Menu

I am SO furious and I need to vent...

feel free to rein me in if you think I need it!

My girls and I helped a friend out today with a Fall Harvest Festival that she puts on as a fundraiser for her equine therapy program, which is run totally by volunteers. There was a silent auction at the festival. There were at least 3 things that I was bidding on and I noticed that another woman was also bidding on the same things as I was bidding on. Anyway, the announcement came on that there were 15 minutes left in the auction. I went over by the table with all of the gift certificates to look at my bids and I noticed that that woman had outbid me on each one and that she and her friend were standing right by the table. Anyway....all of a sudden....I see that woman run up and announce that the auction was over. The SAME woman who had outbid me. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't care that I was outbid....but I don't think it's fair that this woman was running the auction and bidding on things. She chose when it was going to end and she made sure that she was the high bidder on all of her/my items. I am so angry but I am not going to say anything to my friend who hosted the fall festival because it wasn't her fault. I have no respect for this woman or her daughters....now I can understand why her daughters are so rude but boy am I mad right now!!!

I think you should mention it to your friend... once you feel calmer about it. I wouldn't bring it to her as you having an issue, so much as I just want you to know this happened. Otherwise she might continue to allow the person to do the same again next year, and that is very unfair to everyone else.

I think you should mention it to your friend... once you feel calmer about it. I wouldn't bring it to her as you having an issue, so much as I just want you to know this happened. Otherwise she might continue to allow the person to do the same again next year, and that is very unfair to everyone else.

Yeah- I'd tell her as an FYI that you think she should get somebody else to run it from now on. That you can deal with being outbid but not when it's done by somebody like that! That doesn't sound ethical at all!

now I can understand why her daughters are so rude but boy am I mad right now!!!

Consider the source, my mother would say. I remember the girl who was the bane of my 5th and 6th grade. My mother said little beyond "the acorn doesn't fall far from the oak" etc. 10 years later she came rushing in the door and I heard her hiss to my father, in the other room, "There is justice in the world: Laura X grew up OOOOOOGLY!"

Like a previous poster, I might mention it as a "by ending a few minutes early you missed out on more bids".

I think one way to remedy the problem is to have an official clock posted for everyone to see and to specify that bids must go up in $5 (or whatever) increments (to stop people from raising bids by a small amount, thus stopping the back and forth at the end).