Menu

Penzeys Spices

I love Penzey's! My husband loves the Northwoods, Northwoods Fire and Black & Red. I love almost everything I've ever bought from them. The extracts are awesome! We use the Northwoods almost daily. Our favorite, is to sprinkle it on chicken leg quarters, spray with olive oil, sprinkle with bread crumbs and bake. It gives the taste and feel of fried chicken, without all of the fat and mess. I use a lot of the recipes out of the catalog. Greek seasoning is also great on chicken. The Beef Roast seasoning is really good, so is the taco seasoning. We use the Steak Seasoning all summer. Their cocoa is the best. I just bought the cocoa, cinnamon and vanilla beans for my holiday baking. We don't live near a Penzey's, so when my MIL goes to CT we send her with a list.

The only one's we haven't liked is the Trinidad Seasoning and the Pasta Sprinkle. Trinidad had a heavy onion flavor and the Pasta sprinkle was rather sweet on pasta ( too much basil/rosemary).

HTH,

Kim

I love the smoked Spanish paprika, powdered ginger, Parisien Bonnes Herbes, and..... honestly, I like everything I have ever bought there! I love their poppyseeds for sprinkling on top of my homemade challah. I have a friend who has been raving about the new Arizona Dreaming, but I haven't tried it yet.

We buy all of our spices from Penzeys. Particular favorites are the vietnamese cinnamon, greek seasoning (makes a wonderful dressing), and foxpoint seasoning (I put it on veggies, chicken, fish....). If you make your own hummus, you should get some sumac and put some in it. It adds a nice little kick.

One more question: what size do you normally buy?

For the herbs we used daily, we buy the largest size available in the plastic bags (a lot more cost effective). Some of the special mixes only come in smaller glass containers b/c of various ingredients, so we'll get the largest of those.

For the herbs we used daily, we buy the largest size available in the plastic bags (a lot more cost effective). Some of the special mixes only come in smaller glass containers b/c of various ingredients, so we'll get the largest of those.

My husband still teases me about buying what I thought was an appropriate amount of Penzeys dried oregano. A few ounces, I thought. Perfect. Turns out, that much oregano fills a bag about the size of a small bed pillow. We had so much oregano I had to store most of it in the freezer; I think it took me a year and a half to use it up.

As for my favorite from Penzeys, I'd go with the Tsardust Memories. It's a dopey name, but it is spectacular in chicken soup. Their granulated garlic comes in very handy, too, when I'm feeling too lazy to mince a clove of garlic (or discover that the cat has, inexplicably, hidden my garlic in a secure, undisclosed location. Again.).

• 3 weeks later...
Things I use frequently: cocoa, granulated garlic, Vietnamese cinnamon, sandwich sprinkle, Italian Seasoning, and dried onions. Have lots of others but these are used at least weekly.

Things we didn't like: taco seasoning, the cinnamon blend, and hot chocolate mix.

LOL I LOVE the cinnamon blend and the taco seasoning... never tried hot chocolate. My favorites are Italian, Tuscan Sunset, Bavarian, Fox Point, apple pie, pumpkin pie... gosh I could go on and on. I HATED the chinese 5 spice and am kind of meeeehhh on sandwich but my family loves sandwich.

I LOVE the sweet curry and use it ALL the time. As for sizes, I usually will try 1 in a jar and then buy bags to refill the jars. I typically buy the 4 oz bags and keep them in my refrigerator to refill the shaker.

Edited by lighthouseacademy