Menu

Saxon 87: Using it as a review for myself

skueppers

Because I'm curious about Saxon math (I want to know what the debate is about), and because I want to review 7th grade math myself, I ordered a used copy of Saxon Math 87 (second edition) for $5 including shipping. Seemed like an amazing deal, honestly.

I just got it today (in pristine condition), and started working through it. Since I've never used Saxon math at a lower level, is there anything I ought to know? So far it seems quite self-explanatory. I anticipate that the material in the book will be extremely easy for me, as there are only a few areas of 7th grade math that I'm rusty on, but I'm going to try to do it as intended, working all the problems. Part of my goal is to obtain a better understanding of the Saxon method.

I don't have the supplementary materials, just the textbook itself.

I've only seen and used K-7/6, and I do think 8/7 ramps up a bit--so keep the grain of salt handy...

From what I've read, they made significant changes to 8/7 3rdEd, adding more pre-algebra and now making it as challenging as Algebra 1/2. The basic Saxon method is unchanged.

I don't have any advice, except that it might be interesting to take a concept and trace each time it appears, in order to see and appreciate the incremental preparation for the full-blown application of that concept. Or, see how some of the work leads gently to other work--like the skip counting in the younger grades leads to multiplication, or the number line and temperature graph lead to the coordinate plane. You can usually tell that something has been "prepared for" by noticing when a new concept appears--Boom!--and it feels very easy because of the preparation you may not have even connected.