Menu

"What does math have to do with art?" asks the 7yo.

Art definitely uses a lot of geometry. Especially if you get into computer art. I use it a lot in quilt making. And even if you have a calculator you have to know the mathematical concepts that tell you which numbers to put into the calculator, and which functions to work on them.

We have been doing Math Mondays where I try to have either a math and art project- tessellations for instance- or just some "cool" math thing like magic squares. SOmetimes we read a math book and do a fun activity. I stole the idea from a blog which does a much better job than I do. But it is a lot of fun :D.

In addition to what others have said, many of the higher level graphic design / illustration programs require a lot of math to use well. It's not *just* about being able to draw well.

That, and if one's an artist, one still needs to be able to do the accounting for one's small business, etc...

Thought I'd point out that math isn't just in visual arts like painting and drawing, but also in dance and music through rhythm and so forth.

Art and math is so obvious that it feels like a softball question to me... unless, of course, it were coming from the public school system, in which case, I'm sure you'd never make them see it.