Menu

Perimenopause?? Can you help me??

:D Not sure what to ask but I'm wondering if you might share, in a nutshell, your experiences with this. What age "it" started and how you determined that what you're dealing with is a pre-menopause sort of thing!

I'm going insane . . .

Irritable to the MAX (it's extreme and not like me at all - I'm ready to rip everybody's head off practically every minute of the day. I'm sweet one minute and psychotic the next. It's AWFUL. No relief from this feeling either. I'm afraid to get up in the morning.)

Tired. Soooooo tired. No insomnia though.

Every joint and muscle hurts. Constantly.

Headaches. Every single day. I've had this most of my life though they're worse now.

Hot flashes: I don't think I'm having them but I feel "flushed" a lot (kinda tingly and weird in my face and upper body but not overheated).

I sweat constantly. And stink. It's really really gross:confused:.

Cycle is still regular and heavy (ugh). I am still nursing a one year old (maybe 2 times a day).

Dryness throughout my body: hacking cough (no fix here; lungs clear), dry throat, dry eyes, dry mouth (often thirsty and I just had a drink!), etc.

I do need to cut back on caffeine and sugar and I just started working on that today (I'm desperate!). I also added an iron supplement. Just trying it as I've been anemic in the past (3 or 4 times - usually in pregnancy; once not in pregnancy that I can remember)

** I just keep thinking there is a reason I'm feeling like this. It's awful. My poor kids and husband.

**Can a woman who is experiencing perimenopause (or premenopause or whatever it is called) still get pregnant? Despite the torture I will endure I'd really love to have one more baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first thing I noticed was irregular periods and periodic hot flashes. I guess I was about 42. Remember that even though you might be in perimenopause your body can still release an egg. It doesn't as frequently as before but it still can happen. There could be other things going on. It also sounds like you might be getting Vitamin D deficient. I'd go to the Dr and have a thorough physical to make sure everything is functioning okay. Your symptoms can mean a lot of different things and some may be perimenopause and some may be something totally different, that's why I'd suggest a physical but the mood and feeling hot,the dryness and even the heavy periods does sound like perimenopause.

A friend of mine recommended "Before The Change" by Ann Louise Gittleman. It has LOTS of ideas for supplements, symptoms you may be experiencing etc.. lots of great stuff.

I was experiencing similar things, not really hot flashes but flushed feeling, then cold. I am 45.

She says the average age of menopause is 51 but perimenopausal symptoms are felt by some women who are only 35...sooo....

One thing I started doing was taking Vitex daily along w/ flaxseed oil, evening primrose oil etc...

HTH

Kim

I think I'm getting there. Cycles irregular. Like skip one, then regular, then 20 days later spotting, etc. I am also a raging *****. I got some progesterone cream but haven't been able to start it because I haven't had a regular cycle since I got it and I don't know when to start it other than day 8. I also am getting better about taking my vit D, fish oil, B vits. I also hear something about borage oil but I need to research that.

Oh, and I asked for a lot of grace from my family and instituted a "mommy time out" each afternoon. I figure if this is going to go on a while I had better have some strategies. :glare:

Well, so far I'm happy to know I'm not alone or losing my mind (thinking that I just need to pull it together - which I do but quite honestly I'm just not getting there and whatever is going on seems to be closing in!!)

UGH. This is overwhelming. Trying to figure out what in the world is the cause and then how to manage it. So many supplements and then wondering what is helping, what is hurting, am i taking a good quality one, how much, too much, etc. :confused:

Just about anything is better than how it is now.

I'm not THAT old yet (38). Sheesh.

Thanks for sharing your experiences . . . it is helpful!! :001_smile: :grouphug: to you all as you are figuring out what is going on with your own bodies!

I am pretty sure I am in perimenopause- age 43. A friend who has just gone through menopause reckons it took 10 years. She lost her libido completely for 3 of those years, but it came back once everything settled down, she reassured me.

I take it as a wake up call to really take care of myself. It was really, really rough there for a while.....a long while- but the last cycle was the best, emotionally, I have had in years. But I am exercising more - walking for an hour a day, and some yoga- and really taking care of myself with diet and sufficient rest.

I think menopause/perimenopause brings out the imbalances that are already there and exacerbates them.

For 2 years I took progesterone cream and that was awesome, but then I stopped and when I tried it again it was terrible. So, it worked for a while.

You have to get really comfortable in your own body, be willing to experiment with yourself, and also, become your own authority. Sure, listen to other authorities, read books and websites, but take complete responsilbity for your health and wellbeing and take a proactive position. Dont expect a doctor to rescue you, or a medication.

