Menu

? about popping your own popcorn and coconut oil - We usually use olive oil

but wanted to try coconut oil, so we used the same amount of coconut oil as we do w/ the olive oil. It turned out really greasy and no coconut taste. So, can you tell me what amount of coconut oil and popcorn do you use to make a pot of popcorn for your family?

Thanks!

I don't know about the amount, but from what I've been told when I shopped around for a good brand of coconut oil, good quality coconut oil will not have a taste.

We've been using coconut oil for years, but haven't tried it on popcorn yet... guess I know what I'm having tonight. :001_smile:

I don't know about the amount, but from what I've been told when I shopped around for a good brand of coconut oil, good quality coconut oil will not have a taste.

That's actually not quite accurate information. Extra virgin olive oil tastes like olives, right? Virgin coconut oil will indeed retain the coconut flavor because it isn't as highly refined as expeller pressed. I purchase all of my coconut oil from Tropical Traditions, and their site is a good source for information. :seeya:

but wanted to try coconut oil, so we used the same amount of coconut oil as we do w/ the olive oil. It turned out really greasy and no coconut taste. So, can you tell me what amount of coconut oil and popcorn do you use to make a pot of popcorn for your family?

Thanks!

Did you use Virgin CO or Expeller pressed (refined) CO?

We use only VCO, and we always use it for making popcorn. It is never greasy, and has a really good flavor. I use the same amount of CO that I'd use with any other oil. If it seemed greasy to you maybe you'll want to use just a tiny bit less next time. :001_smile:

That's actually not accurate information. I really don't mean to sound snarky, but it's like saying that extra virgin olive oil shouldn't taste like olives. Virgin coconut oil will indeed retain the coconut flavor because it isn't as highly refined as expeller pressed. I purchase all of my coconut oil from Tropical Traditions, and their site is a good source for information. :seeya:

Not snarky at all... I'm happy to learn new things! Thanks!

Hmmm... the brand I buy doesn't have a taste... I'd like to give this one a try.

Not snarky at all... I'm happy to learn new things! Thanks!

Hmmm... the brand I buy doesn't have a taste... I'd like to give this one a try.

Thank you. I actually went back and edited my original post because I winced a little when I read it. :blush:

I do recommend Tropical Traditions brand. It's great! And they sell four different kinds, two refined, two virgin. :001_smile:

• 2 years later...
Guest liz08

Your popcorn probably won't taste much like coconut just from using the coconut oil to pop it. And if it was greasy, then definitely scale back a little on how much you use. Not sure how much you typically use, but try just a tablespoon or two. Coconut oil is great to use in general as a replacement for butter or other cooking oils. It has so many healthy benefits, and has been known to help a bit with weight loss as well. Definitely give it a try again and just tweak it until you get it right.

I agree that it needs to be unrefined - there is more flavor there, too, not to mention the refined stuff is not at all good for you.

You really only need enough to lightly coat the bottom of the pot, no need for the puddle of oil. I use my soup pot (8 qt?) and I use about 1 TBS, maybe a little more. Also, there will be a mildly different flavor, but it won't necessarily be "coconutty". I recently ran out of coconut oil and tried popping the corn with canola oil, which is what we always used to make it with and really liked a few years ago, and we all thought it was horrible! The canola, which I always thought was more or less flavorless in this capacity really altered the the flavor, and it seemed to make the popcorn heavier or more oily.

There are some brands available at the store that are good - Nutiva has one that is really nice. Spectrum has a decent one and so does Garden of Life.

I do recommend Tropical Traditions brand. It's great! And they sell four different kinds, two refined, two virgin. :001_smile:

That's where I've bought my coconut oil for probably the past 9 years - their products are wonderful and they have great customer service!

I use 1 tbs too. I like the light taste that it gives. It isn't a strong flavor but is more of a faint scent of coconut.

I buy Spectrum brand at New Seasons as that is the main brand they have. I get the unrefined and you sometimes get a small bit of coconut in it.

If you are making something with coconut oil and don't want the occasional bit, I have learned to melt it, strain it in a fine metal sieve, and then let it cool before I use it. It only takes a few minutes because you barely have to warm it before it is a liquid. I do this for a chocolate glaze frosting that we put on cake. The texture just throws off the frosting.

The thing I have noticed is that it seems when sugar is added to coconut oil, it makes the flavor stand out more.

I use about a 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil to a 1/2 cup of popcorn. I love it that way! It's so much healthier!

Does that cover the bottom of your pan or does it not need that much? 1/2 a teaspoon is a pretty small amount. Less is great, but I always thought you needed enough to skim coat the bottom.