Menu

I just read and enjoyed The Help and Mao's Last Dancer...what next?

I have been reading mostly nonfiction for SO long because it's hard to find fiction that is pretty clean, and light reading but not TOO light. The books I mentioned are about the level I like. Not in the mood for classics, and I am not an Oprah's Book Club person where there are all these hidden meanings in the book, etc.-too deep for me as I'm falling asleep with my book at night-lol! I also have had a rough year so I don't want any weighty or sad topics.

Any suggestions? :)

Sorry, no book recommendations at the moment, but wasn't Mao's Last Dancer wonderful!! I loved it! THe movie is great too, although it doesn't follow the book exactly. I just loved how Li Cunxin spoke about the strength and love of his family.

Mary

ETA: I am a little over half-way through Laura Bush's autobiography and I'm really enjoying it.

Mary---LOVE love love Mao's!! My mom saw the movie and loved it. She wants to take me to the movie but had to go out of town so I figured I'd read the book in the meantime-it is SO good! I'm not quite to the end and I'm trying to stretch it out til I find another book. Plus I don't want it to end!!

I will look into LB's autobiog too, thanks!

Although this is non-fiction, I recently enjoyed reading Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, and it would follow nicely after reading a book like The Help.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series was an intense ride if you want more fiction. It kept me completely engrossed the entire time.

I enjoyed The Lovely Bones and am working my way through The Book Thief.

If you're looking for low key & not sad, my opinion would be to skip these. I found The Lovely Bones horrific (jmho). I loved The Book Thief, but it is definitely a tear-jerker (again, jmho).

Although this is non-fiction, I recently enjoyed reading Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

:iagree:

Some additional suggestions (some fiction, some non-fiction):

The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie

The Glass Castle; Half Broke Horses, both by Jeannette Walls

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World by Jack Weatherford

Iron & Silk by Mark Salzman

Whatever You Do, Don't Run: True Tales of a Botswana Safari Guide by Peter Allison

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

Packing for Mars by Mary Roach