• Abeka
    • Horizons
    • Other (please post)

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DS1 Chalk Dust Geometry

Background: He did UCSMP Transitions and Algebra (with Thinkwell Beginning Algebra). We switched from Thinkwell to Chalk Dust for the video component because CD already is coordinated with a test.

DS2 UCSMP Transitions. He prefers reading the text with me rather than watching an instructor on video. He’ll do UCSMP Algebra next year.

Miquon

DS2 started hsing in third grade. He did Miquon that year, right from the first book. Of course, he skipped through the first few, as they start at the beginning kindergarten level. But, it really helped solidify math concepts. We really liked Miquon.

We've always supplemented with lots of math games. Our current fav is Equate, which is a board game similar to Scrabble.

• 2 weeks later...

... but after we struggled to get half-way through Saxon 3, we all wanted to shoot ourselves in head, so we stopped. I liked it in theory, but it seemed like I had to adapt it a lot to suit my children's learning styles. I had to try a bunch of different curricula with my oldest dd before finding R&S, and she took off with it. She used to hate math, and now it is her favorite subject. I switched my other dd into Singapore to reinforce some things I felt she needed work on, and started my 1st grade ds right off in Singapore.

I recently looked at Saxon 4/5 again, and it is so much different than Saxon 1-3 that I might give it a go again when each of my Singapore kids gets to 4th grade. My oldest likes R&S so we're sticking with that for her for the foreseeable future.

My oldest uses MUS.

Ds7 uses Horizons currently, but I'm about to switch him to Singapore. We've had trouble finding the right fit for him. I've definitely decided to either use Singapore or go back to MUS for him.

Dd5 uses Horizons and Miquon. I don't think a Ker needs formal math, but she is a natural at math and it's her favorite thing.

Miquon is my personal favorite.

I love it. We switched from Rod and Staff which we did from 1st-5th. I wish we had found it sooner, my eldest would have had a much better experience.

It is rigorous and thorough and a little bit of everything in each lesson for review and mastery and a new topic. For us, that is what finally worked for my dd.