As far as supplements go...different things work for different people. I am finding that chaste tree seems to be good for me right now. But I have never felt any relief from B6 or EPO- yet others find them great.

Sufficient sunshine, healthy exercise and a healthy diet no longer become optional things that you joke about not getting because you just dont have time. They become mandatory in your 40s- otherwise, you really feel it, or you develop serious health crises.

Also, any emotional issues you have never really dealt with come up. Good to grieve, cry, journal, process however works for you (therapy if that helps).

Most of us treat our bodies really badly and expect them to just handle it, and you just cant do that anymore once you start the hormonal rollercoaster.

:D Not sure what to ask but I'm wondering if you might share, in a nutshell, your experiences with this. What age "it" started and how you determined that what you're dealing with is a pre-menopause sort of thing!

I'm going insane . . .

Irritable to the MAX (it's extreme and not like me at all - I'm ready to rip everybody's head off practically every minute of the day. I'm sweet one minute and psychotic the next. It's AWFUL. No relief from this feeling either. I'm afraid to get up in the morning.)

Tired. Soooooo tired. No insomnia though.

Every joint and muscle hurts. Constantly.

Headaches. Every single day. I've had this most of my life though they're worse now.

Hot flashes: I don't think I'm having them but I feel "flushed" a lot (kinda tingly and weird in my face and upper body but not overheated).

I sweat constantly. And stink. It's really really gross:confused:.

Cycle is still regular and heavy (ugh). I am still nursing a one year old (maybe 2 times a day).

Dryness throughout my body: hacking cough (no fix here; lungs clear), dry throat, dry eyes, dry mouth (often thirsty and I just had a drink!), etc.

I do need to cut back on caffeine and sugar and I just started working on that today (I'm desperate!). I also added an iron supplement. Just trying it as I've been anemic in the past (3 or 4 times - usually in pregnancy; once not in pregnancy that I can remember)

** I just keep thinking there is a reason I'm feeling like this. It's awful. My poor kids and husband.

**Can a woman who is experiencing perimenopause (or premenopause or whatever it is called) still get pregnant? Despite the torture I will endure I'd really love to have one more baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I were you, I'd see a doctor. Some of what you describe might be related to perimenopause, but many of your symptoms (sore joints and muscles, daily headaches, dryness everywhere, sweating all the time) don't sound like anything to do with perimenopause. Perimenopause is more cyclical.

Your symptoms could be caused by other problems with hormones, or other factors. I would start writing down all your symptoms, and keep a log of when they occur. And make an appointment for a thorough physical, including bloodwork. Make sure you schedule enough time to really visit with the doctor about what is going on in your body. I hope you find relief soon.

• 1 month later...

This post was before our vacation. I bookmarked it to read and reply to later. I guess, now, it's MUCH later ;).

Great replies. Peela has excellent advice :iagree:.

Here's some info I have on perimenopause. Some of it may be helpful. A healthy diet and regular exercise are key.

You are officially in menopause only after you haven't had a period for a full year. Perimenopause can begin 10 years before menopause, as your hormones begin to fluctuate.

Lots of the symptoms overlap. Some women find the symptoms worse in peri than they do after the "pause."

• Unusually heavy, irregular, or long-lasting periods

• Bleeding mid-cycle, when periods had been regular

• Getting your period again after not having had it for 6 months or more

• Difficulty concentrating and/or mood swings

• Unexplained insomnia, sweating, and/or joint or muscle aches at night

• Frequent urination

• Vaginal pain or dryness that does not improve with home treatment

Kim/Blessed with Seven suggested Ann Louise Gittleman's book. I like lots of her info. Haven't yet read her book. She says the following:

Do a salivary hormone test at least once a year to see what needs to be supported and watch the numbers. Stress will impact the progesterone which may account for the fact that progesterone, unless you are already taking a topical creme, is so universally deficient.

Of course, if you want to know more, the book Before the Change (even if you’re still menstruating) will be eye-opening.

Just to be on the safe side, at least take an estradiol/progesterone salivary hormone test so your ratio can be assessed. 300:1 is considered desirable, in favor of progesterone. Most individuals are very progesterone deficient and are overweight, have a sluggish metabolism, are depressed, and have problems sleeping. The difference when a physiological dose of progesterone is given, according to your age and stage, can be life-changing.

