Menu

I am going to lose my mind over planning 9th grade...

And yes, I know this is not the high school education board.

Someone asked about this biology course there, and did not get enough response.

Has anyone here used High School Biology in Your Home?

http://www.scienceforhighschool.com/biosamples.shtml

What do you think of it? I really like how the student has to do guided research to find the information on his/her own. It seems to me that would make learning more enjoyable and comprehensive.

I sent the author an email a little while ago to ask her whether her course comported with the MA curriculum framework for biology in the areas of genetics, cell biology and ecology.

I have researched traditional bio textbooks to death and I can't find anything I like except that my opinion has not been solidified about BJU's and Apologia's biology courses.

I want a scientifically accurate and interesting course, and it does not have to be Christian in worldview. I also want it to be a good prerequisite course for AP Biology.

Thank you for your help. I think I've aged 10 years over planning 9th grade -- too bad we can't do elementary school over because I finally have a handle on that!

RC

I didn't answer before because I don't know anything about it. I'm going to be looking at biology methods at a homeschool convention (my first one) but am leaning toward a book by Campbell that was recommended to me when I posted about biology. A couple of posts in the thread I'm linking mention Campbell, who has written a few biology books, but one is meant for Gr. 9. Here is the link to that thread if you're interested in looking at other methods (I asked about Apologia) because I'm planning gr. 9, too. http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19494