet and almond milk icecream so we can enjoy our favorite peanut butter milk shakes!

I know you are just about to have a new baby (saw that on the general board and congratulations, too!) so take it slowly for sure. Don't overwhelm yourself. It can be done and the results are so very worth it. I feel great about how I am feeding our family and my kids truly don't miss anything - most of the time anyway. :001_smile:

Btw, our favorite dye free cereals are from the Envirokids line. My kids love the Peanut Butter Panda Puffs and the Koala Krispies (their version of cocoa krispies). If you want to avoid peanut butter in your home due to the peanut alllergy then the gorilla munch is great, too. I mix it with nuts and a few mini-chocolate chips for a healthy snack mix.

Good luck with this endeavor and with your newest blessing as well!

We just don't buy it. Get everyone on board. Even with some non-aspergers kids, dyes can cause terrible tantrums and what I call "bouncing off the walls" behavior, as can other preservatives and additives. Even with my older kids, if I find out that something we are accustomed to eating has an objectionable additive, I just don't buy it anymore. When they ask about it at home, I just say "oh, we don't eat that anymore because it's not good for our bodies"

I have never bought sweet cereals, but my kids know that when we're in the supermarket and they want a "kids" cereal, they have to pick it from the natural/organic food section where stuff isn't laden with so many chemicals.

None of that stuff is good for anyone and getting the whole family to change their eating habits will benefit everyone.

I do have one child that is particularly sensitive to red/orange dye. When she was about 3, my husband would take her to McD's about once a month for a happy meal as a treat just for the two of them. Most times, she would come home in a total state of craziness. We finally put it together with the times he had given her red punch. Another time, she had orange soda without our knowledge, and we couldn't figure out why she was going nuts, when someone spoke up and said "well, I gave her some orange soda, but that's not red dye" Duh....it's the same dye just less of it.

It's so hard to convince everyone and get them on the same page (especially hubby, here) - and so hard to break habits. It's been well worth it here, though. My kids are healthier and I feel better than I did when we weren't so conscious of what was in our food.

I wish you luck...

Congratulations on the new baby!

Kim O.

Have you checked into the feingold diet? it removes all the stuff most of you are looking to get rid of.. not to mention if you buy their shopping book you can shop in the stores and not have to read every label.. I found it very helpful as there sometimes are "hidden" ingr. that would make my son go off the wall. Hope this helps.. it did for us. Caution- it is pricey to get the book, but it also gives you an "eating out" guide as well which is great!

We have many food issues. We have a simple rule. We only eat what everyone can eat! Find sweets and treats with natural colors, or do as we do and make your own. If you have been used to buying from the ice-cream truck there will be melt-downs, they will test you. Stand firm. This stuff is not good for anyone. Ever tried to find out where azo dyes come from? Coal tar.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm totally overwhelmed thinking about changing his diet b/c he is already so picky. To go GFCF would about kill him b/c that's all he eats. Pasta, breads, cereal, some fruit, but mostly carbs, KWIM? He doesn't eat many veggies, only selected fruits, won't try new things, etc. My dh is so completely NOT on board w/ eliminating the dyes. He does the grocery shopping sometimes and ALWAYS comes home with something containing food dyes as well as the most sugary, unhealthy cereal there is. The kids love it but than I'm the bad guy when *I* do the shopping b/c I always buy the "healthy stuff". :glare: Not to mention the fact that we simply cannot afford to buy organic (except milk which I've committed to buying only organic no matter what the cost) and all "whole foods". Healthy stuff is more expensive than the processed junk. We just don't have it in our budget. How do you do it? I so want to help my son b/c I know how horrible he feels during and after his meltdowns, not to mention how it affects his siblings and dh and I. It's so draining. Anyway...thanks so much for your advice. I'm sure we'll figure something out!