HEALTHY EATING

Avoid spicy foods, especially in the evenings

Cut out refined sugars and processed foods in favor of whole grains

Increase your intake of fresh fruits and veggies, as well as good-quality fasts (such as olive oils)

Eat cold-water fish for fatty acids

Cut back on alcohol and caffeine

Crunch cruciferous veggies – broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower – they have compounds that help the liver flush out artificial estrogens that collect in the body from external sources like pesticides. Aim for 2 servings per day.

Leafy greens (including arugula and other salad greens, collards, spinach, and Swiss chard) are high in calcium, magnesium, and vitamin K, so important to bone health, as well as the phytochemicals, lutein and zeaxanthin, that protect both cardiovascular and eye health. If you’re perimenopausal or menopausal, eating your greens—rich in folic acid—can even fight hot flashes and the blues.

SUPPLEMENTS

Look into a liver-cleansing supplement, such as milk thistle or dandelion tea, to help rid your liver of stress-causing toxins.

Chaste-tree berry (normalizes hormone secretion and helps balance estrogen and progesterone) – 40 mg daily

Nothing has been found to be nearly as effective for menopause symptoms as Black Cohosh. Many Black Cohosh supplements are less potent than they appear. You need to get 540 mg daily. Studies have shown that in sufficient doses, this herb can help alleviate menopausal symptoms in as little as 4 weeks. Puritan’s Pride Black Cohosh 540 mg

One study found that women who took Black Cohosh were 47 percent less likely to have breast cancer.

Black cohosh can reduce hot flashes by 85%. 40 mg daily of Remifemin

Black cohosh treats hot flashes, night sweats, headaches, vaginal dryness, and anxiety

OVERALL RELIEF

Daily Balance Harmony

Enzymatic Therapy AM/PM Menopause Formula

Gaia Herbs Phyto-Estrogen

NOW Foods Menopause Support

Solgar Herbal Female Complex

VAGINAL DRYNESS

Culturelle Probiotic

New Chapter SC Omega 7

Home Health Vitamin E Oil

STRESS AND ANXIETY

Garden of Life Oceans 3 Healthy Hormones – also good for overall relief

Source Naturals L-Theanine

DEPRESSION

Rainbow Light Complete Menopausal Support

Barleans Omega Swirl Fish Oil

Nordic Naturals Omega 3D

HEAVY BLEEDING

The goal is to reduce estrogen levels and increase progesterone levels.

Bioflavonoids (buckwheat, citrus fruit peels and pulp) when combined with vitamin C, moderate estrogen levels and strengthen blood vessels to reduce heavy menstrual bleeding

1500-3000 mg bioflavonoids and 1000-3000 mg Vitamin C daily

HERBS – These herbs, alone or in combination – can alleviate or at least mitigate – your menopausal challenges.

WILD HOPS reduces hot flashes and night sweats, anxiety, and helps muscles relax. Wild hops can help you sleep

30-120 mg at bedtime

Has to be dried to have any medicinal effect

Often used in combination w/valerian and lemon balm.

ASHWAGANDA. Called “mood food”, this herb calms nerves and lifts spirits

SEA BUCKTHORN is also called Omega-7. It combats vaginal dryness and regenerates thinning mucus membranes

GINKGO increases circulation and eases depression and brain fog

LICORICE ROOT is mildly estrogenic, stimulates the adrenals, and may ease depression. Don’t use if you have high blood pressure.

Black Licorice Tea has adrenal-rejuvenating properties – Traditional Medicinals Organic Licorice Root Tea – only have 2 well-brewed cups every other day since licorice can cause a fatigue-inducing potassium imbalance. After 6 weeks, take a 5-day break before repeating the regimen. 1-3 cycles of this helps most women. Do not consume if you’re pregnant or have high blood pressure.

RASPBERRY LEAF eases cramping and tones the uterus

MOTHERWORT is a lovely herb to calm anxiety. It also helps promote restful sleep.

WILD YAM ROOT - Add ¼ cup wild yam root (purchase it cut and sifted) to one pint of cool water in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook 15 minutes. Remove from heat and steep an additional 15 minutes. Strain, cool, and pour into an ice cube tray. Freeze. Then place one ice cube in a mug, pour a cup of boiling water over it, and drink the diluted mixture while it’s still warm. Take 1 cube 3 times a day as needed.

Wild yam root, well known as a hormone regulator is most often used to treat symptoms of menopause. The root is nutritious and anti-inflammatory. Don’t use this remedy if you’re pregnant or taking birth control pills.

