Menu

MCP Plaid Phonics

Can you jump into these workbooks at any level? My revelation today was that Abeka doesn't specify what a diphthong or digraph is. (And I have no clue what they are, either.) I was thinking of adding in some of the workbook pages but I'd actually prefer to just get it next year. But, if we aren't familiar with those terms, will we be lost jumping into Level B?

Thanks. :)

ETA: Grrrr....at CBD.com, I didn't see a Teacher's Guide. Now I went to Rainbow and see a $50 TM. That may be out of our price range. I'm kind of guessing you need that if you aren't familiar with the material?

Edited by Guest

I don't think most phonics programs teach what a diphthong is, so I don't think that would hinder you from jumping into Plaid Phonics at all. I have the workbook for B, and I don't think it specifically mentions diphthongs anywhere. it might mention digraphs, but I'm pretty sure that if it does it's using the term generically, to mean any combination of letters that only makes one sound, which would include diphthongs (although I believe technically diphthongs are not digraphs, but I'm not sure on that one, lol). We're using the Plaid Phonics workbooks to supplement Phonics Pathways, as DD needs additional practice. She loves them, and I'm so glad someone here told me about them. :) Oh, and I do not have the TM. I've actually started wishing I'd used the whole program, but I'm not jumping ship now and we're having no trouble with the workbooks alone.

Edited by Snowfall

Thank you! I couldn't find very good samples, it just looked like from the Table of Contents that those workbooks might teach the terms. Good to hear a positive experience...without the TM, too. :)

Thank you! I couldn't find very good samples, it just looked like from the Table of Contents that those workbooks might teach the terms. Good to hear a positive experience...without the TM, too. :)

Ds8 did level C last year without any trouble.

Ds6 did A last year and is working through B this year. Ds4 is in A. I plan to have these 2 work through level C.

I don't have the TM, either, and we've used them to supplement Phonics Pathways.

I may be confused but Abeka covers phonics pretty extensively and while it may not call it a dipthong or a digraph it covers them. They are just blends. We have used Abeka phonics, CLP Adventures in Phonics, and MCP Plaid phonics. It is all the same things in the end. By the time you finish the phonics program you will have covered them.

I jumped into MCP Plaid Phonics C last year with my child who had been in public school and not received phonics. It worked well to shore up her skills and lack of phonics background. I bought ours from Seton. The MCP Plaid Phonics has a little section in the top to read and do an example with your child. You don't need the teacher's guide. The teacher's guide is directed totally to a classroom environment. Seton sells an answer key. It worked beautifully for our purposes and helped our 3rd grader out a lot at the time.

What level of Abeka have you finished? If I were to do it to cover gaps, I would do it after finishing Abeka's phonics and I would use MCP Plaid Phonics C with the answer key from Seton.

http://www.setonbooks.com/viewone.php?ToView=P-PH03-11

Seton curriculum should have lots of samples to look at of the book. Just click see inside this book. They carry from Plaid Phonics K through C

Edited by OpenMinded

What do you need to buy to do Phonics Pathways? Off to google that one...

You just need the book! We use that as our main curriculum and I got Reading Pathways to go with it but that is just for extra reading help. That is an extra and not necessary! I think there is one for sale on the used boards on here actually, unless it has been bought!