Menu

First Grade Writing - Ideas? Opinions?

Tracy

Okay, so I am starting to thinking about what to do with writing for next year with my now 5yo who will be 6yo by that time. She is very bright, doing mostly 1st grade work and above. We recently transitioned to cursive, and she is doing very well with that. However, I have purposely held off on writing until an age when you would expect some writing to be done. Here are the options that I am currently aware of:

• TOG WritingAids: I very much like the fact that we could integrate our writing with our history/literature studies.
  • SWR includes many enrichment activities that require writing. But I am not sure whether this would be sufficient for actually teaching writing.
  • WWE: I really like the look of WWE. I like that the material for narrations is included. I have had a hard time getting dd to narrate for me. I am pretty sure she comprehends what she reads, but for some reason, narration is intimidating to her. So I think that this style of narration might be a better way to go. I also think it might help her expand her interest in books.

I know that some people think that 1st grade is too young for a writing curriculum. I am not interested in dumping a lot of programs and assignments on dd. But I am not the kind of person that can just have my child write about whatever thing is relevant. I am not good at coming up with material, and I won't know what to look for and what to expect from her. I am willing to tweak any curriculum, but I have to have a framework to start with.

So what are your thoughts on the above? Are there any other choices that I ought to be considering?

We use WWE here and I love it and the kids tolerate (and even like it, depending on the day).

I really like the workbooks, because with three kids at three different levels, I REALLY appreciate having the selections ready-made for me along with directions on things to point out in those selections.

I have the Complete Writer text also, but it doesn't seem to have any poetry study in it, and there is periodically in the workbooks.

As far as the narrations are concerned, I really like the comprehension questions and leading questions, they do seem to help a lot.

• WWE: I really like the look of WWE. I like that the material for narrations is included. I have had a hard time getting dd to narrate for me. I am pretty sure she comprehends what she reads, but for some reason, narration is intimidating to her. So I think that this style of narration might be a better way to go. I also think it might help her expand her interest in books.

I know that some people think that 1st grade is too young for a writing curriculum. I am not interested in dumping a lot of programs and assignments on dd. But I am not the kind of person that can just have my child write about whatever thing is relevant. I am not good at coming up with material, and I won't know what to look for and what to expect from her.

WWE is what we are using for a similar girl child, born with pencil-in-hand. :D Skill and ease in narration comes with consistent, gentle practice. You will have to model it for her first, then have a season of "narrating" by asking questions (require a complete sentence as an answer). After doing this for a bit, you can simply say, "Tell me what you remember from the story/passage," and wait with your pencil poised -- ready to dictate!

To go along with WWE, I'd recommend getting the instructor guide (The Complete Writer) and the writing lecture for the grammar stage. HTH.

I use WWE with SWR. I think SWR would be fine for someone more confident teaching writing but that is not me. Everything's there in SWR but I needed a little more handholding for the writing portion. WWE has been great for us so far.

Can you give me an example of something that is in SWR but that WWE provides the hand-holding for?

Can you give me an example of something that is in SWR but that WWE provides the hand-holding for?

WWE guides me through exactLy what I should do each day. I don't use the workbook, just the text pulling selections from books we're already reading. It is very easy for me to see how we are to progress throughout the year with longer copywork and narration and then onto dictation in WWE2. I also use FLL for the same reason for grammar. Those are the two subjects that I'm most nervous about teaching and the scripted or almost scripted nature of FLL and WWE are a good fit for me.

SWR includes steps and enrichments for writing and grammar but because I can't see exactly where we're going it is harder for me to implement. IMHO, SWR includes plenty of writing and grammar for early elementary but WWE/FLL make me more comfortable while still being gentle. We still do some of the SWR writing and grammar but WWE is our main program.

I don't think that First Grade is too young to start learning writing. However, there are many ways to approach writing at this stage. Here are some methods that I've tried.

With SWR, you teach writing through spelling. You teach the child to spell words, and then the child uses those words to compose sentences. You can quickly move into dictation if you stick to sentences composed only of spelling words.

With WWE, you teach writing through copywork and narration. You give the child a sentence to copy to work on mechanics. You also have the child narrate (summarize) from a passage, and then the child copies the narration. Eventually the copywork turns into dictation.

In another method, which I think 8FillTheHeart uses, you teach writing through copywork and grammar. You give the child a sentence to copy and explain all the grammar. Then you have the child compose other sentences using the same grammatical pattern.

When my DD was in K-1st I used the first method. Now that she is in 2nd grade, and I've discovered the other two methods, I include aspects of those methods.