Menu

A warning about yeast-cake mixes and pancake mix

I received an email today:

Check the expiration dates on packages like pancakes and cake mixes that have yeast which over time develop spores. Apparently, the mold that forms in old mixes can be toxic! Throw away ALL OUTDATED pancake mix, brownie mixes, Bisquick, cake & cookie mixes, etc., you have in your home.

I checked snopes myself and they say its true so I wanted to forward this incase anybody uses any of these- now granted, I am guessing nobody does keep this stuff that long and there is a bad taste but still. I am thinking maybe elderly grandparents or parents (if like any I know) who would never throw perfectly good food away :001_huh:

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

According to Snopes, the yeast does not magically produce spores- it's more an issue of old opened packages (or old poorly packaged mixes- in a box with no bag, or in a paper bag that doesn't protect them from moisture) that have been exposed to spores that can grow the molds that can cause some people who are allergic to them to have an anaphylactic reaction.

I am thinking maybe elderly grandparents or parents (if like any I know) who would never throw perfectly good food away :001_huh:

Have you met my mom? :lol:

She wouldn't throw it away--she'd bring it to me. I thank her, and promptly toss it as soon as she leaves.