Menu

Best time to transition from CLE to Saxon?

Mom0012

I'm using CLE with my daughter and it is a perfect fit for her, but eventually we will transition to Saxon because while CLE's Algebra I will probably be ready in time for her, I'm sure none of the other upper level maths will be. (It looks like it is going to take years for them just to get Algebra I on the market.)

Anyway, when would be the best time to do this? She's only just finishing up CLE 3 at the moment, so we've definitely got lots of time, but I like having a plan. Plus, I've been buying ahead with CLE whenever I have the funds and I'm not sure what level to stop at.

I'm thinking it's more of a question of when is it best to start Saxon rather than when should I stop CLE. From what I've read, it's difficult to jump into Saxon past a certain point.

Thanks!

Lisa

CLE math 7 or 8 to Saxon algebra 1 would be a good place to switch.

:iagree: I am helping field test the Sunrise Edition of Algebra 1. The only thing I am disappointed in is they are not integrating the geometry as they have in previous levels. If you are sure you are going to Saxon after CLE (and personally, I do think that's a good move) I would have her take the Saxon placement test after CLE 7. If it shows she's definitely ready for Algebra 1, I'd go with it. If there's anything that makes you hesitate at that point (a not so great score or a student that has struggled through CLE 7), then I'd wait on Algebra 1 until after CLE 8.

Thank you both! She is strong in math, so I can see this working for her. I had wondered if I should have her start Saxon before Algebra so that she could get used to it, especially since Saxon isn't in a workbook format, but it doesn't seem like either of you think that's necessary.

What about the new Saxon Algebra? Does that continue to integrate geometry now that they have a separate geometry program? Just curious.

Thanks again!

Lisa

Before Algebra 1. I'd say when she tests into Math 76.

If you decide to do this, give her a Saxon placement test after 4th grade. My ds (Mr. Math) placed ready for 7/6 after CLE 4 (we didn't make the move, I just tested him for both Saxon and TT for a comparison between the two).

One of our dss placed in 8/7 after finishing half of the CLE 600 level. He is challenged, but doing well.

I'm glad we made the switch now before Algebra because it has been a bigger change than I anticipated. Saxon is a bit more wordy, but that's one of it's strengths. He is learning the math language well.

Thank you both! She is strong in math, so I can see this working for her. I had wondered if I should have her start Saxon before Algebra so that she could get used to it, especially since Saxon isn't in a workbook format, but it doesn't seem like either of you think that's necessary.

What about the new Saxon Algebra? Does that continue to integrate geometry now that they have a separate geometry program? Just curious.

Thanks again!

Lisa

CLE math 7 prepares dc very well for Saxon algebra 1. If you want to transition before alg. 1 then try Saxon alg. 1/2 instead of CLE math 7.