Menu

Does your 9yo still read out loud?

Hedgehogs4

I'm wondering if I should be having my ds9 be doing "reading" as a subject. He has independent reading time 30 minutes per day and has to read stuff for his school work all the time, but he doesn't read out loud to me very often. Should I be working more in a focused way on his reading skills? He's a strong reader, but I can't be sure if he is missing stuff or not because he's usually on his own when he reads.

Kelly,

I still have my 9 almost 10 y/o read to me. He reads far above grade level, however I think it's helpful to still read out loud to me for a few reasons.

1. He reads so fast that often times skips over words or reads words incorrectly. When he reads to me I can catch those errors.

2. He won't naturally stop and figure out what words mean, however I've noticed that after a couple years of reading out loud to me, he will sometimes stop and ask me what something means! We keep the computer near to be able to look words up quickly so as to not interrupt the flow too much. He continues reading and I look up the word for him.

3. He usually has one school book he's reading on his own (my pick) and one he reads only with me. (Then he free reads on top of this). This allows us both to hear the book so we have some discussion going on about it. (Just real informal)

4. We've just enjoyed this "bonding" time together. We've had some great discussions around the books we've read together. I only have each child read about 10 min. a day to me, which doesn't seem like much, but done consistently we make okay progress.

Next year I plan to drop his reading out loud to me. That will increase my workload as I'll need to make sure to read the books I want to discuss with him!

Well, my daughter just turned 10, and we read in all different ways. She reads on her own. I read aloud to her. And often in our read-alouds we take turns- sometimes taking turns reading every other page, sometimes taking turns with chapters, or something she just likes reading "what people say."

Last year, the only reading aloud dd did was in her spelling book--she used SWO and would read the beginning paragraphs in each chapter.

Sometimes, I have heard her read to her cousin, so I know she can read with expression and correct emphasis, etc.

Reading as a subject is far more than reading aloud, however, so you might be dropping the reading aloud while continuing to ask comprehension, prediction, inference and other sorts of questions.

I started out last year with all of my dc reading out loud to me, even the 7th grader who is a very strong reader. It got to be too time consuming and I let it got even though it was a good practice. Even my strong reader reads too fast, skims over words and mispronounces words he's only seen in print. My problem probably being that they read to me every day. I probably should have scheduled one per day and then I would have gotten to everyone in a week's time. Oh well...

Funny story...Apparently I still mispronounce words as well. I remember perfectly being pregnant with my 1st son and mispronouncing awry. I'd read it a thousand times and I'd heard it spoken correctly but I'd never heard it AND seen it together. I mispronounced it in front of a friend and she laughed her head off...it was embarrassing.

And then just last week I was reviewing Wordly Wise with my son and I mispronounced victuals. I had NO IDEA it was pronounced vittles. I've been mispronouncing it in my head all these years. What was embarrassing was that he had gotten something wrong in the exercises with this word and I was spending an inordinate amount of time explaining the finer points of usage. Then we get to the very last little paragraph where they go over interesting word tidbits and then lay it on me that it's pronounced Vittles. Oh the laughter from my son and my husband. Will I ever live it down?

So yes, you are never too old to have your pronunciation double checked. :001_smile:

Anyway, this year my younger dc are using WWE and I have the 3rd and 5th grader read out loud to me their lessons from that. Now I'm killing 2 birds with one stone and WWE is structured so that they don't have readings but twice a week. My older dc are on their own. At least they know how to pronounce victuals.

Still have DSs do some read aloud here (in addition to a fair amount of solo reading, and the occasional fun family read aloud at night) -- and DSs are grades 11 and 12. We still do it "popcorn style" ("you read a page, I read a page".) It's a great way to:

- practice oratory skills

- stretch them by reading books just above their reading level

- learn vocabulary in context

- to discuss/analyze literature

- and just plain have fun enjoying great lit. together! :)

However, some children hate reading aloud and are very proficient readers, and so if they don't need it and don't like it, then feel free to stop.

Just have to note: as a family, we had a blast doing Hamlet the last 2 weeks, taking multiple parts each day, "performing" with our voices, and then discussing/analyzing as we went. Enjoy reading aloud together! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

I think it really depends on the child. I stopped asking dd10-on-Friday to read aloud to me once she was a fluent and independent reader, at around 7 or 8yrs. She does sometimes reads aloud to her younger brother. This year we've used Mosdos for literature, and I have her read the selections. She reads beautifully, so not doing reading aloud hasn't caused any problems for us.

Nikki

Well, my daughter just turned 10, and we read in all different ways. She reads on her own. I read aloud to her. And often in our read-alouds we take turns- sometimes taking turns reading every other page, sometimes taking turns with chapters, or something she just likes reading "what people say."

My nine year old son and I do it much the same way. Most of his reading is to himself, silently, but I do take turns reading with him from various books. It isn't something assigned, we just approach it in a variety of ways!

I have my 9yo doing CLE reading because he won't willingly read a book and pleasure and reading do not mix in his vocabulary. That said, he reads well. I just feel he needs the practice since he won't do it on his own. I usually only require a couple pages, just enough so I know he's pronouncing things correctly. We also sometimes 'buddy' read history and science so he can practice all kinds of vocabulary.

When my kids were tested last year, the tester brought to my attention that my 9 y.o. was skipping the middle syllables of very long words when reading out loud to her. We hadn't been reading out loud because she was a strong reader. I was so surprised. So, this year she reads her WWE4 out loud before we narrate, and now the whole family does a round robin style reading for all subjects we do together that have any large amounts of reading -- Bible, Science... It has been great. They really love it. And I was reading so much before; I love reading less! I also learned that the same daughter comprehends better when she reads out loud versus reading to herself!