Menu

CPO Physical vs. Apologia Physical

Physical Science: CPO, Apologia, or Rainbow  

1. 1. Physical Science: CPO, Apologia, or Rainbow

• CPO: Foundations with 8th; Middle with 6th
    • Apologia: Apologia with 8th; CPO Middle with 6th
    • Rainbow with both
    • Other

Please help me pick one of these to cover chemistry and physics... 8th grade and 6th:

CPO

I much prefer the TOC of CPO because we've done earth science already. Apologia would be just a bit redundant. I could also use the middle school physical science with my 6th grader and foundations of physical science with my 8th grader....... I think. These books have nearly identical TOCs. If I went with CPO, I would need to line up high school courses with a different curriculum.

Apologia

But... Apologia is an icon in high school science. There is a clear sequence I can follow: physical, biology, chemistry, physics, and advanced. CPO does not have this sequence.

Also, it seems like, in general, homeschoolers have a love/hate relationship with Apologia. We're actually using BJU 7th life science this year. I would love to continue with them; but their sciences seem to have the reputation of being overwhelming, and their physical science is for 9th grade.

Rainbow

Rainbow might be a good middle that would keep both kids together. Yet, it is a two-year curriculum. I suppose I would eventually use the biology, but since we're doing life science this year, my focus for next year is really chemistry and physics. Again, I would need to choose a different curriculum for high school courses.

This decision just seems to be particularly hard because it seems weighty to me. It's the jumping off point for high school, and it seems that I am struggling to line up science from 8th-12th. I am also trying to keep my kids together (study the same subjects) just to save time..... (there is also a 3rd grader, but hopefully 3rd and following grades will be easy enough to fold into the mix...).

What are you all using for jr. and sr. science? How do you combine children especially when they are only 2 years apart?

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama
ETA: Tried to add Rainbow to the title...

I don't combine my 6th and 8th grader for science. We use BJU through 7th, then I am doing PH Physical science this year (the 9th grade one, not explorer). I think CPO would be a good choice too. I have a science degree and like teaching science. I am one of the Apologia haters, but that doesn't mean you will be.

I don't combine my 6th and 8th grader for science. We use BJU through 7th, then I am doing PH Physical science this year (the 9th grade one, not explorer). I think CPO would be a good choice too. I have a science degree and like teaching science. I am one of the Apologia haters, but that doesn't mean you will be.

Thank you, Debbie. PH seems to be a very popular curriculum too. I looked at it as well as others. I've finally come down to CPO, Apologia, and Rainbow. (BJU maybe into high school, but still scared it would be too much.) Now, I'm trying to make a final decision.

We tried Apologia for my middle this year. Boring. Want to jump out a window easy. My oldest is using DIVE which we love but don't chose Apologia text with it either. If your child likes science you don't want to use it. Next year my middle will be using DIVE Physical Science with either the CPO or BJU text.

Heather

We tried Apologia for my middle this year. Boring. Want to jump out a window easy. My oldest is using DIVE which we love but don't chose Apologia text with it either. If your child likes science you don't want to use it. Next year my middle will be using DIVE Physical Science with either the CPO or BJU text.

Heather

Thanks, Heather!

I've never thought of putting DIVE with CPO. Do you know if DIVE lines up easily with CPO? I've read that it's written for BJU but it can work with a variety of texts.

Thanks, Heather!

I've never thought of putting DIVE with CPO. Do you know if DIVE lines up easily with CPO? I've read that it's written for BJU but it can work with a variety of texts.

There is a syllabus on the DIVE website that goes with CPO Foundations of Physical Science 1st edition. You can see it at this link.

http://www.diveintomath.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&template=static/syllabus-index.html

Just scroll down to the 'other' section. You can also request that he make a syllabus for a text that you like. The DIVE Physical Science program does not include Earth Science so it fits best with a text that is truly Integrated Physics and Chemistry which CPO and BJU are. Apologia includes Earth so while there is a syllabus for that, it doesn't work as well - as he mentions in his syllabus.

Heather

There is a syllabus on the DIVE website that goes with CPO Foundations of Physical Science 1st edition. You can see it at this link.

http://www.diveintomath.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&template=static/syllabus-index.html

Just scroll down to the 'other' section. You can also request that he make a syllabus for a text that you like. The DIVE Physical Science program does not include Earth Science so it fits best with a text that is truly Integrated Physics and Chemistry which CPO and BJU are. Apologia includes Earth so while there is a syllabus for that, it doesn't work as well - as he mentions in his syllabus.

Heather

Thank you for sending this link, Heather!

Has anyone used DIVE with CPO Physical Science? I don't know if I should try the DIVE with the high school text for 8th grade or just use the middle school text. The high school text *looks* more like 8th grade level.

Can anyone share from your experience?