Menu

BJU vs A Beka for English?

Guest momk2000

We tried Abeka in 1st grade and disliked it. I switched to BJU and have been happy with it. DD has used BJU from 2nd grade through 6th. It is thorough and complete and it works. I wish I could remember exactly what I disliked so much Abeka, but it has been too long and too many kids ago. My younger kidlets have used BJU for English all the way through.

I don't have experience with Abeka English, but I just started BJU English 2 after dropping FLL.

I like how easily everything is laid out for teacher and student. The TM is geared to a classroom, but it is easily adaptable at home. You don't need anything fancy -- maybe a white board or index cards or even plain paper for the "write on the chalkboard" part.

The student edition is set up by chapters, every other one focused on grammar, then writing, then back to grammar, etc. Each individual lesson has a "guided practice" page that we do together, then an "independent practice" page that DD does on her own. There's also a CD of worksheets if you want them for extra practice.

I found the set on sale at Christianbook.com plus free shipping.

Good luck with your decision!

Guest momk2000

Has anyone ever used Christian Liberty Press English for upper grades? I'm just wondering why CLP stops using BJU and continues with their own. Is CLP better for the upper grades than BJU?