Menu

Do you just do Spelling Workout?

robsiew

If you use SWO, is that all you use? I'm an AAS lover, but my 6 y/o needs something he can do independently sooooooo, we're going to give SWO a try. I'm not excited about it, but I think it's right for him at this time.

So, do you just do the three pages a week? Do you add anything to it? Do you test at the end of the week?

I'm thinking about using Spellingcity with him. I used to use that with my olders back when we did lists.

I'm so out of the "spelling word list" routine. I really love how AAS focuses on the rules and not just word lists. We are just starting SWO A so I only am familiar with that book. I'm not sure how it progresses.

Anyway (can you tell I'm really not that excited about this?? The things we do for our kids!!) I need to keep it simple as this is a 6 y/o, but I can tell you right now that he can spell his way through at least 1/2 the book at this point... I'm okay with it not challenging him yet though because we'll both have to get used to this new format and way of doing spelling for him... better to do that with "easy" stuff.

Here's a blog post on how we do SWO. I was freaking out that my dd spelling wasn't translating much into her writing until I listened to SWB writing lectures. Even so, I think that we will be making sure that dd knows her phonograms over our break in the US. When we start up again I think that I will have her use letter tiles for her pretest and maybe for some more practice later in the week, plus she'll copy every word 3 times during the week. I also want to be more intentional about explaining the rules, I find SWO doesn't give the best explanation on the how's and why's. Hope that helps!

Edited by Pata

I switched to a different program, but when I was using SWO A, it was the only program I used with my ds. I did not test at the end of the week.

My ds also knew how to spell the entire book. Since it was highly recommended in WTM, I gave it a try. We finished A and then progressed into B. We only did the first few lessons on B and then I decided to switch.

My son had a hard time utilizing the spelling rules. I think it's because he is really good at memorization so he didn't need to use rules to remember how to spell.

That's all we do, but DS is a natural speller. I almost could drop it.

This is the same situation with my oldest, and we do test at the end of each week. If your 6 yo is a natural speller, you may not need to add something to it. My youngest is NOT a natural speller. I just started using AAS with him.

Krista

Edited by kristavws

My dd breezed through SWO A last year. Most weeks we were doing 2 lessons a week(test on Wed. and Fri). We have always tested at the end of the lesson-we use spellingcity. I do a page a day, Monday-Wednesday, then review on Thursday, and test on Friday(this is what we are doing this year). Dd is a strong speller but she memorizes very well also. I believe her phonics program is more helpful with her spelling than SWO though.

Thanks everyone! I've been out of town and just saw these. Since I already do AAS with my other kids I think I can fill in anything that might come up "short" in SWO for him. We'll try it and see how it goes... thanks for input on how to do this with him. We'll experiment with a couple different ways and see how it goes. He LOVES the computer, so spelling city will likely come into play! :D