Menu

First time we are testing with Iowa BST and ?.

Is there somewhere that I can find out the history and/or science tested at each level? We finished "Test Prep" books by grade that I bought at B & N so they would be familiar with the written test. Prior to this year, we have always used Woodcock-Johnson.

They are finishing the Test Prep books and I wondered if there is a certain historical period they should be reviewing. I have a 2nd, 4th, 5th and 7th grader.

I have used the ITBS with my kids for the last eight years, and have always omitted the social studies/reference materials/and science sections. These portions of the test are not considered part of the "core battery", probably because of the great variance in coverage of these areas. When the tests are scored and returned, we receive referenced norms, percentiles, etc., and our school district seems very satisfied with this.

Your mileage may vary~ :auto:~ just check with your school superintendent's office, or reporting agency. Of course, you may prefer to test on these sections to satisfy your own needs or curiosity. :D

Good luck!

Cindy in NH

The questions are very general. They are *designed* to test students from a variety of schools (using different curricula) all over the country -- they are *not* designed to test a specific historical period or scientific topic. They're looking for a general, age-appropriate exposure to and understanding of "social studies" (geography, holidays, major historical figures) and "science" (a mix of topics dealing with earth science, biology, physics, chemistry appropriate to the age of the child).

If your children read widely (or are read to), they will likely do well.

I have noticed in giving the tests to a group of local home schoolers for the last couple of years... The kids who are used to doing very well in the "skill" subjects do get a little nervous when they get to science and social studies (especially) where they often don't know / can't figure out the proper answer to *every* question. (The kids who are used to being stumped occasionally in all sections experience less anxiety.) *But* the kids *generally* score roughly in the same percentiles on the science and social studies as they score on the test overall. Essentially, they may miss a few more questions, but so do the control groups who helped the test makers score the tests.

Don't "prep" for these sections. They aren't like state tests with "standards of learning", etc. They expect kids to have studied different topics.