Menu

I'm coveting Elemental Science

EmmaNZ

I don't even know why I am! We've been doing fine with BFSU - the children enjoy science, have done some great work and are retaining information. So why do I feel like I need my hand-holding a bit more?? I haven't found it particularly hard to plan for, although I do have to think a bit before each lesson.

Elemental science looks great, is so cheap, and I'd love to just be told what to do every day. On the other hand, we've done life science to death already, and dh doesn't want the kiddos to be doing just one science speciality per year (hence the initial choice of BFSU).

Please reassure me!

My youngest son loves elemental science so much that he actually does it for FUN. He is very scienc-y and wanted to study animals this year along with what he is studying in HOD. He absolutely adores elemental science (biology) and actually BEGS to do it each day. For such a small investment, it is something I would definitely recommend.

My youngest son loves elemental science so much that he actually does it for FUN. He is very scienc-y and wanted to study animals this year along with what he is studying in HOD. He absolutely adores elemental science (biology) and actually BEGS to do it each day. For such a small investment, it is something I would definitely recommend.

This describes us . . . my oldest is also a 2nd grade science lover. We just added Elemental Bio for him to do on his own for the same reasons! He is beside himself with joy over the whole thing . . . .

Now if those books will just get here he can get started!! :D

This describes us . . . my oldest is also a 2nd grade science lover. We just added Elemental Bio for him to do on his own for the same reasons! He is beside himself with joy over the whole thing . . . .

Now if those books will just get here he can get started!! :D

The only thing we didn't like was the habitat study from the Van Cleve book. UGH! Even the author of Elemental Science tells you in the guide that it is "dry" and boy, was it. We ended up looking up the climates online and just pulling out her "answer chart" and trying to draw what he thought the area would be like. I am so glad we got past that week and kept going! The rest has been amazingly fun. :)

I finally ordered the Intro to Science just because I had heard so many great things and it is pretty inexpensive. My 6 year old twins and my almost 4 year old really like it. We already are doing MFW with the occasional FIAR book so probably didn't need anymore science but the experiments are really short and easy at least so far and they have enjoyed them. I don't feel like I have to do the whole thing since I have other stuff but if I have a little extra time we'll do an experiment.

I've been thinking about getting the chemistry; what we are doing now for bio is not working, and her bio is too "young" for my kids, and she's coming out with a more advanced one for next year. Le sigh. I just don't know when I could get the science encyclopedia for it.

Ha, Emma. I've been eyeing ES too, even though we're happy with our mix of BFSU and homemade topical studies. What keeps me on track is that I want all the disciplines within science studied concurrently as well. As a result, I say ES is my back-up in case my plan is failing. I'm planning on getting ES Chemistry and Physics once we teach 4th and 5th Years.

:iagree: We are on week 7 and my kids ask to do science first every day. The only thing we do different is I bit the bullet and bought the Draw Write Now books that correspond to the animals (there is a list on her website as to which books these are) and I make my kids draw the animal every day instead of cut and paste from her pages in the back. This gives them science, writing/copywork, and drawing all in one lesson. Yippee!!

The author, Paige, has a great grasp of what kids that age should be getting and doing. Per her recommendation, my 1st grader copies 1 -2 sentences per animal whereas my 3rd grader composes her own 3-4 sentences per animal. They have learned a lot about animals. I can't wait to get to the human body study. It has been a GREAT fit for our family.

AND Paige herself responds to emails, questions, etc. How cool is that!?

And for those of us with older elementary, kids who just can't get enough of science, every week has a box in the teacher's manual "Want More?" It suggests additional animals to read about and suggests an extra experiment to do.

OH! That reminds me- I have yet to come across an experiment that required me to go shopping for something specific. EVERYTHING has been in house. some of the experiments fall into the category of "Why are we doing this?" but the kids LOVE those experiments and it starts to introduce them to the scientific process; there are experiment write up pages and everything.

Great science curriculum, especially for the price. She could up it $10 per packet and it would STILL be MORE than worth the money.

We like it, too, but am having to add another curriculum that is Christian. I do not like the fact that God is not mentioned and all books used are evolution based. Next time I will choose something that is written by a CHristian publisher, so I won't have to add.

Dd5 loves the Biology. She even opens her science binder, gets down the books (which she pretends she is at the library and I am the librarian) and proceeds to do her own interpretation of science by herself at least 3 times a week. We will definitely be getting it for next year as well.

I've been thinking about getting the chemistry; what we are doing now for bio is not working, and her bio is too "young" for my kids, and she's coming out with a more advanced one for next year. Le sigh. I just don't know when I could get the science encyclopedia for it.

We are doing Chem and do not use the Science Encyclopedia. I HATE the Usborne's and so does my DD. I just google whatever we are working on and pick a site or two. I checked a coupole books out of the library that have to do with Chem and we are doing just fine.

We are doing Chem and do not use the Science Encyclopedia. I HATE the Usborne's and so does my DD. I just google whatever we are working on and pick a site or two. I checked a coupole books out of the library that have to do with Chem and we are doing just fine.

Thank you for that! I might not put it off so long then..

Slightly off topic, but what is it you don't like about it? I just bought it and we love our Usborne History Encyclopedia. I'm especially excited about the links.