Menu

Anyone want to share interesting tidbits that they learn from various open houses?

8filltheheart

We went to VCU's today. We learned a few things that surprised us.

**Their nursing anesthesiology program is #1 in the country.

**They are 1 out of only 2 accredited forensic science programs in all the US and Canada.

** The offer a guaranteed admissions program into medical/pharmacy/dental school. Highly competitive to gain admissions, but if you are selected and continue with the program all 4 undergraduate yrs, you do not have to take the MCAT and are, well, guaranteed admission. ;)

**They recommend any high school student interested in medical school shadow a health care professional. The avg # of hours amg students applying to the above guaranteed admissions program is 450! (That really shocked me. That is a lot of hrs for a high school student who is really just beginning discerning their future!)

**They are the largest VA state university. They do not have a football team b/c of title 9 rules. (At least I think that is what they said about football......I was really tired. :tongue_smilie:)

**I hated the downtown environment BUT the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart (absolutely stunning!) is in the center of campus and it has a stone from the Garden of Gethsemane in it. Dd was excited by the easy access to daily Mass. (I definitely can't argue with that point!):001_smile:

We went to VCU's today. We learned a few things that surprised us.

**Their nursing anesthesiology program is #1 in the country.

**They are 1 out of only 2 accredited forensic science programs in all the US and Canada.

** The offer a guaranteed admissions program into medical/pharmacy/dental school. Highly competitive to gain admissions, but if you are selected and continue with the program all 4 undergraduate yrs, you do not have to take the MCAT and are, well, guaranteed admission. ;)

**They recommend any high school student interested in medical school shadow a health care professional. The avg # of hours amg students applying to the above guaranteed admissions program is 450! (That really shocked me. That is a lot of hrs for a high school student who is really just beginning discerning their future!)

**They are the largest VA state university. They do not have a football team b/c of title 9 rules. (At least I think that is what they said about football......I was really tired. :tongue_smilie:)

**I hated the downtown environment BUT the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart (absolutely stunning!) is in the center of campus and it has a stone from the Garden of Gethsemane in it. Dd was excited by the easy access to daily Mass. (I definitely can't argue with that point!):001_smile:

Wow, I'm surprised by that! 450 hours! That seems more like a number of hours someone would have entering medical or vet school. Jeepers.

Dd15 is considering medicine, either psychiatry or gyno (choices as of this week ;) ). I have no idea how she'd shadow in high school :tongue_smilie:

Here's my tidbit:

In visiting Belhaven University, we learned that only 30 colleges/universities in the states are accredited in all 4 of the arts: visual, music, dance, and theater. Belhaven is one of the 30, and the only Christian college.

Impressed this music major, that's for sure!

We only attended one open house when my daughter was a senior. We were all favorably impressed, but it is not the college which my daughter now attends.

One thing I learned at a session on travel abroad is that students need to apply for permission to study abroad. I assumed it was a given that any student who wished to study abroad could do so. The process involved applying to the student's home college in the sophomore year and obtaining letters of recommendation from professors. The student had to make a case as to why they wished to study abroad. We were told that the students who did not receive permission generally sent in incomplete or poorly thought out applications.

The system seems to be somewhat similar at the college my daughter now attends. She has recently declared her major (as a first semester sophomore) since part of the process entails that she meet with a departmental advisor to make certain she can meet all of the requirements for her major.

Regards,

Kareni

Wow, I'm surprised by that! 450 hours! That seems more like a number of hours someone would have entering medical or vet school. Jeepers.

Dd15 is considering medicine, either psychiatry or gyno (choices as of this week ;) ). I have no idea how she'd shadow in high school :tongue_smilie:

I have been thinking about that talk a lot since yesterday. I think 450 hrs is completely insane. That is over 2 hrs/wk for 4 yrs. I am actually irrationally irritated by it. My thoughts have been along the lines of "why can't kids be kids when they actually are??" Do they really need to have that clear of an idea in 9th grade what they want to do with the rest of their lives?

I left that talk deflated. Not b/c of the 450 hrs, but the realization that I feel sucked into this rat-race world with its priorities completely flipped upside down. I really feel compelled to throw a wrench into our whirlwind life and just stop. Just stop. And re-right our world on right priorities.

Oh.....and to clarify.....they said shadowing of any medical professional and said family docs are usually pretty open to it.

is a very different place from what it was 35 years ago, when I studied art there. My son is in the Engineering School and my husband and I are on the Parent's Council. It was not my first choice school for my son, but after attending every event they had, (and it was his choice hands down), I am singing a different tune. I am very, very pleased with the quality of program, the dorm, the food, the cultural offerings. I am not pleased that he is playing Rugby, but that's just me being over-protective. I want to swim in the salt water pool in the gym, and climb the ginormous climbing wall.

The other four top-of-his-list schools were D.C. area and Philly downtowns, and we thought Richmond was nothing compared to those, but I have not lived in either so can't compare, and really, really boonie-town rural (like where he grew up.) Now I see that this U is a very good fit.....big school opportunities and offerings, while the small community of about 1600 (I believe) in his school. He loves being in the Eng school, not in an LEP program, too. Different schools all seem to have different ways of enrolling, and he was tired of liberal arts education, it felt like more high school when he contemplated going to lib arts colleges, he said.

For orientation, parents recieved Harlan Cohen's book "The Happiest Kid on Campus: A Parent's Guide to the Very Best College Experience (for You and Your Child)" and I had already purchased him "The Naked Room-mate", and for this past weekend's parents' weekend, Harlan Cohen spoke, signed books, and was a real hoot!

Totally not relavant, but of all the colleges and Us I've visited with two kids, VCU's food catering (for special events) is in the top 2-3. Cafeteria food was second only to one other state U, in our opinions.