SAFFRON promotes calmness and reduces irritability and hot flashes

1 pinch stirred into hot, cooked food daily

HOT FLASHES

According to Chinese medicine, hot flashes are the result of sluggish liver. During menopause, the liver has to go through significant adjustments due to hormonal changes. When the liver is sluggish, the "Chi" (energy flow) in the liver encounters too much resistance due to the adjustments and therefore produce "heat". If the liver is healthy, both the blood flow and "energy flow" are smooth and no "heat" will result. Spicy foods, especially ginger and cinnamon, are very "yang" foods. They congest the liver and produce "heat" that could aggravate hot flashes. Women who suffer from hot flashes may have to avoid these foods.

INCREASE ZINC TO INCREASE PROGESTERONE PRODUCTION and curb the copper from water pipes, tea, coffee, cocoa, chocolate, and soy. Excessive copper equates to estrogen dominance while low progesterone usually correlates with not enough zinc. Copper and zinc need to be in a ratio where zinc is 8 parts to copper's 1. Bring on those zinc supplements (Zinc Plus sold through Uni Key made by Ann Louise Gittleman) as well as organic beef, eggs, and natural pumpkin seeds.

VITAMIN D3 plays a key role in the synthesis and metabolism of estrogen and progesterone.

If you're under 50, take at least 2,000 IU per day.

If you're 50 or over, take at least 5,000 IU per day of vitamin D3.

Always take your vitamin D with a fat-containing meal to ensure absorption.

Your need for vitamin D3 is affected by age, skin color, and the severity of any deficiency

MAGNESIUM helps the body break down excess estrogen and ease stress. Load up on almonds, spinach, black beans, and dark chocolate.

If you have symptoms of magnesium deficiency (and most of us do) – if you’re feeling edgy, have muscle cramps, suffer insomnia, crave chocolate, or notice increased urination, adjust your calcium-magnesium ratio, so that you’re taking at least as much magnesium or—ideally—twice as much magnesium as calcium.

400-1200 mg daily of Magnesium is helpful but use according to bowel tolerance. Your body knows how much magnesium you can tolerate from bowel tolerance – take as much magnesium as your bowels can tolerate

Add 100 mg of magnesium to your nutritional supplements, and increase it by 100 mg every few days until your stools are soft, but not uncomfortably loose.

Take in divided doses and with meals to ensure optimal absorption – preferably more at night

Calcium, magnesium, and many other minerals are best absorbed when they are bound to an acidic carrier such as citrate, aspartate, picolinate, or amino acid chelate. Minerals need an acidic base to break down and get used.

The most absorbable forms are magnesium citrate, glycinate taurate, or aspartate, although magnesium bound to Kreb cycle chelates (malate, succinate, fumarate) are also good.

Avoid magnesium carbonate, oxide, sulfate, and gluconate. They are poorly absorbed (and the cheapest and most common forms found in supplements).

Side effects from too much magnesium include diarrhea, which can be avoided if you switch to magnesium glycinate.

Most minerals are best taken as a team with other minerals in a multi-mineral formula.

People with kidney disease or severe heart disease should take magnesium only under a doctor's supervision.

REGULAR EXERCISE can improve your mood, lower stress levels, and help you sleep.

Increasing your level of activity can reduce hot flashes.

Many yoga poses and the regular practice of yoga help relieve menopausal symptoms

Practice deep breathing. Inhale deeply through nose, allowing your belly to rise. Exhale slowly and forcefully through the mouth, letting your belly fall. Repeat for 5 minutes 3 times daily, or whenever a hot flash strikes.

Once the hot flash passes, ensure the body relaxes fully by inhaling one last time, holding for 3 seconds, and releasing forcefully.

It all started when I was 43, with a period that started a week early--I had always been extremely regular (every 26-30 days, lasting about 5 days). For a couple of months, my periods were kind of wacky, then leveled off to more or less normal again. They did become somewhat heavier, with cycles slightly shorter than usual. This went on for about 4 years, with no other symptoms. I asked my GYN about the changes, but he said, "Sweetie, you're only 43." I knew then that he was going to be little help. I haven't been back.

Things rocked on with the "new normal" until I was 47, and I again had some new changes. I began to have some mid-cycle spotting (always brownish in color--sorry, TMI!), I began having insomnia, anxiety, and a significant loss of libido (which, unfortuately, is ongoing at the moment :confused:). I also began to have very erratic cycles: sometimes 2 weeks between periods and sometimes 6 weeks between periods; periods might stop after 4 days, or linger for 8, very heavy at first, then almost nothing after a couple of days, then picking up again around day 3 or 4. It was also about this time that my firstborn went off to college, which was quite traumatic for me. I'm not sure whether the hormonal events influenced how I reacted to my son's leaving the nest, OR whether my reaction to his leaving the next influenced the hormones. Most likely, it was a bit of both.

