Menu

Classical Writing vs. IEW

Halcyon

Can someone who is familiar with either or both of these writing programs please share with me your insights? Pros/cons, etc.? We are currently using WWE and loving it, and hope to continue. We also use WS3 but it's....eh.

Thanks.

ETA: also, wondering if combining, say CW, with WWE is overkill. We love WWE!!

Edited by Halcyon

My older dc did the online CW Homer OB class (with Kathy Weitz) in middle school. CW is wonderful and rich -- but it was daunting for me. Did it help them in their writing? I believe so. The six-sentence shuffle is a great exercise. I loved the model re-writes, in media res, etc. I can't say enough wonderful things about Kathy. She is an excellent teacher.

I will implement element of CE Aesop with my little dds, in conjunction with WWE & IEW. They all bring something unique to the table, imho.

My ultimate goal, as of now, is to get dd7 ready for Potters School Writer's Workshop by 5th grade. Not sure we'll be ready, but I'll give it a good shot. Middle School is a great age to get students writing for an outside evaluator, at least for us. I don't have the expository skills to teach writing to the level of a professional. That is why dd 8th is in Potters School English 2 (samples here) and dd10th goes to school. :)

I'm sure SWB's middle school writing program will be excellent.

Can someone who is familiar with either or both of these writing programs please share with me your insights? Pros/cons, etc.? We are currently using WWE and loving it, and hope to continue. We also use WS3 but it's....eh.

Thanks.

ETA: also, wondering if combining, say CW, with WWE is overkill. We love WWE!!

I love CW but I haven't used IEW, nor have I researched it to know what philosophy it is based on.

I can tell you CW is based on the same philosophy as WWE. I am sure whatever SWB eventually comes out with will be easier to use, but that said CW works here. Though you might want to take a look at Writing Tales. It is also based on the same philosophy and is more user friendly. WT users usually just switch over to CW Homer when they finish WT Aesop.

What I love:

-Delays original writing

-Works on content

-Builds a comfort with language (changing tense, changing sentence type, changing between plural/singular, change between proper and common nouns, synonym substitutions, removing and adding modifiers of all kinds).

-Has great analysis work

Best of all it is very concrete.

Heather

I haven't seen IEW, but I do use WWE and CW (and WT).

I feel that WWE and CW Aesop are very similar. At heart they are both listen to a short passage or fable and write a short summary/narration. There is some grammar and some copywork/dictation in each one. I don't think both are needed.

What is great about CW is that more language arts are in the program. There is more grammar, vocab, spelling, etc.

What is great about WWE (and think will be in WWS) is that SWB really simplifies what is needed in a writing program and makes the bare bones very accessible. So you can take those and use it across your curriculum. If you are using WWE skills in history and science and literature, you don't need anymore writing.