Menu

Memorization

dcjlkplus3

This year memory work is going so much better for us. I read all of their poems onto my mp3 player (it has a microphone), then I can put it onto the computer and label it correctly. This is working so well, I have been doing this with their bible verses and history "stuff" as well as grammar rules and for my oldest it just occurred to me to add a couple of latin verb lists (sum, est, es, etc.).

I was reading the thread about memorizing math facts. Do you think learning math facts orally like that would help a child to learn them, or is that something better seen than heard? What do you think?

:bigear:

"...

I was reading the thread about memorizing math facts. Do you think learning math facts orally like that would help a child to learn them, or is that something better seen than heard? What do you think?"

Absolutely, one of things we used was something called KUKUhttp://japanese.about.com/b/2010/08/25/kuku-memorizing-multiplication-tables.htm

it is effective because it reduces the impact on working memory by trimming down the wording to bare minimums.

Example; “nine times nine equals eighty-oneâ€, doing it Japanese style becomes; “nine,nine,eighty-oneâ€. Well as close as you can get using English.

Good idea with the MP files optical is the next floppy.

Asian way of leraning Multiplication tables worked best for my girls too. They had their tables (1-11) memorised when were 7 yrs old.

Skip counting was a total failure!

We usesd

Nine Ones is Nine

Nine Twos is Eighteen

Nine Threes is Twenty-Seven

We used a sing-song voice & used a rhythm.