I began taking daily supplements: fish oil, evening primrose oil, Vitamin D3, magnesium, calcium, and Vitamin C. I also began exercising daily. I saw improvement in my emotional outlook, the insomnia, and the regularity of my cycles. Since then, I've slacked off on the exercise--it's become hard to make time for it--but I continue to take all the supplements except for the evening primrose oil, which I recently discontinued. I discontinued it because it's not good to take it long-term because it contains estrogens.

In the last couple of months, my cycles have started becoming erratic again. I'm having a lot of mid-cycle brown spotting, and my periods are very unpredictable. I'm ready to be done with this!

Edited by ereks mom

around 42

-Started waking at night and couldn't go back to sleep

-free floating anxiety several times a month

-dry everything

around 43

-Couldn't fall asleep until 2 or 3am during luteal phase

-increased anxiety attacks that were unrelated to anything

-depression/anger during luteal phase

around 45

-very heavy periods every month

-thinning hair and skin

-occasional hot flashes

-insomnia got worse as did anxiety and depression

These all continued until close to my 50th birthday. I still have a fairly regular cycle, but the bleeding is not consistently heavy and sometimes is light. I rarely have anxiety or depression although nothing has changed in my life. There is no doubt that those symptoms were hormone related. I still have insomnia.

Since then, I've slacked off on the exercise--it's become hard to make time for it--but I continue to take all the supplements except for the evening primrose oil, which I recently discontinued. I discontinued it because it's not good to take it long-term because it contains estrogens.

:grouphug: Sorry. Wow. I think I'm noticing some changes now that I'm 42. Nothing major yet. Just little changes here and there - sleep and so forth.

As you already know, exercise is key. Oftentimes, I struggle with fitting in exercise also. But I guess we all need to make it a priority for our overall health and well-being.

Good for you for no longer taking EPO. I may just take mine on weekends - a few days a week, or, better yet, not at all. If you take a good quality fish oil, that should help a lot.

Some here have said that Chaste Berry works very well. I haven't tried it yet.

Here's the info I have on it:

Chaste Berry (Vitex) or Chaste Tree Berry

• Does not contain any hormones, but rather, works on the hypothalamus and pituitary glands, stimulating balanced production of estrogen and progesterone – balances and promotes progesterone

• Indicated for a number of menopausal and perimenopausal concerns - It is often used to treat excessive bleeding, fluid retention and breast tenderness.

• May inhibit the secretion of prolactin , which stimulates the growth of mammary glands. Excess prolactin may be a risk factor for breast cancer. Chasteberry's influence on prolactin and two other female hormones, luteinizing hormone and follicle-stimulating hormone, may also help reduce the menopause-like symptoms of hormonal drugs like tamoxifen

• Is a herb that is high in phytoestrogens. Phytoestrogens are forms of estrogen that are much weaker than the body’s estrogens, but that are capable of blocking the stronger, more damaging estrogens (they can fit into the same receptors in breast cells that estrogens can, thus preventing the estrogen’s ability to dock there). Phytoestrogens also expand the length of the menstrual cycle, possibly lowering the lifetime exposure to estrogen.

• Chaste tree berry (vitex) may inhibit the growth of breast cancer cells.

It's very gentle and somewhat slow to show its full effects, so give it a couple of months before deciding if it's helping.

Normalizes hormone secretion and helps balance estrogen and progesterone

40 mg daily

Pregnant and nursing women shouldn't use Chasteberry. There are few drug interactions, but dopamine receptor antagonists can diminish its effectiveness. Rashes are a rare side effect. Because Chasteberry has an effect upon progesterone synthesis, it may not be appropriate for women who have strongly progesterone receptor-positive breast cancer.

I still have insomnia.

There are supplements that really help with insomnia. I can post info on those here if you're interested. I suffer from it also. Not so much not being able to fall asleep. I fall asleep fine. It's the waking up to go to the bathroom or just plain waking up that does me. Mind you, I have a love-hate relationship with sleep an d sort of like waking up before everyone else. I need my private time to maintain my sanity. But when I really need my sleep, that is, more sleep than usual, the supplements help a lot.