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm totally overwhelmed thinking about changing his diet b/c he is already so picky. To go GFCF would about kill him b/c that's all he eats. Pasta, breads, cereal, some fruit, but mostly carbs, KWIM? He doesn't eat many veggies, only selected fruits, won't try new things, etc. My dh is so completely NOT on board w/ eliminating the dyes. He does the grocery shopping sometimes and ALWAYS comes home with something containing food dyes as well as the most sugary, unhealthy cereal there is. The kids love it but than I'm the bad guy when *I* do the shopping b/c I always buy the "healthy stuff". :glare: Not to mention the fact that we simply cannot afford to buy organic (except milk which I've committed to buying only organic no matter what the cost) and all "whole foods". Healthy stuff is more expensive than the processed junk. We just don't have it in our budget. How do you do it? I so want to help my son b/c I know how horrible he feels during and after his meltdowns, not to mention how it affects his siblings and dh and I. It's so draining. Anyway...thanks so much for your advice. I'm sure we'll figure something out!

Oh, Sue, I am so sorry that you're going through this. You asked, "How do you do it?" Like I said, it is not easy. However, I do have the support of my dh with this. Without his support, I don't know that I could. Honestly, I think I have "guilted" my family into it.;) I've just told them that dd 8 needs our help. So, we all have to sacrifice for her. Perhaps another time in life, we'll be making sacrifices for another one of us, kwim? Also, before changing dd's diet, she ate almost nothing but what you describe your child eating. She does eat better now, somewhat. For her, doing the GFCF seems to result in her eating more variety, not less. Another thought, I've heard getting rid of all dairy/casein can often reduce impulsiveness in and of itself and be enough without going wheat/gluten free. You might start just with that. My dd is also starting OT again next week. Is your son in OT? That can also help a lot I have heard. Honestly, I am not finding that processed food is really any cheaper. I buy organic mostly and I still feel I spend less on food than when I bought lots of processed stuff.

It's just not easy no matter what...

Anita

I'm totally overwhelmed thinking about changing his diet b/c he is already so picky. To go GFCF would about kill him b/c that's all he eats. Pasta, breads, cereal, some fruit, but mostly carbs, KWIM? He doesn't eat many veggies, only selected fruits, won't try new things, etc.

Hi Sue - It's like you have my son. He's very picky, has texture and visual issues with foods most of us would be fine with/. I have an increased protein pancake mix recipe Id be happy to share. (has almond flour - best price I found was on a web site- and soy and oats and whole wheat.) I've also got a few "sneaky chef" type treats that go over. my ds, also a carb loader and descended from one (me) who's probably borderline AS, does pretty well on homemade carb foods where we increase protein and fat levels. We also don't usually allow much refined sugar intake at all and little raw sugar. We almost completely avoid the dyes and can _really_ see the effects on the rare occasion he gets ahold of froot loops or such. (typing w/one hand, sorry) I'm very interested in this thread. I personally would be satisfied with just an increase in protein and veggies consumption from my ds. He will eat Yves tofu dogs. I like the idea of carrying homemade sno-cone syrup but we also make our own snowcones at home and use 100% juice concentrate in them. also, during ds's recent bout of flu I found popsicle manufactrrs are making treats using only natural colorings and flavors and all or mostly fruite juice. hopefully some of the cart vendors will catch on.

If it will help get a higher level of support from your dh, here's a link to an article summarizing the Brit study last year that supports the dyes/preservatives to hyperactivity theory some:

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1659835,00.html

and another article that helps my confidence in this regards:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1635836,00.html

"On a dollar-per-nutrient basis, healthy food is not more expensive. Lab studies have shown that fruits and vegetables are also more satiating--they make you feel fuller than junk food even though they have fewer calories."

- Jill

I stumbled upon this thread so forgive me that I don't have the same issues in my home- although I do have a child that is extremely sensitive to dyes. One thing that I thought when I read your post is that the whole family not having dyes is NOT punishing any of them. Dyes are horrible for our bodies- period. They truly have no place in our food. So, rather than looking at it as punishing the family look at is as improving the families diet with your son reaping the benefit of not being tempted by those things which make him act out. There are TONS of other things you can do. Beet powder makes things a great pink- red. There are even naturally colored sprinkles available. Educate yourself about what dyes are made from (petroleum) and what they do to the body. Then educate your family. Make your own snow-cones or take some juice with you and have that.

Good luck. My now 6 yr old asks if things have dyes because he now recognizes how he feels when he has them (I point it out any time he gets a hold of the dyes and now he gets it but it took time).