I'm still just awed that my kid made the best decision on his own, somewhat against my wishes, and its coming true that he made the right one. I'm proud.

LBS

Edited by LBS

is a very different place from what it was 35 years ago, when I studied art there. My son is in the Engineering School and my husband and I are on the Parent's Council. It was not my first choice school for my son, but after attending every event they had, (and it was his choice hands down), I am singing a different tune. I am very, very pleased with the quality of program, the dorm, the food, the cultural offerings. I am not pleased that he is playing Rugby, but that's just me being over-protective. I want to swim in the salt water pool in the gym, and climb the ginormous climbing wall.

The other four top-of-his-list schools were D.C. area and Philly downtowns, and we thought Richmond was nothing compared to those, but I have not lived in either so can't compare, and really, really boonie-town rural (like where he grew up.) Now I see that this U is a very good fit.....big school opportunities and offerings, while the small community of about 1600 (I believe) in his school. He loves being in the Eng school, not in an LEP program, too. Different schools all seem to have different ways of enrolling, and he was tired of liberal arts education, it felt like more high school when he contemplated going to lib arts colleges, he said.

For orientation, parents recieved Harlan Cohen's book "The Happiest Kid on Campus: A Parent's Guide to the Very Best College Experience (for You and Your Child)" and I had already purchased him "The Naked Room-mate", and for this past weekend's parents' weekend, Harlan Cohen spoke, signed books, and was a real hoot!

Totally not relavant, but of all the colleges and Us I've visited with two kids, VCU's food catering (for special events) is in the top 2-3. Cafeteria food was second only to one other state U, in our opinions.

I'm still just awed that my kid made the best decision on his own, somewhat against my wishes, and its coming true that he made the right one. I'm proud.

LBS

My dd has her mind pretty set on VCU. She wants to major in forensic science and VCU is one of the best. I am not thrilled with the size of their classes (student ambassadors told us chem has about 500 students :tongue_smilie:) She simply shrugged her shoulders. Her brother goes to a uni with only 8000-9000 students, so she has seen the difference.

She loved every minute of being downtown. Me......I was overwhelmed by the traffic and people. I am not a crowd person at all.

I'm glad to hear that 2 people on here have kids at VCU that are happy with that decision.

Just wanted to add that I feel VCU is a little community within the community, iykwim. There IS a campus, and a lot of the city-feel is moderated by the fact that that section of the city, while it has boundary streets that are quite busy, is not filled with tons of high rises and office buildings. VCU uses quite a few ordinary houses to hold offices, which adds a certain amt of charm. So, you can stay on campus and not feel that you are completely downtown, like walking thru Boston or DC or Dallas. They have enough entertainment and restaurant offerings on the very edge of campus, too, so you can visit non-campus areas and not have to venture far.

Or, of course, you CAN go right to the Capitol buildings area, if you want--ds was a page in the Senate and occasionally visits there, walking about 20 minutes to do so. He also goes to the major grocery store that's a 1/2 mi away on occasion, and frequently visits the movie theater, also about a 20 minute walk (could take the bus, but he's not into that).

Anyway, the only "city" feeling of discomfort I get is from the rather large pop of homeless and hurting folks in Monroe Park. Not really there during the day, and the police provide good security while being compassionate, but it's still not rural VA Tech or Radford.

And yep, their food court is really, really good--I think it's as good as JMU!

• 4 weeks later...

My son is in a large-ish Chem class right now, it is about 400. But no teaching assistants, all his classes are professors. He loves his Calc prof, a really amazing guy, his class is about 35.

From my son's dorm: 3 blocks to large, new Kroger, 4 block walk to Gamestop, 1 block to bunch of food places, incl. Chipotle's. Huge and active presence of VCU police, and city police also.

True about homeless being gone during the day, but on Saturdays when I have been down there to work on Parent's Council, local churches come to the park, and hand out food and blankets, and this is the most orderly, nicely dressed homeless folk you have ever seen. I have no idea or speculation why, or what it may mean. I just observed this, several times. Like Chris, I'm not thrilled with their presence.

We visited five schools in Va. in a row, and compared food (somebody on these boards once commented that some kids use the quality of the french fries as one of the top points in judging a school, something like that and I remembered it and we did have a fun time comparing food.) In our humble opinions, VCU's was better than any, except Tech's. Tech's food is state renowned, and it felt like we were eating in a pretty nice restaurant, when we ate 3 meals there. Honestly! It looked like "date night" except the kids were dressed so shabbily, well, like college students.

I will say that most of the U's we visited probably were putting the best foot forward for parent and prospective student visiting days, who knows if its that good all the time. I'm easy to please though: I think any food that somebody else cooks, serves and cleans up after, is pretty good.

I had a great time on college visits, with both kids. Its very pleasant. We did some on individual days and some of huge visitation days, many on "accepted students only" days......all different but interesting.

Good, good, luck

LBS

I have been thinking about that talk a lot since yesterday. I think 450 hrs is completely insane. That is over 2 hrs/wk for 4 yrs. I am actually irrationally irritated by it. My thoughts have been along the lines of "why can't kids be kids when they actually are??" Do they really need to have that clear of an idea in 9th grade what they want to do with the rest of their lives?

Based on DH's and my high school experiences, I would bet the 450 hours is something like a single summer of full time work. If it's 35-40 hours a week, that would be a summer right there. The kids we knew who did that (including DH) basically had summer internships/jobs between their junior and senior years, or between senior year and college, in whatever interesting office they could get into -- TV station, sheriff's department, non-profit, veterinary office, department of natural resources, science labs... I volunteered in a friend's dad's non-profit for a summer and worked in a school library for another summer, although neither one was what I was planning to do for a career... but between the two summers I'm sure I topped 450 hours. I just wasn't as focused about it as I might have been.